Balance: Knights vs Mages

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Geras

Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:12 pm

I guess maybe what's more productive is to create a list of meaningful things that mages and thieves maybe should be able to do.

For example:
  • Moving stealthily
  • Opening locked doors/getting to inaccessible places
  • Stealing objects
  • Planting objects/evidence
  • Escaping combat
  • Escaping pursuit
  • Impersonating others
  • Forging documents
  • Forging objects
  • Gathering information
  • Harming enemies
  • Helping allies
  • Eliminating threats
Really, those could probably lumped into a couple of broad groups:
  • Helping yourself/others
  • Protecting yourself/others
  • Harming/killing/disabling others
What needs to be looked at IMHO is adding more abilities, be it spells or leger de main skills, that fall under those categories.

Should mages or thieves be uber in standard combat? Of course not. But they should both still be able to PK. Right now there is very little to facilitate that outside of combat at all.

Thoughts?

Julea

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:15 pm

Random thoughts on the Good vs Bad vs Knights vs Mages vs Thieves

For me, QP/XP isn't really an incentive for me to play a bad guy. It's got to be a bit fun. It's got to be different. And whilst I don't necessarily expect to have a long lasting character, I want half a chance. Personally, and I will understand if others feel different, but I don't feel like there is much of one at the moment.

Having never played a mage, I can't comment on that, but I can perhaps draw the comparison with Knights and the Sneaky sorts.

I think if everyone strives to simply have the most codedly strong character in combat, then it is going to get boring pretty quickly. I don't think this is about making mages or thieves any more buff, but giving them more options to help make them both a little more fun to play and a little more long lasting.

Because a lot of the truly evil genuis stuff you guys no doubt would love to see, will be much more likely to come around once characters have a chance to get established. And once there are a few established bad guys to offer protection to the newbies and train them up and offer advise, then it should hopefully balance things a bit.

Just a matter of getting to that point.

So, I think Geras has a pretty good list of things above that will help with both those two things. Though I could perhaps a bit more alchemy and poisoning type stuff to the list? More underground connections? Blending with crowd when in Southside? Maybe even the ability to do things with support. What should the brotherhood be able to do Support wise with their power?

And to look at stereo types:

Knights - heavy armour, hit hard, combative. Slow. This is all very easy to represent codely and is pretty much all in game. No RPA needed.

Thieves - light armour, not hit as hard, very fast. Thieves should be very good at running away. They should be able to scale a wall, jump up onto the roof and leap across the shingles and duck down into sewers. This is difficult to represent in game without RPA being spent or an extensive area built only accessible to players with certain thief only skill.
Julea/Lien/Ashe/Adaline

Jei

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:44 am

Knights - heavy armour, hit hard, combative. Slow. This is all very easy to represent codely and is pretty much all in game. No RPA needed.

All of these are things ANYONE can have in game. Knights have zero guild exclusive abilities. Even 'sword' is shared with nobility, and it's just another weapon, not superior to any other weapon, just different.

Thieves/mages already have additional abilities that law/order/knight types don't even get, plus all the stuff they do. Does it make sense to me that mages/thieves are not anymore impeded by armor than the restrictions that affect everyone? Nope, it doesn't(although I will say I'm not positive it doesn't screw with sneak/hide/backstab but AFAIK it doesn't.).

So as long as we're on the subject of getting everyone new abilities, I think we should expand it to all guilds, including those that aren't mages/order/knights/reeves/thieves. How about autopsy type stuff for doctors(yes I know it's not an official skill but still), more merchanting options, anti-magic prayers and such for orderites, anti-magic stuff for knights or improved magic resistance for them?

Or... how about everyone just step back and go, 'hey, thieves/mages have access to the exact same combat, armor and weapons as everyone else, plus more, so they don't need more stuff. They're offset by the fact that what they do is illegal, and if they get caught they're going to be on a permanent shitlist at best or dead at worst'? I mean really, what the heck is the problem with that? As it stands it seems like we're trying to make mages into metal-entombed golems that fire lightning bolts from their eyes and fireballs from their mouths and thieves into super-acrobatic ninja assassins while knights are still basically glorified guardsmen.

Julea

Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:49 am

When I first created, one of the questions I was asked was to consider (as a new player) what was it that stopped people from playing bad guys... as at the time, there was apparently very few. I am only trying to give my view point, on what might help encourage others to play, and keep those that do play them in those roles and playing.

I admit I don't know as much about the game as you, or obviously others know so these opinions come the view point of someone new to the game..

Yes, any thief can go out, wear heavy armour, and the like. But I would like to think it would be better if the game had some differences between them and knights and reeves. I love that Knights are very strong and hard hitting. And I don't think it's quite right for thieves or mages to really be strong in the same kind of way.

Knights might not have much in the way of inbuilt skills, but they have the backing of the entire city. I don't think anyone can question that of the two 'sides', that they are currently the stronger one, by far. But sure, if there are skills that they might have that makes sense then sure, lets bring that to the table too. I've no problem with that. Or any other role.. but that wasn't what this particular thread was started for. If you would like to make one to discuss those, go ahead.

To suggest that I'm trying to make thieves into uber ninja assassins with my suggestions is a gross misrepresentation of what I was trying to say. A slippery slope argument at best.

Please do not take this as a personal attack (it seems like you are?), it just a discussion, people throwing around ideas for things that might improve the game. Nor belittle our ideas just because they do not agree with your own?
Julea/Lien/Ashe/Adaline

Jei

Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:49 am

"But sure, if there are skills that they might have that makes sense then sure,
lets bring that to the table too. I've no problem with that. Or any other
role.. but that wasn't what this particular thread was started for. If you
would like to make one to discuss those, go ahead."-Julea

The title of this thread is "Balance: Knights vs Mages", so this is the thread to post those skill suggestions in, I don't feel another thread is warranted in this case. That the original starter of this thread made the thread on the assumption that Knights are overpowered is an argument on his part and contradiction to his argument is to be expected in any kind of logical discussion.

"Please do not take this as a personal attack (it seems like you are?), it just
a discussion, people throwing around ideas for things that might improve the
game. Nor belittle our ideas just because they do not agree with your own?"-Julea

I'm not taking this as a personal attack, I'm attempting to make an argument(in the logical/philosophical sense) that on a one on one level if there is any inbalance, it's actually in -favor- of the mages or thieves. I also don't feel I'm belittling anyone's ideas just because I disagree with them.

"Mages don't attack people because they don't really have the tools to do so,
wimple." - Geras

Let's begin here. First of all, I would like to contradict this argument by stating not only do mages have the tools to do so, but they have all the tools a Knight or Reeve does and more. Observe the following:

Knight/Reeves:
Can max out their combat skills/stats.

Can wear heavy armor.

Can carry and wield any kind of weapon, including damascus weapons.

Can restrain unconscious people.

Can attack in groups.

Knights/Reeves exclusive benefits:

(Knights only): Can use swords. But swords are currently just the same as any other weapon type, with advantages and disadvantages, and the nobles and such can also use swords, so it's really not all that exclusive but I'd be remiss in leaving it out.

Can restrain conscious people if they persuade them to do so because of their respective backing of the Order/Crown(or Law if you prefer).

Can execute a Pkill free of experience charge when desc notes are in force and executions are carried out properly.

Thieves:

Can wear heavy armor(per Kinaed in another thread, which is a way old one, anyone can wear heavy armor if they can afford it and come up with any kind of justification and law-type folks aren't supposed to give them much of a hassle about it.)

Can attack in groups.

Thieves exclusive benefits:

Backstab: This is a skill that, AFAIK, is only accessible by Brotherhood members. I have read the helpfile and it doesn't seem to dissuade the use of armor, nor do the helpfiles for sneak/hide.

I don't want to go into spoilers, but there is at least one additional skill that I am not going to actually state here, I know anyone who has played a thief knows of what I'm speaking.

Mages:

Can wear heavy armor(per Kinaed in another thread, which is a way old one, anyone can wear heavy armor if they can afford it and come up with any kind of justification and law-type folks aren't supposed to give them much of a hassle about it.)

Can attack in groups.

Mage Exclusive benefits:

This really shouldn't be a single line, because it implies it's a single benefit, but 'spells'. And there are a lot of types of spells too. Convenience, buffs, debuffs, flavor, etc. etc. etc. A lot of them are especially nasty and have been the death of 'good' PCs in the past.

Summary:

All three groups have the exact same options and abilities except:

Knights/Reeves: Can execute a Pkill free of charge; can arrest a conscience person with the backing of their respective guilds(assuming the arrestee doesn't flee). Knights can also use swords, though they are not by any means uber.

Thieves: Have an exclusive attack skill; have at least one other exclusive skill that I can't state here.

Mages: Have a plethora of spells to choose from to cause mayhem, dull their opponent's edge in combat and give themselves a greater edge in combat.

In short, the only 'leg up' that Knights/Reeves inherently have over the 'bad guys' are that they can do burnings/quarterings and not be penalized XP. They also can execute public arrests/restraints without having to beat down the arrestee, assuming of course the arrestee cooperates, which is not always the case.

Neither of these two 'benefits' that Knights/Reeves have make them any more efficient in combat or any less able to be taken out.

"Yes, any thief can go out, wear heavy armour, and the like. But I would like to
think it would be better if the game had some differences between them and
knights and reeves. I love that Knights are very strong and hard hitting. And
I don't think it's quite right for thieves or mages to really be strong in
the same kind of way." - Julea

I've already addressed this above, but Knights aren't inherently strong and hard hitting, they often are, but they aren't always, and even if you don't think it's quite right for thieves/mages to be strong in the same kind of way, they actually can be, and have. As Kinaed pointed out, Remi was very strong, he made a choice not to use heavy armor, but was otherwise just as dangerous as the strongest of the 'good' guys.

"Knights might not have much in the way of inbuilt skills, but they have the
backing of the entire city. I don't think anyone can question that of the two
'sides', that they are currently the stronger one, by far." - Julea

I agree with this, though there are a few points that need to be noted.

One, Knights as a group are supposed to be in force now. This -is- called the Inquisition for a reason.

Two, while there are definitely sides, you also have to realize there are individuals too, and you can't always pluck out an individual from each side between the knights - mages or reeves - thieves and assuming the knights/reeves will always be the stronger one. That's a fallacy.

Three: The entire city backing the Knights/Reeves is a bit of a joke, considering how often RPA is used by Knights/Reeves to help with their investigations and how very rare it is for us to get any useful feedback from that RPA. Southside, also, I don't think is very pro-knight or pro-reeve ICly or they wouldn't try to stab and beat us to death everytime we set foot there.

Four: Their strength is that they can operate in the 'light' so to speak, they can gather as Knights, they have the backing of church and crown. This isn't always a strength though. Thieves/mages have the benefit of being anonymous, unless they slip up, so Knights can't really go out attacking random people, but thieves/mages know exactly who is and isn't a knight/reeve and can codely go hog wild on them if they so chose.

"To suggest that I'm trying to make thieves into uber ninja assassins with my
suggestions is a gross misrepresentation of what I was trying to say. A
slippery slope argument at best."-Julea
&
"Thieves should be very good at running away. They should be able to scale a wall, jump up onto the roof and leap across the shingles and duck down into sewers."-Julea

I may have overstated your desires, but what your second statement says combined with the abilities thieves already have would, in fact, make them into more or less a ninja/assassin type class if they were played properly and the notable skills brought up. If your suggestions were put into place it's entirely possible a thief could become GM of backstab, one or two weapons, one or two defenses, hide and sneak. Go out, backstab someone to give them an initial edge, use their GM abilities to lay the beat down, then scale a wall, jump to another roof, then down an alleyway and into the sewers. That sounds a lot more like assassin to me and a lot less like 'thief'.

Anyway, I'd like to return to the focus of this thread, which is Knights/Mages balancing. I've made the argument that Knights only have the advantage of killing mages free of charge(which isn't even entirely accurate, since it's actually Orderites[Inquisitors in particular] who do the burning/PKing) and that they can arrest/restrain conscious people who are willing. Also, they can use swords legally.

I've also made the additional argument that mages only advantage is being able to cast a wide variety of spells, which I think is understated, but since I personally don't know most of the spell names and think it's inappropriate to post them here anyway, I'll have to leave it as the seemingly less awesome than it sounds way of saying 'mages can do magic'.

I've argued that every other aspect of combat is just as accessible by bad guys, good guys, neutral guys. So at the moment, to me.. it really seems like combatively that mages have the better benefits on an individual basis. They have all the options a knight does, combatively speaking, plus they can do magic to give them that extra little oomph and edge to come out on top if they put their minds to it.

At this point I'll rest my case, but I look forward to any counter arguments, or if anyone's noticed I've left out anything vital.

Amdair

Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:01 am

As it stands it seems like we're trying to make mages into metal-entombed golems that fire lightning bolts from their eyes and fireballs from their mouths and thieves into super-acrobatic ninja assassins while knights are still basically glorified guardsmen.
<derail>
This sounds awesome. Also, if we could get engineering, so I could build a mobile suit to fight off these golems and assassins, I'd be in nerd heaven. >.>
</derail>

Geras

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:20 am

Jei,

You raise fair points. I guess my response is that it seems silly (and disappointing) for the most important skill to mages and thieves to me combat ones, and their most important possessions being armour.

Suppose both thief guildskills and mage spells/abilities suffer penalties if the mage or thief in question is wearing anything heavier than leather armour. Would that address your concerns?

Geras

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:31 pm

As far as being metal golems with lighting from their eyes and fire coming from their mouths, yah obviously no. I'd rather have the lightning and fire but not the armour and sword. IMHO a "powerful"/scary mage shouldn't just be an imitation of a Knight who can also do some card tricks. It's the magic part that should be important...

WRT to ninjas - we all know thieves are pirates, not ninjas. Pff. ;)

Temi

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:41 pm

I believe there are two questions at hand.

Since knights and mages have the same access to the same combat and armor systems, but mages also have magic, do the disadvantages of using magic equal the benefits of magic (all is balanced), do the disadvantages of using magic exceed the benefits of using magic (in favor of the knights), or do the disadvantages of using magic pale in comparison to the benefits of using magic (in favor of the mages)?

The other question is different: do we give enough support for different character themes? If you want to kill someone with high combat skills and plate armor, do you have to yourself have high combat skills and plate armor? Should you have to?

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:46 pm

Temi wrote:I believe there are two questions at hand.

Since knights and mages have the same access to the same combat and armor systems, but mages also have magic, do the disadvantages of using magic equal the benefits of magic (all is balanced), do the disadvantages of using magic exceed the benefits of using magic (in favor of the knights), or do the disadvantages of using magic pale in comparison to the benefits of using magic (in favor of the mages)?

The other question is different: do we give enough support for different character themes? If you want to kill someone with high combat skills and plate armor, do you have to yourself have high combat skills and plate armor? Should you have to?
Ahh, Temi, I love it when you bring that awesome brain of yours to the table. I'm gonna take a shot at these questions, and let's hope I don't get slaughtered by smarter people!

Do the disadvantages of using magic exceed the benefits?

If you are caught, yes. If not, no. The gap between the two? Risk. So the real question in my mind, is 'does the risk of using magic exceed the benefits gained by taking the risk?

This definitely comes down to the disposition of the player because risk is subjective. To rate a risk, you look at the probability of it happening, versus the impact it has. So, using magic - in any given instance, if taking precautions, the probability of being caught is low. Most mages do take precautions, and we have several in game that are ages old right now. Basically, it depends on what the mage is up to, and how dangerous their chosen action is. Highly visible = highly risky.

The impact is death, so whatever makes a mage come out has to be worth their life to them, which is a pretty powerful reason to stay under cover. Overall, however, being willing to put your neck on the line for great RP is something that will really depend on the individual, as well as the specific cause. Can we expect them just to willy-nilly kidnap and mayhem? No. And thank god, because believe me, when mages know their stuff and organize, devastation follows. Simple as that.

I think some mages feel that they don't have enough option/skill for concealment when acting? What this tells me by extrapolation is that the best focus of staff energy is spells that are concealed - if we want those spells in game - and maybe spells to conceal spells. Those are things mages will eat up like candy when we go into magic design. But, if we as staff make them too in-obvious, no one will feel or see mages/magic in the game.

Things we can introduce and concentrate on would be spying spells, alarm spells, annoying spells, etc. Frankly, I want to put love spells in the game and that sort of thing.

Do we have enough support for the character themes?

This isn't for me to answer, but players. Generally, I think we support all of the groups in the same way by providing guilds and the like. The issue that brought up this thread, however, is punishment.

We have a clear-cut result of being caught being a mage. Heretics should also (mostly, but not always) be getting lesser punishments, which we went through the trouble of producing a Book of Penances to describe. Also, it shouldn't be typically obvious to the Order if they're dealing with a mage or heretic. (My OPINION: I would like to see the knights not pressure the Order to kill people as it did Lauris ab Novembris, the Grand Inquisitor back on TI2. It's the Inquisition's bailiwick to make those decisions, and I support Benedictus' stance on not killing people unless it's clear-cut necessary. This being said, I also support that when the GI hands down a sentence, that is the sentence. Inquisition appeals should be pushed to the GI. End My OPINION.)

Thieves shouldn't be under death penalties for anything short of treason. For them, it'd probably periods of lockup (not to exceed 2 OOC weeks), branding, lost fingers/limbs, public tattoos to warn people of thievery, fines, forced labor/community service/slavery, etc.

This does bring up one thing - Treason.

Treason is a very specific thing. I've seen it used in ways that are not, in My OPINION, correct.

Treason is a betrayal of the State on a massive level (eg, actually hampering its function or ability to exist). It is, for example, an attempt to kill the king. Killing a member of the Royal Council may or may not be treason. That's a judgment call for the Reeves to make. Attempting to kill any old noble is not treason. Smacking a noble is not treason. Talking smack about a noble is not treason. Smacking the king may be treason, as talking smack about him may be treason - but that is a judgment call for the Reeves to make. Generally, I'd really like people to consider whether or not something is really against the State or the individual, and whether or not whatever they did is really worth their death - because if not, other charges such as slander, assault, etc, would be more appropriate. Finally - the king is not the head of the Reeves, he cannot charge someone with Treason. He needs to ask/tell/demand that the Justiciar do it. End My OPINION.

Note: My opinion does not need to dictate people's RP, I just want to make it known things I've seen on past games that have concerned me. To my knowledge, the above has not happened on TI:L, only on past TI's (Julea's case, for example, was presided over by a Reeve and the Grand Inquisitor both (my understanding is the GI settled for exorcism after some politicking)).

• Information