ICness of Support, Subvert, and Approval/Disapproval of GLs

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Should Support/Subvert and GL Approval be IC or OOC?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:16 pm

IC
70%
OOC
No votes
Both - explanation below.
30%

Total votes: 10
Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:16 pm

I've struggled with this ever since we put support in. How IC is it? How should it be used, and how shouldn't it? Is it IC or not? If so, does it describe a specific action or more an attitude? Can people ICly react/punish people who undermine them? When is it reasonable?

For example, my boss asks me to get him a coffee, I hate it because it's menial, and I cop an attitude. Can my boss fire me? Is it right if he does?

Some protection for negative activities is now built in based on the fact that the supporters and subverters are now totally hidden from the suberted/supported, albeit we've said it's okay for people to RPA and find out who is doing them bad. Later, we intend to code investigative commands and the like into the system so people don't have to come to staff, they can take their chances to find out their status on their own... anyway, TELL US YOUR OPINION.

I'm stuck, I need the Pbase's help to decide policy on this b/c it's a huge deal with major ramifications. This system is highly social and it's pretty cool/unique to TI: Legacy, but it won't be great unless the policies around it are in alignment with the goals and ideas of allowing for a political system where no player is unheard or unable to submit their opinions and have it mean something... oh boy!

Burnt

Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:23 pm

I'd go with both, sort of.

The option to secretly support/subvert/approve/disapprove could be one option, while the option to publicly support/subvert/approve/disapprove could be another.

Secretly supporting/subverting is safer, since no one will know IC that you're supporting them, but not quite as effective.

Publicly supporting/subverting is more effective since you're reaching a wider audience, but dangerous, since you're going out on and announcing your beliefs to everyone, making the information IC.

(Unless I have no idea what I'm talking about, in which case, feel free to ignore this)

Kinaed

Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:05 pm

No, you're not the first person to suggest making public and private weigh differently and introduce both.

I think it's a good idea, but maybe a complication outside of the focus I'm prepared to handle. Basically, this is a bit of a social experiement and a new system. I want to see things in a 'pure default' form so I can get an idea of what the overall system looks like before tweaking it and seeing what happens with the tweaks. This is definitely a great idea though, I'm just not sure what it'll look like or what how it will modify the default since I don't have grounding for the default. We may very well see this in the future.

Kinaed

Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:07 pm

I see most people support IC. Generally, I do too.

But should there be limits? I'm the king! You subverted me! Treason! But... is it extreme for the king to kill people because of that? Is it acceptable to create a balanced and fun gaming experience? Any regulations requried or none, policy-wise?

Enix

Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:30 am

I thought you could not see who subverted you, so in turn you could not charge someone with treason. I mean, if you unaware who is subverting you, you are unaware of who to charge for treason.

Amdair

Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:51 am

I see support/subversion as how the character reacts about the person when they aren't around, as it applies to leadership and the constant reputational warfare that goes on.

If someone is subverting the King, they're smack talking him and telling people why he's a bad King, which hurts his influence on people but, sorry King, that's not Treason. Now, that isn't to say that the King couldn't trump up a false charge and try to convince his lawmen to execute it for him, but that happens in RP anyways, on a rumor. If you talk bad about people, expect them to take actions--but action-takers, remember that this is a subtle assistance or hindrance, not openly burning your letters and stealing your horses.

Geras

Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:42 am

I think it should be an IC action, but that doesn't necessarily imply it should be visible to you...

I do like the public v private thing.

• Information