Money Matters

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Why don't you spend money on TI?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:29 am

It's too hard to get, so I don't want to spend it ever.
22%
I'm saving for something big.
11%
There's not enough worthwhile things in the game to buy.
44%
Other reasons, described below...
22%

Total votes: 9
Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:29 am

Here's the current banking system's funds. What does this tell you?

Code: Select all

OVERALL BANKING

There is 0 Gold and 290915 Silver in the banking system,
with 191 players in the system.  This is 0 gold and 1523 silver per player.
There is 3 gold and 251 silver per player on their person.
For a total of 601 Gold and 338921 Silver in the economy.
There is 3 gold and 1774 silver per player, total.

Undefined : 0 saved, 0 on hand, 0 averaged over 31.
Freemen   : 43825 saved, 24887 on hand, 654 average over 105.
Gentry    : 91876 saved, 3185 on hand, 3395 average over 28.
Nobles    : 155214 saved, 80034 on hand, 8712 average over 27.

GUILD ACCOUNTS

Immortal Guild           805163 Silver  of 1000000 Maximum
Thieves Guild              2870 Silver  of   15000 Maximum
Nobles                    24715 Silver  of 1000000 Maximum
Order                     19368 Silver  of   20000 Maximum
Knights Lithmorran         6902 Silver  of   15000 Maximum
Sable Masque                  0 Silver  of   15000 Maximum
Merchants Guild            8274 Silver  of   25000 Maximum
Troubadour's Guild        12928 Silver  of   15000 Maximum
Scholars                      0 Silver  of   15000 Maximum
Reeves                     4109 Silver  of   15000 Maximum
Manus                        65 Silver  of   15000 Maximum
Physicians                 7300 Silver  of   15000 Maximum
Mercenaries               12770 Silver  of   15000 Maximum

RECYCLE ACCOUNTS

Conscript                   40 Silver of   10000 Max
Locker Purchase              0 Silver of   10000 Max
Taxes                        0 Silver of   10000 Max
Shop Purchases             757 Silver of   10000 Max
Retool                     856 Silver of   10000 Max
Mail Services               17 Silver of   10000 Max
Courier Services           160 Silver of   10000 Max
Bard Rumors                495 Silver of   10000 Max
Reeve Levies                 0 Silver of   10000 Max

Tribalware

Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:42 pm

jesus frickin christ... share the love around a bit then guys im great at spending money

Giftherz

Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:28 pm

HOLY CRAP!
O.O

I would take the average amount per player on mine. Lol
I feel much more poor icly after reading that. I make purchases of food/drink occasional shop item. Currently I am saving it on my characters to make shop purchases.
Currently loitering as:
Addienna op Marama - Always a Poet Something

Marisa

Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:05 pm

As a large part of the problem...

I have a hard time actually spending the money. I can make new outfits for myself without any mark-up, so given the amount of time it takes to design an outfit, that isn't a good money-sink for me. For jewelry or forged sorts of things, I don't feel like we have the merchants to handle the need. The ones we have are always overbooked with orders, often backlogged, and it feels like putting in an order to them isn't spreading the wealth about and it isn't doing a favor for the merchants; it's taking away precious little RP time from people who are merchants to help fill a need in the game.

I have also tried to hire other players, but it seems most who would like to RP with the wealthy would like to do it as wealthy themselves and there's not much interest in employee positions :(

I already bought the big house and didn't hold back any on it. May be a few more things to add in over time, but I imagine the majority of the cost is already put up.

That said, I do like Marisa having a ton of money, and being able to throw around money and it not mean anything to her. It fits her character and I have sunk a lot of xp into being able to do that. I don't want to spend her down to having no money. I don't feel like I'm too closed fisted on the money she has. She just has lots. Which is how it should be for her!

Kinaed

Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:16 am

Does no one have to buy food? Are taxes a burden?

Anyone can buy objs from a shop and retool, so are merchants still over stressed?

Clockwork

Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:46 pm

I buy food a lot more, now that trudging around in full plate is so exhausting. But most of the money sinks don't take money out of the economy, they just move it from player to player. (Blacksmith is the biggest exemption from this, due to the large investment for materials.) This causes both inflation and the high numbers that you're seeing.

Right now, I think the biggest money sink for me is Rumors. And that's honestly not terribly much.

Kinaed

Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:47 pm

What does everyone else spend their money on then?

I'm thinking of adding training objects, like barbells for strength, skill books, etc, atm.

Clockwork

Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:39 pm

That will probably only make the rich richer and the poor poorer. The more experienced characters, who are already more powerful in other ways, would be able to use this to get even more powerfuller.

Not that I wouldn't love the option to buy gym equipment to raise strength, for example.

Tribalware

Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:03 am

got to agree with clockwork, the deal is that whilst all that wealth exists in game its not spread equally over every player, in fact id be surprised if it werent centralised heavily over a few characters. a lot of players really dont have any money its hard to come across unless it magically appears in your account.

if you start introducing more buyable upgrades you will only drive a wedge. what youre really looking for is a way to redistribute wealth rather than find ways to use peoples wealth. if you are finding things for people to use it on only some people are going to be getting those benefits.

this game needs a social movement

Kinaed

Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:37 pm

I'm not certain that poorly distributed wealth is the same problem on TI as it is in real life (I'm seeing a lot of "class warfare" news articles at the moment), actually, nor am I convinced that having more things in game worth buying is bad. The issue is if we set the prices on those things with the assumption that players who are wealthy are the average/norm. If a barbell cost 25 silver, I don't think it'd be the same as if a barbell cost 2000 silver, regardless of what it is used for.

Some people on TI are wealthy, and that's a good thing. Most of the people who are wealthy are not because of silver hand-outs. In fact, the only silver handouts were in January when the game was created. People who are wealthy ICly are either hoarding their income (which -everyone- gets, and everyone has equal access to hoard) or are proactively working towards making money (eg, merchants or people purchasing wealth and spending XP on it). Hoarders are thrifting their way to wealth (and it doesn't mean anything because they won't use the wealth to leverage themselves into a better position, making the wealth a moot point) and the latter are spending XP on silver and doing IC RP deals to increase their money - which is the intended system and they deserve to have their hard work working for them.

I've seen people offer services for money, and I've personally paid people for their services when I was playing a character. Sometimes these arrangements don't work out, but with the payment system only paying people who RP, the risk on me as someone purchasing services of my payee doing nada and dropping off the face of the earth is minimal. So I hire people all the time and ask them to do stuff. I notice some people don't or find it hard - shame, but it works great when it does work, and it can/has worked.

Anyway, a large part of the silent, voted response above is not enough to stuff to spend on, so I think I'm still inclined to add more stuff. Not trying to offend the opinions stated in text, as there is a point if the assumption is that training things and so on wouldn't be available to the common man. Yes, in our system, it's clear that prices don't have to be that high.

Speaking of which, I think that with retooling in place, armor prices might be too high in shops, so I'll have a chat to Orfeo about rectifying that.

• Information