TI Books - Permission for Character Usage Requested

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:36 am

Dear TIers,

I have gotten permission from Tamara and Ryan Boileau to write books based on TI's theme as an advertising/promotional attempt for our game.

I'd like to use some TI characters, but I am aware that these characters are, at least in conception, yours. So, I'd like to ask for your permission to use your characters, by name, in these writings. I will not use anyone's characters that does not explicitly provide that permission to me. If you're anywhere from ambivalent to "Yes please!!", please let me know on this thread according to my instructions.

Due to the logistics of using so much creativity from such a huge base of people, I will only use your characters so if you agree to some necessary measures.

So, here's the base concept:
- I want to write a book featuring multiple TI characters that covers one express story arch.
- I'd like to write perhaps a series of additional books exploring the same situation and conversations from multiple points of view.

If you're happy to participate, please copying this text in an email to Kinaed.TI@gmail.com:

Code: Select all

Kinaed, I'm happy to let you use my character/s: <name1>, <name2>, ..., <nameX>

I agree to your terms, as below:

1. If you use my character, I give up all rights to that character in the context of your books. This means that I understand that you will try your best to respect my character's personality and intent within reasonable limits to write a good story, but if you get it wrong, I will accept it. Specifically, I will not:
   - Sue you for any reason whatsoever regarding these books.
   - Interfere in any negotiations you have with third parties regarding the book, such as, but not limited to contacting site admins and requesting it be taken down, contacting publishers and claiming ownership, etc, or;
   - Generally do anything more than complain to you about it personally and attempt to negotiate or persuade you to change the story

2. If you use my character, and this ever turns into anything profitable I agree to waive any rights to the profits.

3. If the books ever do become famous, and merchandise/tv series/other avenues of profit become available options, I agree to waive all rights to my characters or the profits in that context as well.

I recognize that my characters are inspiring the author to write a story, that otherwise would not be written, and my participation is entirely voluntary for that objective. Thus, I release the author from any liability, debt, indemnity (whatever else in similar vein of financial obligation or creative authority), to me.
Upon your request, I will provide your name for credit as the contributor of the character in the back of the books they're used in, if you wish (but not if you don't).

If this sounds good to you, let me know! If not, feel free to tell me so below. Thanks!

- Kinky

**** UPDATE ****

Greetings TIers!

For those of you who don't know me, I'm Sephone. I used to be a staff member on TI and have played a bevy of characters, including Aureliane mal Harmon (Princess of Lithmore), Chavara de Larne (A Mage Knight, previous wife of Paere),Tharon ab Rhyus (Also a Knight), and... Well, too many to name, honestly. I started playing TI in 2006, so I have a pretty good feel for the theme and have RP'd with a lot of the characters listed on the cast list. I have joined the team, with Kinaed, to get this project moving and under way!

As you know, we are working on what we hope will be a series of novels based around the world of TI-Legacy. A huge part of that world are the characters that you have created to bring the setting to life. Do you see yourself as Harry Potter? Are you off fighting the good fight, being the hero and at the front of all the action? Perhaps you're more of a Wealey Twin. Everyone knows that you're there, and you're always plotting and scheming to make things happen, but not necessarily the center of attention, but that's probably how you like it.

Well, we now have a great way for you to tell us! Kinead and I have found a fabulous, fairly in-depth, character questionnaire that it would be entirely grateful if you complete. It is about fifty questions long, takes about an hour to fill in, or longer if you chose, but it will give us a magnificent insight into making sure we portray your character just right. Alternatively, there is a shorter questionnaire that we've created, taking just the most basic details from the bigger one, if you don't feel you want to put that much effort in.

We can't thank you all enough for trusting your characters into our hands and allowing us to bring them to life in paperback form. If your character is bought to life as the staring role in one of the novels we hope to write, we will happily provide you with a free copy of the book, if we manage to make it to print! Of course, this is our ultimate goal.

Long Survey: http://www.sogosurvey.com/k/SsQSQSQsSsPsPsP

Short Survey: http://www.sogosurvey.com/k/SsQSQSQsTsPsPsP

Cheers,

Sephone

Kinaed

Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:17 am

Oh, and I guess I can throw in 20 QP for the pleasure... >.<

Enix

Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:30 pm

Use any of mine you please, I would also be interested in helping to write maybe....

Razok, Enix, Remi, Hillbeast...i guess as well. Dagerian can be used as well. If any of them have any arc.

Kinaed

Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:40 pm

Sadly, I think I need the email, not a reply to this forum post - please email me as requested above?

Thanks!

Lei
Discord Handle: Lei#3876

Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:54 am

Wow. This sounds awesome. I'd buy that book.
Old As Dirt

Kinaed

Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:54 am

I hope so. At first, I just intend to write chapters to post online to advertise us, but authors have been picked up online before.

May I ask if anyone has suggestions for favored plot events to write about?

mattc

Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:29 pm

The Daravi War plot -- the events leading up to, during, and after. Was a lot going on politically.

The Flood -- was a pretty great mage event, has a lot of epic potential.

The Civil War - Thinking Richael here, but I recognize that is not possible, given the current cast list.

• Information