Rec_Level Review

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Should mages and covert guild members get a Rec_Level bonus?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:04 am

Yes
50%
No
25%
Maybe - comments and caveats below
25%

Total votes: 8
Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:04 am

Dear Players,

Staff have stated that recommend % increase is too low per recommendation, so I'm thinking of increasing it to 4% per recommendation.

In addition, however, our % of active mages compared to the overall active pbase is at serious low... I mean, as low as I remember it being since we started TI: Legacy back in Jan2011. I'm also keen to see guilds like the thieves and manus prosper. We need bad guys. To encourage players to create them, I'm thinking of giving them a flat rec level bonus of 20%. That means if you join the manus, brotherhood, or play a mage, your base rec level would start at 50% instead of 30. That being said, I'm not sure how wise this idea is, and would love to hear from other informed users of our system (that means you!)

What do you think? Please tick the poll and provide comments if you have anything you'd like to share.

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:11 am

Well i honestly think that amount is a bit high. I have played several different mages and must say i think 10 or 15% would be more reasonable. but i think it should only be in effect after the mage has been awakened. i mean someone could play a latent mage all they want and just pass off as a normal person in the game. But that is just my opinion.
Lurks the Forums

Puciek

Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:22 am

I agree with the idea, unsure about the number though. Baddies usually have much shorter life span so lets reward them handsomely :)
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:57 am

Latents will awaken in game eventually, if they like it or not, but I see your point and have no issue with taking that on board.

Also, do others think 20% bonus is too much?

Remember, the aim is to get people to create baddies since good chars live so, so much longer. What happens is that the baddies die out, then the good chars are left over. Sometimes the baddie players don't go back to it too.

Puciek

Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:09 am

Maybe as an alternative their death bonus could be upped in general? Since they have much shorter lifespan, it would be pretty fair.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Leech

Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:29 am

Oh yay! A subject I can actually pretend to have experience on!

As a player, I'm completely fine with the rec increase the way it is. In all honesty, it's perfect. I wouldn't want a superficial, OOC reward like that for playing a baddie. Playing a baddie is, in itself, reward enough. You get to do so much awesome shit.

I honestly think the key to more baddies is to get more players, not to try to tip the balance we already have. You guys have a wonderful MUD, a wonderful coder, builders on crack, and great policy management. I'm just hoping, and waiting, for the moment when you advertise, steal all of Armageddon's players, and have 30+ players on at all times.

In short, making superficial bonuses to being a baddie is a no-no. Give them lore, give them cool skills, give them cool places and things to do. Don't give them set in stone OOC rewards, because I really believe that will come back to bite you in the ass - and the people you want playing a baddie shouldn't do it because they'll get more death XP. They should do it because it's fun.
Player of: Alexander ab Courtland

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:59 am

Leech wrote:Oh yay! A subject I can actually pretend to have experience on!

As a player, I'm completely fine with the rec increase the way it is. In all honesty, it's perfect. I wouldn't want a superficial, OOC reward like that for playing a baddie. Playing a baddie is, in itself, reward enough. You get to do so much awesome shit.

I honestly think the key to more baddies is to get more players, not to try to tip the balance we already have. You guys have a wonderful MUD, a wonderful coder, builders on crack, and great policy management. I'm just hoping, and waiting, for the moment when you advertise, steal all of Armageddon's players, and have 30+ players on at all times.

In short, making superficial bonuses to being a baddie is a no-no. Give them lore, give them cool skills, give them cool places and things to do. Don't give them set in stone OOC rewards, because I really believe that will come back to bite you in the ass - and the people you want playing a baddie shouldn't do it because they'll get more death XP. They should do it because it's fun.
You know i must agree with leech. i never really thought of it that way he brings a valid point. I think more skill and cool places would be awesome
Lurks the Forums

Temi

Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:18 pm

I wouldn't think of it as a reward for playing a baddie so much as a nod to the fact that baddies by their nature are bringing the likelihood of death upon themselves. I have heard people comment before that they would like to play such a character, but they know they would need to put a fair amount of xp into it, and in a short matter of time, they know that xp will just be gone altogether, because of the loss of the character. Perhaps they should do it because it's fun, but they likely won't ever find out how fun it is if they are worried about it being a bad investment.

As it stands now, some players can obviously manage the balance to get a good amount of recommends, but I worry about the ones who are just getting into it and their first attempt pushes it straight into death. Or those who manage sufficiently covert that the RP that they cause is hard to pin on them.

Geras

Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:00 pm

I think a higher starting reimbursement rate + a higher boost for each recommendation + no decay on recommendations over time would suffice IMHO. I think the concept is sound. The numbers just need to be tweaked up and the decay of your recommendation % needs to be done away with.

Geras

Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:01 pm

With a cap at 75% or something perhaps. I don't think mages or thieves specifically need a bonus. A villanous Justiciar can generate as much fun conflict and RP as a good thief or mage.

• Information