Talents and Weaknesses

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Fri May 11, 2012 8:11 am

I'm thinking about adding talents and weaknesses to chargen. If I did, it'd be something like "You may take one code talent for your character and as many weaknesses as you care to play." Talents and weaknesses have code reprocussions, providing a flavor to your RP.

POSSIBLE TALENTS
Immunity - poison
Immunity - addiction
Heroic Perception (+wisdom bonus when code that makes perception rolls is used)
Pious (bonus to preaching or learning speed of piety)
Strong will (resistent to magic, saving throws increased)
Lucky - luck stat always +20 when rolled on login
Fast healer - regen rates for HP are faster
Hale - regen rates for moves are faster
Sneaky - +10 skill bonus to hemotes

POSSIBLE WEAKNESSES
Drunk - addiction to alcoholic beverages, must use alcohol often to avoid stat reduction
Addiction - Coamjar, must use item often to avoid stat reduction
Weak willed (susceptable to magic - saving throws reduced)
Deformed - Appearance reduced by 1, deformity visible in short desc
Albino - Dangerous prejudices exist against your character
Tactless - sometimes your thoughts are written all over your face

Anyway, what talents and weaknesses would you propose? I'm not really sold on the above ones, just coming up with ideas to fill in.

Dice

Fri May 11, 2012 12:05 pm

Increased/deceased appearance - for people who want to be ugly yet charismatic or beautiful yet not very charismatic at all. Like deformed except you're not actually... deformed.

This may be too overpowered but: Jack of All Trades - +1 Learn Master Slot

Perhaps things like fast healer or hale but that add +10 to your move/hp max if this can be done without interfering with improve.

On existing ones:

Fast healer - people heal REALLY fast already. This would be useful if wounds went back in, though.

I'd think immunity to poison should be resistance, and there should be a corresponding vulnerability if doable.

Rabek

Fri May 11, 2012 2:33 pm

I don't like this. Not at all. Most innate capabilities are handled with stats and advantages already in-game. The one I like absolutely the least is magic resistance, because that sets precedent for talents that are 'required' for certain guilds. I can't imagine many knights would not take magic resistance, for example.

Honestly, I like how at present, there's very little that you can't achieve post-chargen. Piety, skills, stats, all that can be increased in-game. Even social standing can, if you work hard enough. The idea of advantages as powerful as is being proposed sounds like it'll lock people too firmly into roles. What if you take, say, the piety boost and later get removed from the Order? The character has an 'advantage' that does little to no good, compared to the majority of the other characters having advantages that benefit them.

• Information