City Lore

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:18 am

Had any good RP that'd make great city lore? Something happen in the Town Hall or Library while you were there? Maybe just an idea for flavour text?

If yes, post it here! Each entry used or of value will earn QP!

Callista

Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:19 am

Ummm, not to be a stickler, but isn't the point of lore that only those with the skill (and who actually look for it) will know the stories? If they get posted here...they why exactly should anyone try and get the skill? :)

Maybe an offer to have them pboarded to whoever is collecting them would be more appropriate.

Just my 2 silvers.

(EDIT: written as someone who paid to get the skill at chargen as part of the bardness. So yeah, it'd be nice to have it all not just given away freely :) )

Kinaed

Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:25 am

People don't seem to read the forums as frequently as I do, so I'm not sure if everyone will read them before they go in... and I imagine some will be forgotten over time to be rediscovered.

As it is, I'll take lore in any format I can get it - pboard, mud mail, email, whatever. Please post where you'd like. QP available!

registerednuisance

Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:04 pm

I wonder if this is too unwieldy or not, but I wonder if major mages burned or who had famous burnings could have a lore, if one is submitted?

Ex. 'look around' lore Bob "bob nearly killed the GI by spitting fire at his face during his burning"?

Kinaed

Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:05 am

Absolutely happy to add those. :)

Kinaed

Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:04 pm

Anything new worth adding Lore to the game for? Lore entries will attract QP rewards!

Platypus

Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:22 am

To really attract people to lore as a skill, I'd suggest that it reveal hidden doors to secret passages/hidey holes. Only people with high lore would have access; and higher levels would result in cooler locations of entrances.

Gavin

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:35 pm

To really make city lore more useful, I think everyone should get some version of it for free (say, to rank 25), and the lore should be visible in the description of the room-- at least signaling that the room has lore.

If you can slot the different versions of lore into circles, to borrow from the rumor system, and I know you like to use POLCA for stuff, I'd love to see troubadours get damned near everything; Reeves get anything crime-related; Orderites get anything religion-related; and so forth.

And, anyone who buys up the skill would get access to everything, to represent a real scholar.

Bottom line: lore is just cool, and making it more accessible is a good thing, I think.

Delilah

Wed May 01, 2013 2:40 pm

Gavin, you are right. I have City Lore on my troub and it is bitchin'!

Also, perhaps some lore can be added southside about Elysa's recent crime spree, something in a local tavern about Marisa and Ari's wedding festivities(given how widespread they were) and mayhaps we should add to River Square about the most recent and odd request-to-burn of the crazy old Farin grandpa like man. Lol

Inertia

Wed May 01, 2013 11:05 pm

I'm not opposed to the idea of there being different sorts of lore, though I'd be reluctant to suggest additional skills to cover them. Still, a scholar and a streetwise hood rat probably value information differently, and it might make the skill appeal to a wider audience if there were some way to filter for specific sorts of information.

I like in-game books and records but the medium, in my opinion, makes it difficult to really digest all the interesting information they hold. Holding self-guided tours to learn "what they don't want you to know" about old criminals and the like would certainly keep me logged in and exploring. Memorable RP should definitely be posted to IC Events and/or submitted as lore, but it's on players to let Staff know what they think created a lasting impression.

• Information