Titles and More Titles!

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Pixie

Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:17 pm

Is there anywhere that a comprehensive list of what IC titles mean can be accessed by new(ish) players? If not, could we put one together?

I'm assuming that nobility and at least second generation gentrified characters would have grown up in a culture that would have afforded them the basic knowledge of what it means to say, be the Proconsul or the Justiciar - that they'd know what basic duty the titled individual has and what level of respect was afforded to that individual just by hearing them referenced.

For a lot of titles it's mostly common sense. The religious titles reflect Catholicism and we can draw from comparisons to real life to puzzle out what each title really means. Royal titles, same bag. Similar enough to real life monarchies that they're natural. Guild-specific titles need no external definitions, I don't think, since they're exclusive to the guild.

I guess what I'm mainly after here is a potentially long-winded list of the more ambiguous titles and their definitions within the scope of TI: Legacy. "Help titles" is fantastic for knowing what to call them in conversation, but it doesn't define what these people do - something I assume would be known by simple merit of growing up in proper society.

Titles that I personally could use some help defining, though I'm sure there's others!
  • Justiciar - I'm pretty certain at this point that this is a very high ranking Reeve. Maybe even the highest ranked Reeve?
  • Proconsul - No idea.
  • Chancellor - Nope.
  • Earl Marshall - High ranking Knight?
  • Knight - I know what a Knight is in the common sense of the term. Any difference for TI?
  • Lord/Lady Regent - Confused about this one. Just a clarification would be helpful here.
  • Courtier - Either a person who just hangs out around the Court a lot or something I don't know!
  • Cardinal vs. High Inquisitor - What's the distinction here? Who is higher ranked?
Halp.

Dice

Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:02 pm

Oh goodness. We need this. But to start:

Justiciar - The highest ranking Reeve. Only 1 in all of Lithmore. Great Lord (gets called 'my lord' and has noble legal rights while in office, even if a commoner.) Reeves' 1st GL.

Proconsul - The highest ranking Reeve in each duchy. 5 - One for Lithmore, Tubor, Vavard, Vandago and Farin. The Proconsul of Lithmore is the Reeves' 2nd GL.

Chancellor of the Exchequer - The Court's treasurer - controls the Kingdom's economic policy. A Great Lord.

Earl Marshall - The highest ranking Knight. Great Lord. 1st GL of the Knights in the past when they were a separate guild; currently 2nd GL in the Order.

Knight - Knights on TI mostly hunt mages; secular purposes are secondary.

Lord/Lady Regent - If the Monarch is underage, the Regent functions as their voice at Court. In practice, more or less equal power to a Monarch. Precedent has established they have Ducal rank (hence His or Her Grace.) 1st GL of Court guild, at least currently.

Courtier - Just somebody who swots around being fancy at Court.

Cardinal vs. Grand Inquisitor - Cardinal is the first GL of the Order. Technically the Cardinal of Lithmore, the first among 5 equals (Cardinals for the other duchies). Controls all clerical matters. The Grand Inquisitor is the head of the Order's inquisitional arm and has authority over all matters of magery; while the Cardinal is the GI's boss, they can't really override them in Inquisitional stuff.

Pixie

Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:15 pm

That's fantastic! Thanks so much.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:43 pm

Don't all of those titles have individual help files?

I might brush them up to make sure all of the requested information is in there...

Pixie

Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:20 pm

Kinaed wrote:Don't all of those titles have individual help files?

I might brush them up to make sure all of the requested information is in there...
Oh man, they sure do have individual helpfiles... I'm an idiot. Thanks, Kinaed!

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:32 pm

Hehe, no worries! Don't feel bad, please. I've done it too.

• Information