Death XP and Familiarity

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

My position on the death xp and familiarity requirements is...

Poll ended at Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:06 am

Please require death XP payment, PK policy, and familiarity... (status quo)
No votes
Please require PK policy only... (drop death XP payment and familiarity both)
67%
Please require PK policy and familiarity only... (drop death XP payment)
22%
Please require PK policy and death XP payment only... (drop familiarity)
11%
Other... and discussed below!
No votes

Total votes: 9
Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:06 am

Curious about the current player stance... and not promising to move on this just yet, but I want to see what people think.

You can re-vote if someone's rhetoric on the matter sways you.

Rabek

Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:15 am

I really think in an RPI game, RP should be the only requirement. That's what I voted for. That said, I understand the concerns that went into the policy, so I'd also be happy with a compromise of removing the familiarity requirement. Why compromise by dropping familiarity?

Primarily this: If I hire someone to do the job for me, they should be able to do the job. An assassin should be able to get the contract, set desc notes, and kill the target. The assassin shouldn't have to take the target out for tea parties daily for a week first to get familiarity. It doesn't make sense.

That's my opinion.

Temi

Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:21 pm

I am very interested in hearing the opinions on how this has worked out. I know people were concerned when we rolled it out, and it has cut down on the wanton scantly RPed deaths a lot. What is thoughts on the results as well as the general policy?

Kinaed

Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:47 am

Wow, only five votes? And 32 views? Ladies and Gentlemen, get voting! That's barely more than the staff voting.

Personally, I'm inclined to keep the XP charge, but not the familiarity charge - though I'd like it to be transferable so that people can hire people, etc.

Kinaed

Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:52 pm

Can I get some commentary about the voting thus far? I need some more context to think on.

In my eyes, I find it interesting that two people want to require familiarity, but don't want the XP charges. I think the XP is more important than familiarity, though, as it is possible to have good reason to want someone dead without RPing with them much.

In my eyes, the XP shows that one is willing to sacrifice themselves to see another player make the ultimate sacrifice. The familiarity stuff has just been lingering around.

Why familiarity, but no XP?

With regards to not wanting an XP charge - six players - can anyone explain why people don't want an XP that doesn't really ignore my point about acknowledging the victim's sacrifice?

Thanks, folks!

Lei
Discord Handle: Lei#3876

Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:04 pm

I voted to nix familiarity and the XP requirement because I'd rather play a game with a few too many PKs than far too few. I've had characters murdered before, too, so I do understand the idea of a victim's sacrifice, but I don't think that PKing people should be so difficult for people that it becomes a rare occurrence.
Old As Dirt

Clockwork

Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:09 pm

I agree verbatim with Lei's post above.

I think that there was a pretty clear halt to violence, death, and destruction when the new PK rules went into effect. Which makes for safer RP, but not necessarily *better* RP. As a RPI, non-consent game based in a setting where things are very dangerous, I honestly don't think that people need a 5,000xp condolence prize if they get killed.

There are plenty of ways to avoid death. Bribes, bodyguards, staying out of politics and crime, hiding in safe places, and being a badass that no one wants to mess with all come to mind. But as long as the death is reasonable IC, and makes sense with things like desc notes in mind, that in my opinion should be the end of the discussion.

Right now, I feel like the 5,000xp penalty to the killer serves as more of a defense and deterrent than having a personal army to defend you. And I don't think that that's healthy for conflict, or for xp/player churn.

If we're really married to giving 5,000xp to the dead party, then let's at least try making that part of the death benefit, rather than docking it from the other party.

My several cents.

TPB Tobes.

Zeita

Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:03 am

I'm with those that have spoken out in favour of cutting out the XP cost to murder someone, finding it somewhat limiting for the game at large. I've happily paid it myself, but I think I'm in the minority on being willing to do that, and I think the game has suffered a bit from it. I fondly remember my time as Charmaine, with the constant niggling doubt that Amethyst or her supporters could be behind any shadow. It made for a cautious paranoia- a feeling that sums up my thoughts on what the mood of TI should be, overall.

New combat should fix some of the underlying unfairness that had been in the old combat system, I feel, giving a more even playing field, etc.

Also, just to note, that I voted for retaining familiarity, but that is gone, I understand. If a character is going to die, I'd like it to have some solid and meaningful RP behind it, not at the hands of 'faceless' people that you don't know. Since familiarity is gone, and I'm for getting rid of the XP cost, I'd like to see some sturdier guidelines put in on what is okay for a pkill, desc note wise. I saw some pretty spurious reasons during my time as an Imm on previous incarnations of TI (under Ephera and Qharos) that were technically legit, but storywise were at times rather lame. The main problem there is that it can all be very subjective, so putting in such guidelines would be difficult at best.

Anyway, basically all I'd want is for every death to be meaningful for all parties and with a decent basis for it underlying it.

Thanks,
-Charmaine.

Kinaed

Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:59 am

Thanks guys.

After some deliberation, as you can see on the boards, we've stripped out familiarity requirements. I understand Charmaine's desire to have PKs be by someone she knows and has RP of substance with, but I also know that would nix the "Amethyst in the shadows" thrill anyway given that Amethyst didn't move in Charmaine's circles at all.

With the XP system, my sacrifice for the ultimate sacrifice piece is still in play. I've decided to watch and wait on that - mind, a lot of these posts seem to have come between the time I asked for responses and the time I made the decisions - but I swear, I waited overnight my time!

Anyway, we can still remove XP requirements at a later date if we feel the PK situation is still hampered too much to give us that edge of paranoia.

The best argument so far in my own opinion? New combat has taken away some of the gross inequities that made it important to balance PKs out. Now we don't have cases where there are super combat gods walking around with absolutely no chance of taking them out, or in reverse, surviving their wrath.

I agree that TI's theme is meant to be harsh, and I suppose I'm spoiled, but I still think 5kxp is a pittance.

• Information