Debrief - Invasion Finale & Palace Battle

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

SlyViolin

Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:09 am

:(

I'ld like to think Gwen went through a lot of character building.

Julea

Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:16 am

I went into the quest with no expectations on winning or losing. I actually would of been quite happy with a loss, because of the story that would of unfolded from doing so. Because it is all about the story.

I wasn't overly targeted with a lot of the spells because my character hid a lot, and managed to somehow avoid it and not be targeted (possibly because they didn't see her a threat). So, I felt the effects of it all a lot less. I was less frustrated than some of the other players.

But I can understand the frustrations that people were having, though I would not of reacted in quite the same way (or at least I hope I would not of!). I don't think things were quite balanced right (not that I think that both sides had to be even - but more that I think some of the spells could do with some adjusting and the issue with actions outside of combat could do with addressing).

It was not anyone's fault, not the mages who were doing what they could to win, like we were. Not the staff, a lot of this staff might not of come up before because.. well big combat scenes don't happen often.

As well, from my experience.. there always is a bit of ooc agro with large scale combat scenes like this.

I think it might be good to have some sort of regular testing of the combat code to try iron out more of the bugs.

Lien.
Julea/Lien/Ashe/Adaline

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:27 am

Hmm, I think you have some good points, Mattc.

In my mind, however, I think that a large melee battle like that can't really expect to be very RPed. With 12 people in a room fighting, waiting for everyone to take an emote... I shudder. In a large part, the code backing we have is part and parcel with playing a MUD too - our code is far more comfortable for RP than the usual MUD (kill x, combat scroll ensues, maybe type a pre-scripted command every few rounds...).

Yes, a few players did get mighty upset, but I think a lot of them felt like there was a huge amount to lose even though no one's life was actually on the line. Still, in a tense situation like that, people will become upset.

mattc

Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:14 pm

I think you raise a good point there, Kinaed. RP will be a very different flavor in a melee, and that's to be expected. I still think there was a quite a bit of stuff that was... anti-RP, but that's going to be more a matter of taste and hard to articulate, so I'll just acknowledge that people will approach the issue differently.

I don't think the core point of my post was wrong, though, if only because these behaviors surface very frequently outside of large staff-run quests. Quests just make it all more visible.

I finished the quest with a very bad taste in my mouth, and very little had to do with code.

Geras

Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:09 pm

One point that just came to mind was the move command. It would be nice if there was some sort of command that would take you to your weapon's distance with an opponent. Map is not very reliable when a lot of people are around, and it's frustrating to get the message "you are near" to someone from move and still not be able to swing a dagger.

Leech

Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:52 am

First; lolwut? *flees!* *munches super bread!* *comes back and stomps heads*

I wasn't involved with the quest at all so I can't comment, but from mattc's commenting, sounds like that could use a bit of balancing. Then again, I'm all for the WoW thing. =P

On the flip side Matt, Kinaed is right - combat should be the least RPed thing in the whole MUD. I don't want to sit there and describe how my sword gracefully archs across space, glittering in the sunlight, and 'attempts' to cleave through your neck. I want to either do it, or fail doing it, and then get on with it. Combat should be quick, dirty, and brutal. The amazing RP can come before and after.

I'm used to fully automated combat systems though xD.

Glad to see a MUD do things like this, and have open discussion afterward - this is how bugs get worked out and code progresses! Huzzah!
Player of: Alexander ab Courtland

• Information