Rumours and Sexism

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Geras

Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:09 pm

Is it just me or have the rumours taken a very sexist and low direction?

I realize that sexism is an unfortunate reality of the world we live in, but does it really need to be so front and centre in a game that people play for fun? I'm not talking about the whole Justiciar Trial RP here either - I personally thought that was well done and did add some great RP and conflict to TI. What I'm talking about is how it seems that half the rumours contain the phrase "piece of ass," and a lot of the ones that don't use that phrase imply things that are far worse.

I'll get off my soap box now...

Temi

Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:28 pm

I've noticed this as well, but it's been at a level that it isn't appropriate for staff to intervene, from my perspective, so it will just have to be self-policed by players. However, I can say that a lot of the time, shocking things about players are put in by those players themselves.

Geras

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:28 pm

Yah I'm not asking for imm intervention necessarily...

Dice

Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:02 pm

It bugs me too for a different reason... it's just so tedious. Rumor after rumor about people being hot pieces of ass. Sex in real life is fun, sure. But I feel sometimes lately like TI's become more saturated with sex in its dialogue and it's just not very interesting. I love intriguing rumors, but we get a lot of vapid content now that the system's rewarding - and the vapid content sneaks in on intriguing rumors, so you don't want to quash the rumor.

Instead, you just have to deal with every rumor talking about sex. Yaaaawn.

It's definitely better than not having rumors, but I wish we had less of 'oh s/he's so hot!'

Lei
Discord Handle: Lei#3876

Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:05 pm

Yeah... anyone who knows me knows that I definitely appreciate a good line of innuendo, but I am pretty thoroughly disgusted by the sheer volume of blatantly sexual comments running through the rumor system these days. Blech.
Old As Dirt

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:53 pm

Do we want the staff to police this, or do we think just stating it here is enough?

Lei
Discord Handle: Lei#3876

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:09 pm

Thank you for keeping tabs on this, Kinaed. I do appreciate it.

Honestly, I'd rather that players were able to police themselves through this stuff than requiring staff intervention. After I made my last post, Azarial pointed out to me the report command for rumors (I should have been using that! Thank you Az!) , recommending that I use it at my own discretion. I've been doing so since. Hopefully that will help, and others who have feelings in the same vein will do so as well, and we'll all see this problem minimized.
Old As Dirt

• Information