New Player Survey pt. 2

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:01 pm

Wow, so much great feedback! (Well, we appreciate the criticisms, at least - they help us improve).

The reason rerolling your character is required to do stats is that the chargen engine is the only one we have to manage alterations within specified limits that all players must adhere to. It may be possible to alter this so that a full reroll doesn't need to take place, but the fact that players even CAN reroll stats was an improvement to the game we made long ago. I'm sorry to hear the system isn't perfect, and we'll definitely add fixing that up to our long list of 'things to do' (so many improvements, only one programmer - albeit a great one).

On 'things to do in RP', I think that TI's RP is generally a bit more staid in that direction (on the surface - TI has a phenomenal underbelly) though we do have monthly events run by staff and a plan to set up "Player Storytelling" where PCs can, effectively, become storytellers for a scene, etc. Players really are responsible on our game for their own fun and initiating their own RP.

I don't know how other games work with regard to directing RP. For those of you who have experienced juicy RP scenarios on other games run by staff, can you describe to us what it is they did differently? How did they manage to constantly be throwing plot at players? My view is that TI's staff is too small and would get strung out quickly if we became responsible for ensuring people were having a good time. Also, for things like plots to overthrow the Monarch - I love the idea of players attempting it, but I'd feel like I was doing something wrong against the PC Monarchs if I as a staff member initiated that sort of plot. To be clear, some types of in game conflict really do need to stem with the players who want to see that kind of RP in game.

If a player is interested in carrying out a plot that they don't know how to do, please raise it with staff? For example, we've had people set fire to buildings, break into places, attempt to frame people, etc, with RPA assistance. Staff aren't allowed to tell people how to RP to achieve a desired result, but we can assist you in doing things that you otherwise could not through code alone once you decide how your char might act.

There's a lot of great tidbits in Beatrix's post; I'm sure I haven't addressed them all, but I'll have a re-read, and maybe we'll have some improvements in game soon.

... and I'll bump Player Storyteller code up the list of todo items... :)

Geras

Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:22 pm

I'd say the easiest way to get involved in a "plot" quickly would be to join one of the covert guilds. Otherwise you'll have to wait for the conflict to come to you. It will come though, regardless of peaceful your character is.

Anna

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:34 pm

The thing is, if you want to be involved in the salacious underbelly, you have to RP into it. I spent the first little bit having to create a fair few minor plots of my own, and then one day: BOOM. I was in it so hard that it sent my head reeling.

As much as I would want to be accommodating to newbies, there would have also been the small matter of wanting to keep my char alive. I have to know that I can trust the characters and that they are not morons first.

Frankly, you have to be careful that you don't get involved in too much from my experience. I was involved in so much in so many different ways that I literally could not figure out a way to have an alt without risking crossover every five seconds.

Bottom line: if you want some action, just poke around a bit, get to know people. You don't have to go looking for it, just be patient and it will come to you.

• Information