Our Main Flaw

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Leech

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:01 pm

It'd also be cool if we could draw in an emote, instead of having to set our draw set message every time for specific scenes. That was a problem I saw in recent happenings.
Player of: Alexander ab Courtland

Takta

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:23 pm

Yeah. And step in an emote. Generally, append an emote to almost anything, with the actual coded command at the end for clarity like [step] or [draw], or the coded text on a second line?

Argider

Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:09 am

I thought step was already integrated with emotes? It just doesn't show the [step] part afterward, making it difficult to clearly tell that a person has stepped (and I'm thinking it probably should show [step], actually).

One of our problems, I think, is that for 95% of scenes, people don't need to worry about where they are standing in the room vis-a-vis the map, so there's no effort made to "step into" the middle of the room when they arrive, for example. Then, something happens, and suddenly everyone has to "find" their map positions after-the-fact of combat being initiated in some way, resulting in a lot of kajiggering and osays.

Even if we implement some of the suggestions, we're still going to get situations where people say, "My character is in a chair at the table, so he should really be in the middle of the room, is it okay to move him there now?"

Furthermore, in a crowded room, it's a headache to find everyone on the map - people often stand on top of each other when they arrive, and it often seems like the legend/key is filled up by NPC followers and mounts. At the very least, I wouldn't mind a fix that sorted the list by PCs first. The position command helps, but it can be a lot of scroll in a crowded space.

Aside from that, I wonder if there were some way to encourage people (or make it easier) to get in the habit of positioning themselves the moment they enter a room, whether they expect combat or not? Like, a single command that automatically moves me to the center of the room, without me having to type "step west" five times? Or do we have something like that already that I don't know about?

Rothgar

Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:16 am

Its really odd to me that people don't worry about map location and look direction and all that. There -is- one character that I applaud for making the most out of the 'watch' and 'guard' commands, but there's a whoooooole bunch of other commands that are position and distance sensitive. Whisper, palm, tcant, all those good things... Its kinda strange that nearly none of the 'covert' characters I've met make use of these, barely at all.

Dunno. Just thought I'd point that out.
Rothgar Astartes, Fyurii Rynnya, Nils 'Smith' Mattias, Edward Darson, Curos Arents.

Gavin

Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:33 am

Rothgar wrote:Its really odd to me that people don't worry about map location and look direction and all that. There -is- one character that I applaud for making the most out of the 'watch' and 'guard' commands, but there's a whoooooole bunch of other commands that are position and distance sensitive. Whisper, palm, tcant, all those good things... Its kinda strange that nearly none of the 'covert' characters I've met make use of these, barely at all.

Dunno. Just thought I'd point that out.
Honest answer? In 95% of scenes, they don't matter, so it's wasted effort. Besides, I like subverting the code, such as posing that I'm whispering -- so that other players can hear what I'm saying but their characters cannot, usually when I'm saying something funny. And if scenes never shift from cooperative to contentious, things like positioning don't really matter too much. I mostly avoid Church Square-esque RP as much as possible, meaning if I'm at a table with someone, we've both consented to palming/stealing/groping (not really) anyway.

Takta

Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:58 pm

Argider wrote: Aside from that, I wonder if there were some way to encourage people (or make it easier) to get in the habit of positioning themselves the moment they enter a room, whether they expect combat or not? Like, a single command that automatically moves me to the center of the room, without me having to type "step west" five times? Or do we have something like that already that I don't know about?
Move center'll do it.

Argider

Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:12 pm

The more you know. There it is, listed under help movement move. And I was just informed about the range command, too! Thanks for the tips, Takta. I think I'm going to make a point to try to be more aware of my character's position when entering rooms from now on, even for seemingly innocuous RP.

• Information