How far should Anonymity in rumors go?

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Puciek

Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:18 pm

Voxumo wrote:
Puciek wrote:
Voxumo wrote:
It would have taken 6 ooc months... about this time actually, maybe even earlier as I believe he celebrated a birthday while on grid.
And did that go through, even though it required only 6 months?
No, because the player vanished and hasn't been on since January. But were they still playing today, I can imagine it would have, especially with the written contract that was made. We can't account for OOC matters that draw us away from the game.
That was my point. Plots that longs almost never work out be it for OOC randomness, or IC randomness, or a mix of the above. It's simply too dynamic of a world where players phase in and phase out for those things to make sense between actual PCs. And if on top of that it may have unpleasant connotations to some people, which this clearly has, why do it?
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:22 pm

Seems like a thing to come out of this is perhaps we shouldn't let people make characters younger than the IC age of marriage/consent of 16. There are policies against certain types of RP anyways, but maybe for reasons listed here it's just a bad idea if people can and will twist/misconstrue things and it's worrisome.

Torturing, killing, and sacrificing people to demons has negative connotations and that happens. Even to or with threat to rather young people on grid. People openly clamour to be more racists to others, so the whole "don't do things that might bother others" is a loose framework.

If people were that honestly RL concerned, I feel like bringing it to staff was the thing to do, not hold on to a IC/OOC blended concern as a nuke to save for later.

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:26 pm

Puciek wrote:
Voxumo wrote:
Puciek wrote:And did that go through, even though it required only 6 months?
No, because the player vanished and hasn't been on since January. But were they still playing today, I can imagine it would have, especially with the written contract that was made. We can't account for OOC matters that draw us away from the game.
That was my point. Plots that longs almost never work out be it for OOC randomness, or IC randomness, or a mix of the above. It's simply too dynamic of a world where players phase in and phase out for those things to make sense between actual PCs. And if on top of that it may have unpleasant connotations to some people, which this clearly has, why do it?
Again, I can not pretend to know what I don't know. If no one ever said or implied they were uncomfortable... am I suppose to just read minds? The two that it effected most were fine with it, and oocly we talked about it alot, to make sure we did not cross lines and stayed within the range of what was reasonable.

As for your comment about plots... Rhea's plot lasted two ooc years. While many people came and went, and actions had to be changed to adjust to these bumps, the main outcome of the plot remained the same. Longterm plots are perfectly doable, it's just hard to find players willing to invest that much time. But it's doable. Should meaningful longterm plots just never take place because of what could happen? I don't like dictating my rp based on what could happen. If we did we'd have mages who never practice their magery, as that could mean they would die or be pyred. The unforeseeable future should not dictate present rp, as if it did this game would be incredibly boring.
Last edited by Voxumo on Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lurks the Forums

Pixie

Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:27 pm

I reaaaaally don't feel like Voxumo should have to defend his character's intentions OOCly. I also really don't feel like the source of the rumor comment should have to defend their position OOCly (and actually, kudos to whomever you are for resisting the urge).

Vicannia did what Vicannia did and it didn't break the rules. Somebody threw shade at her for it and it also didn't break the rules. The criticism she got was harsher than the norm in the eyes of some, and the situation behind it was creepier than the norm in the eyes of some.

Probably good to move on? Maybe talk out lingering concerns with Kinaed?

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:24 am

As a person who was personally accused of pedophilia on my char, on TI, for a romance my char had between two teenagers (Aurian and Briec if anyone recalls that), I sympathize with the extreme level of offense this rumor caused. I was not happy when it happened to me.

This definitely was an upsetting rumor for people with issues around the topic. That said, none of the people accused of being whores enjoyed it either.

I have no intention of judging which thing various groups find offensive is or isn't okay. Or which triggers are worthy of our notice and which aren't. Rumors are nasty. TI's rumor mill has a history of being very nasty.

If a rumor breaks the rumor policy, it goes. If it does not, it stays. A rumor cannot break the netsex policy. Discussing pedophilia or rape is not against the rules, engaging in pedophilia or rape is.

If you have triggers, you may want to read "HELP TRIGGERS".

I hope this provides clarity regarding Policy's stance on these matters.

Zeita

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:59 am

I'm personally of the opinion that if something can't (and shouldn't) happen IC, it shouldn't be a part of rumors or discussion, for is that not unthematic? This applies to this particular topic, and also the change to rape policy which I disagree with. I don't want to have anything to do with RPing anything touching either of these subjects, and I'm unsure what it adds to the game except for bitterness and discomfort.

That said, as long as that is the policy of the game, I have to accept that it is a possibility that either could come up when I choose to play here- I accept that by logging on and engaging in the game. As help triggers states in redtext, 'TI's environment is NOT a safe space.'

As for rumors, I'm comfortable with the anonymity aspect. I've seen them when they're not deidentified, and nobody bothers posting anything with any teeth- as you'd expect.

• Information