IC/OOC Crossover - The Bane of a RP Policy Imm's existence

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:49 am

I'm not big on guesses, but I figure that's because, as policy, I like things to be black and white. Yes, he used OOC info ICly, no she didn't, etc. I wish the world agreed with me and just made my job easy.

Okay, so as you all have seen, I've been working on an IC/OOC crossover case, and wouldn't you know, when it rains it pours. Another player or three popped up and said, "I have no proof, but I think there's a lot of that going on." Oh my. :/

Zanthia's player told me that she believes she in part got outted as Rubeus because some players who knew you needed to have someone on your remember list to cast on them were able to narrow down who met her and who didn't, then compare it against who was targetted. *boggle* What? Do people really sit there OOCly trying to figure this stuff out? Are they all that much more clever than I am? Once they do, do they really bring it into the IC game? And am I that naive?

Omg, my world is shattered. (Tongue in cheek)

Have a situation where someone knows OOCly, so finds a reason to guess ICly so they can confirm it. If the person doesn't confirm it, then they can be kicked for lying later on if caught. What if they know OOCly, and just can't stop thinking about it when they talk ICly? I've seen that very recently too, asking for things to be done in a certain IC manner that will uncover OOC knowledge. Oh, and the opposite. Mage tells everyone and sundry that they're a mage OOCly. 'Why did they tell me?' asks the befuddled player who couldn't give a whit, 'Maybe they want to claim I did IC/OOC crossover if they get caught?'

Well, the truth is that I know the answers to none of these questions, but I have a stance to take as a policy imm:

None of what I'm talking about above is okay. If someone is playing the game this way, they're not RPing, they're metagaming. The game's about RP.

But I can't help but notice that we all do it. We're not all jerks. Once we've been touched by knowledge, we're poisoned with it. Oh, sure, some things are more wrong than others. Some things hurt other players whilst others are just good fun or socializing. But the more you try not to think 'Sephone's a mage. Sephone's a mage. Omg, I'm roleplaying with a mage...', well, the more you think about it and the even more prevalent it gets in your mind and actions. Irony, huh?

It makes me think of Eve taking a bite of that apple and realizing she was naked; then realizing that her man was an ignorant lout without the apple, so passing it on. I'm not particularly religious, but I think I just got more out of that story than I had in the past.

Anyway, this is TI: Legacy, not The Inquisition, The Inquisition II, or The Inquisition: Atonement. I'd like this game to be different, most especially I want to see a lot of that meta gaming recognized for what it is and hope that people will be fair and respectful to their RP partners. Please? Please?

On the flip side, it's there. It's real. We all encounter OOC info from time to time. "RPI" games remove OOC channels to avoid it, but I'll bet it happens on their games too. I don't mind if my friend shows me a funny log of her kissing a frog and daring the Grand Inquisitor to. Everyone should see that... so long as they don't go telling everyone that the GI actually did it and ruining his dignity... right?

What's the right balance? C'mon, players, tell each other when it's okay to know something, when you want to hear it, when you don't, and when it's okay for your character to know it.

/rant and ramble

... no one should let me post at night when I'm drunk and tired. For realz.

• Information