Combat Techniques

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:23 am

Give us suggestions and what these techniques might do!

Some techniques that could use fleshing out - I've only put in preliminary suggestions, so feel free to give other ideas...

Backstab - used to initiate combat with heavy damage multipliers
Feint - used to reduce a player's defense without exhausting mv points
Trip - used to knock a player down and prevent the use of certain techniques
Grapple - used to prevent a player from moving to further ranges
Bash - used to knock a player down and prevent the use of certain techniques
Throw - used to throw one's weapon from a distance
Protect <name> - used to attempt to take damage for another player in combat
Cheat - used to reduce a player's attack/defense score without exhausting mv points or damaging hp
Blind Fighting - use your other senses to keep going when blind

... and anything else you'd like to suggest?

Kinaed

Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:02 am

Added here so I can locate techniques when I'm looking for them. Thanks, Jei!
Possible technique

'Counter': Not really all that hung up on the name. The point is that when you watch a certain body location, if your opponent attacks that location you have a free chance to not only avoid the damage, but you counter attack while s/he's open. No idea on how it would scale with skill. Maybe skill rank = percentage chance of you countering when you successfully predict what body location they attack.

edit:
Forgot to mention this, but obviously 'body' should probably not be applicable for this skill. Or if so, at a much reduced percentage for activating the counter, since it's the most likely target and so on. Or, make it so you still get hit in the body(if they overcome your defense and such) but can still get off a free attack. Otherwise people would probably just always watch body and avoid 1/4->3/4's of the attacks directed there.

Enix

Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:32 am

Will disarm not be included?

Kinaed

Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:10 am

I don't see why it wouldn't be, but it'd be nice if a request for it had more meat than 'they lose their weapon' - for example, what happens to it?

I've never really played a character that disarms much, so a conversation regarding the likely effects of this in-game would be good. In my eyes, it's a bit extreme if someone cannot rearm reasonably quickly as it'd seriously nerf someone's attack power.

Clockwork

Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:26 pm

I love disarm - as a cop character that doesn't actually like to brutally maim or kill folks, disarming is a way to end a fight without having to beat someone unconscious. Of course, a well prepared foe can have an extra weapon or two, and a determined opponent may continue to fight on. Plus, you can pick up the weapon first, yourself, if you are disarmed.

How would it work? I see it like this.

Low skill / slight success = Weapon is unequipped, but remains in the owner's inventory.

middling skill / decent success = Weapon is dropped into the room, likely at owner's location. Location might be farther away with a greater success by the disarmer.

High skill / epic success = In a fit of badass, the disarmer flips the weapon out of the owner's hand and into their own offhand (or if their hands are full, their inventory.)

Notes: Unarmed disarmers should get a bonus to their attempt, as their disarm can be more hands-on. I also think that skill in disarm should act as a secondary defense to the tactic.

In reality, there were weapons that were chained to a fighter's gauntlet, and/or gauntlets specially designed to resist the loss of the weapon. Seeing those sorts of counters in game would be cool, as well.

-Tobes

Estelle

Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:14 am

I like the disarm suggestion, but two things:

1) I think it should be checked against the opponent's weapon skill level. It should, logically IRL as well as game code-wise, be virtually impossible to disarm a grandmaster. Otherwise, disarm is too convenient a way to end a fight really quickly. I also don't like the 'who picks it up first' contest, as that is likely to be a contest of 'how fast you can type', which we are trying to avoid with the twink policy.

Zeita

Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:01 pm

Regarding disarm, we could make picking up an object while in combat a) take your turn and b) perhaps make you more vulnerable to attack?

However, I'd probably rather have a succesful disarm simply 'disable' the disarmed character from using that particular weapon for a number of rounds, depending on the relative levels of skill/how succesful the technique was.

So, if Tobin disarmed BanditBoy, BanditBoy's mace would be put back into his inventory, and then he wouldn't be able to equip it for X number of rounds. But if he has another weapon on hand, he can wield that instead.

Other suggested technique:

Distract - Cause some sort of distraction that, if succesful, will increase your ability to run away for a number of grounds.

Additional ideas on already proposed technique:

Grapple - Perhaps grapple could also be used to try to pull someone's armour off?

Kinaed

Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:07 am

Just noting down some combat statuses we may tweak/add to the game at a later date:

- blind
- stunned
- tripped
- enraged
- grappled

Any other suggestions?

Enix

Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:41 pm

Maybe poisoned? This would of course need to be implemented with some sort of code to be able to poison weapons as well. Which I will roll over to the idea section right after this.

I was actually thinking of this because some baddies would be seen as a bit retarded and completely out of character to be wearing armor, which is still as we all know a HUGE benefit. Perhaps being able to point your weapons would offset that against someone who didnt? Maybe make it only a guildskill?

If anyone has ever been poisoned, IE - Drank from the Bren... You would notice the effects it has, making you cough, look sick, and take a small percentage of your Health each time.

Perhaps it might just be me who thinks this would be cool to end in, but it is an idea.

Kinaed

Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:08 pm

Hi Enix,

All ideas are welcome! Thanks for offering yours. I'll have a look at the idea thread shortly.

• Information