Assets And Economy

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Puciek

Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:12 am

galaxgal wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:53 pm
It doesn't help that most ways of selling things ICly operate at a loss. Foraged goods are seldom valuable despite their big MV cost, and crafting happens at a big loss.
If you are crafting at a loss, why continue with it? I played a crafter few years back, and it was profitable from the onset (he was a leatherworker), but then I also didn't rush him to max the skill, instead he leveled out of the money he had made, and then cut deals - wherever possible - for cheaper materials. This should be even easier now with asset resources. So I don't understand why would crafting be at a loss. Say if some noble wants a merchant to work in silk, but there is no one trained to that level, then that noble can sponsor said merchants trading.

Re: purchasing assets for XP, help wealth. You can still purchase gold for XP, though at quite expensive rate of 10k exp for 1k silver.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Dreams
Discord Handle: dreams2410

Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:02 am

I am going to post this, not necessarily to add to the conversation, but to point it out because it appears people do not know...

If you are one of those who was unfortunate enough to not understand the asset system when you created, have only your beginning tier 1 asset, and no others... you CAN delete that asset and the system will allow you to create a new one for free - even if you are already out of chargen and are doing it in the town hall office. It will tell you it is going to cost... but as long as you have already deleted the other one, it won't cost anything.
help policy triggers, help policy non-consensual, help sandwich

Puciek

Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:09 am

Kitty wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:02 am
I am going to post this, not necessarily to add to the conversation, but to point it out because it appears people do not know...

If you are one of those who was unfortunate enough to not understand the asset system when you created, have only your beginning tier 1 asset, and no others... you CAN delete that asset and the system will allow you to create a new one for free - even if you are already out of chargen and are doing it in the town hall office. It will tell you it is going to cost... but as long as you have already deleted the other one, it won't cost anything.
I'll also add that reach out to the staff and explain your situation, they've always been reasonable in the past, and when assets rolled out there was a lot of people who were past the deadlines (cyan or the grace assets period) and they got help from staff.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Sparkles

Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:25 am

It doesn't help that most ways of selling things ICly operate at a loss. Foraged goods are seldom valuable despite their big MV cost, and crafting happens at a big loss.
- The thing about foraged goods is you need to do a cost-benefit ratio. Something you can otherwise buy for 1 silver is likely not your best time/effort investment. There are however some rare/expensive materials that can be foraged in some more out of the way places.

- I do agree that newer players needing to "grind" to branch and basically create reams of unneeded and often unwanted items can be problematic. I do think that a solution here to fix both item bloat and some income might be ways to sell some of that stuff to NPCs. Even if it didn't turn a huge profit, it might be super helpful to newer players/accounts.

However, I will add here ... for Freeman characters something to keep in mind is that Northside might not be the best place for you to purchase materials in some instances. There are in some pretty good cases cheaper materials for sale Southside. (For enterprising Freemen, figure out what some of these are and then play middleman to your cheap Gentry buds.)

CCCedany

Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:41 am

Puciek wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:12 am
Re: purchasing assets for XP, help wealth. You can still purchase gold for XP, though at quite expensive rate of 10k exp for 1k silver.
Only within character generation, however.

Geras

Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:31 am

On the forage front, I have to agree that it seems to be a lot of pain for not much gain. Maybe some of the high level items could be sprinkled into the middle levels for a bit more balance in ranks 36-74?

One thing that might help is if guilds set up some buyer NPCs. For those unaware, it's possible to set up an NPC to buy items for a set price rather than sell them for a given price. So if the Merchants wanted to have a standing offer of 1 silver for honey for example, they could have a shop that just buys honey (or other goods they need like suet). The Reeves could do something like that for rat corpses for public health reasons.

Thoughts?

Staub
Discord Handle: Staub

Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:59 am

If clothing, weapons, armor, what have you, had durability - they would have to be repaired once in a while or they get destroyed - that too could drive up demand, thus making crafting more profitable, furthermore making shops profitable (which is a seperate issue).

NPC buyer... huh. It would need to be less profitable than PC buyers.
Praise the Bolt!

Dreams
Discord Handle: dreams2410

Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:02 pm

Staub wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:59 am
If clothing, weapons, armor, what have you, had durability - they would have to be repaired once in a while or they get destroyed - that too could drive up demand, thus making crafting more profitable, furthermore making shops profitable (which is a seperate issue).

NPC buyer... huh. It would need to be less profitable than PC buyers.
Armor and weapons already need occasional repairs. If someone isn't doing that, they'll eventually wear down.

Try typing 'eq state' to see the damage or lack of damage on equipped items.
help policy triggers, help policy non-consensual, help sandwich

Geras

Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:06 pm

Keep in mind an NPC buyer would have a finite amount of money. So its owner would have to replenish its silver over time.

plague
Discord Handle: plague#6022

Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:11 pm

Speaking from experience - the way you want to go is *not* utilizing NPCs as a crutch for a lack of a player economy. It circumvents and invalidates the whole system, injects significant wealth into the game by deleting the IC impact of your actions, and allows any flaws and problems in player-to-player-transaction culture to not only be perpetuated, but often be significantly exacerbated.

It messes everything up, and it requires a really robust, dynamic system not to completely break economies. I don't think we have the code time for that right now.

• Information