Noble Advancement

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Temi

Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:20 pm

With rank purchase in chargen removed, nobles are left in an odd position. Seeking makes okay sense as presenting themselves at court and being endorsed, but outside of marriage and royal appointments, there isn't really a mechanism for getting new nobles into titles through inheritance. We really don't want to go with people just deciding they want to be a titled noble now and their father back home died.

So... what suggestions do you guys have for how to handle it? Applications? RPA? No more nobles ever? Something else?

Lei
Discord Handle: Lei#3876

Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:11 pm

I throw my vote in for closing off the nobles.
Old As Dirt

Platypus

Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:20 pm

People should be able to buy/marry into the noble classes, though it should cost both parties something. That is, an existing Noble shouldn't want to go about passing out titles as he's basically creating potential competition for himself. However certain circumstances might exist that would make something possible.

A Duke rich in land but poor in cash might be willing to up-jump a Gentry with a title. Likewise other sorts of 'services' could conceivably result in an appointment. Particularly during times of strife. I feel the concept fits into my Game idea thread rather neatly.

Giftherz

Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:25 pm

I am not for closing them off, granted I will never play one unless I get a wild streak.
They are somewhat essential, but people should also play their gentry and freeman characters.
Perhaps through Applications? One should carefully consider who will be playing the noble and their style. A constant one line rper would make for a sad Noble, where as some of our players are absolutely marvelous and post sometime 6 lines or more of text in game. That can get to be a bit much over and over, but they are wonderful roleplayers.

I'll stop rambling. I say applications for them.
Currently loitering as:
Addienna op Marama - Always a Poet Something

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:31 pm

I reckon nobility should be clsed to new nobles, but old ones left alone, and new nobles get titles or title promotions through paying QP to be allowed to seek the guild or promotion...

Not married to it, just throwing out an idea.

Geras

Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:29 pm

I agree wholeheartedly (obviously) with closing off adding new nobles.

In terms of advancement, why not only through RP? IE either marriage, or through advancement in court (ie becoming Chancellor or some other position), or through (in some cases) leading a guild (like Lorne being Earl Marshall on TI2).

Otherwise though, I don't think it really makes a difference whether you're a baron or a countess or a duke all that much, does it? It's just a name.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:46 pm

Because RP is subjective. We've had a few courtiers come in without titles, but the son/daughter of a duke... or why wouldn't someone marry an NPC? When these RP ways come up, how can their validty be weighed? Also, playerscycle out. The nobles will stagnate if closed completely. They are useful drivers and escalation points in the game. They're also a desirable point of advancement, so the idea should be regulation of nobles versus removal or stagnation. So long as the process is supported by RP, eg QP to kick off seeking, but seeking required, then we fulfill both game purpose and proven player value/weoght needs.

Platypus

Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:04 pm

While I agree that RP alone probably isn't the best idea, I don't much care for the idea of spending QP or whatnot on it. While QP isn't a bad idea, as it likely reflects to some degree the involvement of a player in the game, its an ooc mechanism.

I would suggest that some form of IC currency is the way to go. The thing is that IC currency, whatever it is, should not come about simply by playing a ton. It should be developed through RP.

To expound on the idea, QP and RPXP is a currency that exists due to ooc mechanisms.

A fancy sword with a back-story that someone takes off an opponents corpse, or steals, is IC currency.

Gold and Silver, depending on how they come about, can be either OOC currency or IC currency. That is, silver given to you by the system may be ooc currency. Silver gained by selling an item to another player, or performing an in game service, or stealing is truly IC currency.

Almost always currency must come about through OOC means. The trick is to have it become IC currency immediately after. By using QP to purchase station, we are using OOC currency and we are not ending up with IC currency.

Additionally allowing the promotions etc. to be developed through QP or RP doesn't create add conflict or drama to the game. Someone can simply diligently play, and without upsetting anyone advance their character. Now I don't care if someone rises, I think its great. I just think that there should be an opportunity to create plots schemes etc. as well.

Geras

Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:06 am

Yah, when I said by RP I meant more by marriage to PCs or by advancement to appointed positions like Chancellor (or if RP warrants, Earl Marshall or Justiciar). I dunno.

Geras

Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:02 am

Maybe a certain element of dead mans boots could be applied, as with other positions? And perhaps more cabinet positions could be created (if one can think of a good purpose for them).

• Information