Regency Quest Feedback

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Applesauce

Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:58 pm

Kinaed wrote:Herazade has a reputation and a history, but I also saw her work as hard as any other one of the contenders, so I don't feel that her success was based just on the fact that she existed previously.
I don't doubt that, I think this is less about "Hera shouldn't have won" and more an overarching process issue.

I guess we'll see in six months, now that there are two more nobles to go out and make frenemies.

Sephone

Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:51 am

It would probably be a lot fairer if everyone was an NPC, or everyone was already an established noble, but not a mix of both. I actually think It would be more fair if the nobles were like every other guild in Lithmore and applications went to staff, and the staff chose from those applications. That way, we would get a mix of different people having a chance at the role and a mix of different types of characters in the position. Every other guild in the game, the GL is sorted out by an application being given to staff and the staff simply picks the application they think is best.

There's plenty of chance for mud-slinging once people are in the game, plenty of chances to be able to promote and support and remove that support. That would also eliminate any sort of OOC influence of people just supporting their friends, also.

Leech

Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:09 pm

The nobles ARE just like any other guild... when a noble slot is open (there can only be a certain number of nobles) anyone can app in. I don't like the idea of people getting any sort of advantage over current PCs - and hopefully we won't have many 'npc' nobles come up from the fray in future runnings, as we get more nobles in play that can run.
Player of: Alexander ab Courtland

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:21 pm

Leech wrote:The nobles ARE just like any other guild... when a noble slot is open (there can only be a certain number of nobles) anyone can app in. I don't like the idea of people getting any sort of advantage over current PCs - and hopefully we won't have many 'npc' nobles come up from the fray in future runnings, as we get more nobles in play that can run.
Did some calculations. regency quests will run for the next three ooc years. every year there will be two regency quests. Now if for some odd reason every next regency quest has NPC nobles who apped in become regent and runner up that will end up with 12 new nobles ,not including any random nobles staff may allow created, by the end of the regency quests. 6 if npc nobles only end up with with either regent or runner-up. So 6 at least 12 at most. However the likely hood of npcs getting both regent and runner-up each time is slim to none and I predict regents/runner ups shall likely be the same people over and over again.. But still this is a very slim possibility but still possible.

Just wanted to state this.
Lurks the Forums

Leech

Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:05 pm

Just like it's a good thing when we have an Earl Marshal stick around for more than two months, I think it's a good thing for the Regent to be the same person for as long as possible, if possible. Of course the nature of the regency game changes that. In the end, I don't think this idea of 'everyone should have a shot' is applicable to guild lead roles.

No, everyone shouldn't have a shot. Being a GL is damn hard work (especially court GL), and most people quit, off their characters, or go inactive after getting the position. With that in mind, I like the fact that it is a political game. But again, not everyone is going to get a shot at it, and nor should they.

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:19 pm

Leech wrote:Just like it's a good thing when we have an Earl Marshal stick around for more than two months, I think it's a good thing for the Regent to be the same person for as long as possible, if possible. Of course the nature of the regency game changes that. In the end, I don't think this idea of 'everyone should have a shot' is applicable to guild lead roles.

No, everyone shouldn't have a shot. Being a GL is damn hard work (especially court GL), and most people quit, off their characters, or go inactive after getting the position. With that in mind, I like the fact that it is a political game. But again, not everyone is going to get a shot at it, and nor should they.
Exactly. GL of any guild is not something everyone should have a shot at. Your character should work for that position not just be handed it because 'staff' like your application among others. It should be something dealt with through the guild since their leader will have a major impact on them.

Court GL is something that should be sacred and kept behind closed doors. It is something that should be as hard to get as breaking into the whitehouse should be.

I mean I understand the whole 'Let's be fair to everyone and give everyone a chance' But screw equality when it comes to such a major role. You are playing the bloody ruler of the kingdom.. or at least defacto ruler. You can screw anyone over you really want because whose going to stand up to you? It is too important of role to just give away like this. Yeah I would love a chance to play regent. Did I ever think samantha would get it? Hell no. I was there more just for the political game. Samantha would be a horrible regent.
Lurks the Forums

Bennie

Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:52 pm

Voxumo wrote:
Leech wrote:Just like it's a good thing when we have an Earl Marshal stick around for more than two months, I think it's a good thing for the Regent to be the same person for as long as possible, if possible. Of course the nature of the regency game changes that. In the end, I don't think this idea of 'everyone should have a shot' is applicable to guild lead roles.

Exactly. GL of any guild is not something everyone should have a shot at. Your character should work for that position not just be handed it because 'staff' like your application among others. It should be something dealt with through the guild since their leader will have a major impact on them.

Court GL is something that should be sacred and kept behind closed doors. It is something that should be as hard to get as breaking into the whitehouse should be.

I mean I understand the whole 'Let's be fair to everyone and give everyone a chance' But screw equality when it comes to such a major role. You are playing the bloody ruler of the kingdom.. or at least defacto ruler. You can screw anyone over you really want because whose going to stand up to you? It is too important of role to just give away like this. Yeah I would love a chance to play regent. Did I ever think samantha would get it? Hell no. I was there more just for the political game. Samantha would be a horrible regent.
Ultimately, I think this about summarizes my opinion. Part of me wants GL positions to represent a lot more concerted work on the part if a player to get the position, or at least making this true for the two monarch positions: Queen and Cardinal. It matters less for the other GL positions, though part of me would like to see GLs being characters who really climbed the ranks of the guild and got the position through RP, didn't just app in. I respect the apping.. it has it's upsides, especially in that it does allow new players a chance to run GL characters, which is a good thing, ultimately.

However, the stakes are too high with the higher positions which represent near absolute power in the game. As Cardinal or Monarch, you can have anyone offed at any time. RPwise, you are owed respect by every character (at least publicly), and you have massive stores of resources at your beck and call.

Honestly, I'd be into seeing a quest of some sort for the election of the Cardinal. Maybe having the Cardinal be someone who worked through a whole RP line for the spot might help on getting longer tenures with less quick turnovers. Then again, this might just be me trying to sneakily force more Church RP on you guys.

EDIT: To be more on topic, I enjoyed the Quest well enough. It was a bit long for my taste, but then again, I wasn't a contender and was on a favorable time zone. For the record, the debate was a total player initiative, iirc, not something staff planned. Any oddness of the planning of it can be put to the error/RP-desires of a given player(s).

In the end, I like having quests to fill positions like this. It helps emphasize that the game, and getting ahead in the game, is about RP. Part of me wishes I had contended, if only to play the game. In the future, I do hope for more PCs and less NPCs and I also hope for things to be more interesting in that action will start early, and we can have a suitable bloodbath.

Leech

Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:56 pm

Just throwing it out there: the fact that staff pick GLs out of a list of applicants doesn't bother me. Sometimes that's the only way to go, because the guild is dead or filled with people who don't want to lead. That's fine, by me, as long as it's all done under a strict, 'who will benefit the game most in this position' kinda deal.

The role of Queen Regent is obviously a bit different, and back in context, my comments were made in response to the talk of balancing the scales for long-time PC players and rolled up previously NPC nobles. There's going to be imbalance, you can't escape it, and nor do I think it's a problem. You're getting a chance to apply for a huge position with a character you just made. That's pretty big, in of itself - and you CAN win as a newly made character if you campaign fiercely enough. I definitely saw potential for that in this last race. Beside that, somebody could have actually just had Hera killed. Nobody even approached me about it! If somebody was like 'Hey Casimir, kill this person and I'll do you some favors as Regent later down the road' I would have jumped all over it.

As a newly created formerly NPC noble, you have options. Yes, I do agree they should get some influence points to throw around. But mostly, I believe that most of the power in campaigning comes from -doing- things. Not talking about how you're going to do things, not donating stuff - actually doing things.

Also, not once did I see somebody hold a STP aside from the debate (which was a group thing, apparently?). It didn't even have to be anything big - just a public tea party, or a bandit raid, or something small done on the fly. STPs don't need to be these big, pre-planned events.

In general, get involved. You don't need IP, or QP, or XP. Just go out on a limb. They are previously NPC characters - worst case scenario, you'll have fun bad guy to play around with for a while.

• Information