Latent Detection

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Should mages be able to detect latency?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:50 pm

Yes
44%
No
19%
Maybe (see comments below)
38%

Total votes: 16
Applesauce

Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:15 pm

Kinaed wrote:I think I'd like a spell that, when activated, may allow detection when a player touches another player. I probably wouldn't just let it be that mages can detect latents, and I'd probably want to let a latent know when there's a possibility that they could be/were detected.

I'm not sure if just a touch should do, or something a bit more extreme - a kiss, maybe? *ponder*
If it's not going to be limited to latents that WANT to be found, I definitely agree with making it a clear and deliberate attempt on behalf of the "detector". Maybe even threaded along the lines of "expose" (avoiding it could ICly be because you are just creeped out by the groping, not necessarily revealing latency).

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:53 pm

Bennie wrote: 1) This should only be available for higher levels
I personally agree with this. Fourth or fifth circles should be able to detect latents.. However I agree that it should be a spell that allows them to detect.. However perhaps the detection should be neutral. For example you may have someone who is a latent but not wanting to be awakened. Gives the mage reason to watch the person and see if they are mage material and even show signs of wanting to be awakened.. Some risk
Lurks the Forums

Applesauce

Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:22 pm

Maybe make it a silent pulse thing BUT the detection area is "donut-shaped". For example, if you're in the same room as a latent, you can silently pulse and you may not find any latents (and the latent would never know you checked). But if you're a creeper stalking someone from the next room, you can pulse and find out there's a latent nearby.

Might even be able to use the same distance behavior as "yell", so you know there's a mage up to 2 rooms in any direction. In the above example, you don't know whether it's the one person you see on "scan" immediately to the west, or someone you can't physically see an L-shape away from you. Still gives latents some plausible deniability if they don't want to be known to the mage. Who me? Naw, I saw some hooded creeper up the street though...

Voxumo

Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:19 pm

Applesauce wrote:Maybe make it a silent pulse thing BUT the detection area is "donut-shaped". For example, if you're in the same room as a latent, you can silently pulse and you may not find any latents (and the latent would never know you checked). But if you're a creeper stalking someone from the next room, you can pulse and find out there's a latent nearby.

Might even be able to use the same distance behavior as "yell", so you know there's a mage up to 2 rooms in any direction. In the above example, you don't know whether it's the one person you see on "scan" immediately to the west, or someone you can't physically see an L-shape away from you. Still gives latents some plausible deniability if they don't want to be known to the mage. Who me? Naw, I saw some hooded creeper up the street though...
Dem darn creepers. They be all up in here creepin.

But You pulse idea is really quite good in my opinion.Though there should still be some kind of risk.. perhaps a visible thing that says for example
'Kinaed eyes close briefly then reopen'
Lurks the Forums

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:27 am

General consensus is that, yes, mages should be able to detect latents.

This is how I propose to do it.

Fire spell, mage casts it on themselves. They can now passively detect latency and magic.

Detecting latency:

1) The nearer the latent is to awakening, the higher the chance of detection. This is determined by the code as we have auto awaken code that goes off on a timestamp. If the latent is near to blossoming, just standing near the latent might do it. The further out they are, the more interaction that is required.

2) Interaction is measured by familiarity. The higher your familiarity with the latent when this spell is activated, the more likely the mage will detect the latent.

3) Certain types of interactions will make detection much more likely, such as seeing their thoughts with auspex or using the breed command with the spell up.

Basically, you need to exceed a specific score with the latent, and how high that score is depends on the cumulation of familiarity, breed, and auspex points.

Possible Controversial Side-effect for Discussion:

Perhaps this spell can get a false positive off players who have magical affects on them, be it spells like Auspex, an attuned item, a magic item, offensive spells like Breathbinder or Hex, etc, and if a room effect is present, it won't work at all, blinded by magic. If we go this route, this spell may uncover other mages though.

Leech

Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:39 pm

I'm going to have sex with EVERYBODY when I have a mage.
Player of: Alexander ab Courtland

Voxumo

Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:15 pm

Kinaed wrote:General consensus is that, yes, mages should be able to detect latents.

This is how I propose to do it.

Fire spell, mage casts it on themselves. They can now passively detect latency and magic.

Detecting latency:

1) The nearer the latent is to awakening, the higher the chance of detection. This is determined by the code as we have auto awaken code that goes off on a timestamp. If the latent is near to blossoming, just standing near the latent might do it. The further out they are, the more interaction that is required.

2) Interaction is measured by familiarity. The higher your familiarity with the latent when this spell is activated, the more likely the mage will detect the latent.

3) Certain types of interactions will make detection much more likely, such as seeing their thoughts with auspex or using the breed command with the spell up.

Basically, you need to exceed a specific score with the latent, and how high that score is depends on the cumulation of familiarity, breed, and auspex points.

Possible Controversial Side-effect for Discussion:

Perhaps this spell can get a false positive off players who have magical affects on them, be it spells like Auspex, an attuned item, a magic item, offensive spells like Breathbinder or Hex, etc, and if a room effect is present, it won't work at all, blinded by magic. If we go this route, this spell may uncover other mages though.
Hmm.. Would it be limited to fire mages only? Perhaps make it a grey spell instead since we only have one spell in the grey area..

And leech your mages offspring shall inhabit the earth.
Lurks the Forums

Dice

Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:22 am

Let me second grey spell. This is one that really all mages ought to have, I think, and grey spells are sadly underutilized.

Also, I like what we discussed on OOC - give the latent some clue they've been pinged. Temi suggested a sense of an attraction toward the pinger. I like this, as it's recognizable and fun to RP, but not explicitly magical, and it makes sense: your energies resonating, blah blah.

Atholos

Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:30 am

I'm gonna go against grey spell here. I don't think it should be a grey spell because with this there would be two ways of finding mages, one: Good ol' Aquiel's. Two: This new spell. Aquiel's isn't a grey spell and pretty much every mage with a spell outside their element knows it. So what's to say the same thing wouldn't happen with this new spell?

Dice

Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:40 pm

Auspex has the lowest skill requirements in game; this would be 4th-5th circle. That's the difference.

I think any high-circle mage SHOULD be able to do this, too!

• Information