Inactive in RP

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Dreams
Discord Handle: dreams2410

Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:49 pm

Rey wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:47 pm
Hello! I'm pretty new to TI and after hearing this rule I almost left. Today I had my first RP scene and it was between me and one other wonderful player just talking in the Town Hall. Now since I'm brand new rpxp is sorta important to develop my character concept, so I don't like the idea of being punished especially because sometimes I need to review a cultural help file or just take time to think. I was constantly checking the time.

My post clocked in at 5-6 minutes so I barely made it and sometimes I didn't. Now I didn't see no rpxp just a lower amount, but if I had seen none that definitely would be demotivating. The time limit sorta made a really fun RP stressful.

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in as a new player.
I hadn't even considered this. New players needing to check help files, etc, so they can check things before posing to make sure they are remaining thematic.

For the record, I'm relatively certain this change has not been implemented yet. It's just mentioned at the bottom of the 'staff decisions' post on the general board.
help policy triggers, help policy non-consensual, help sandwich

mystry

Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:01 pm

Rey wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:47 pm
Hello! I'm pretty new to TI and after hearing this rule I almost left. Today I had my first RP scene and it was between me and one other wonderful player just talking in the Town Hall. Now since I'm brand new rpxp is sorta important to develop my character concept, so I don't like the idea of being punished especially because sometimes I need to review a cultural help file or just take time to think. I was constantly checking the time.

My post clocked in at 5-6 minutes so I barely made it and sometimes I didn't. Now I didn't see no rpxp just a lower amount, but if I had seen none that definitely would be demotivating. The time limit sorta made a really fun RP stressful.

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in as a new player.
There are a lot of factors that contribute to your RPXP gain in scenes besides emoting (although emote is a BIG one). Things like think, having an action set, if there's a mood set in the room, using hemotes, cnotes written in the past 24 hours, and more. So even if you miss the 5 minute timer, you will still get RPXP for the other things you're doing to boost your gain.

That being said, it seems like the majority of the playerbase is against the 5 minute timer change. I won't comment on whether I agree or disagree with the change, since I don't feel that I have enough experience or wherewithal to make a judgment about it, but that's how it seems from reading the forums and listening to OOC chat in game.

galaxgal

Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:59 pm

nemovonfish wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:43 pm
For the people on a time crunch, have you tried saying "Hey I've only got an hour - could we have a quick pace, please?" in Osay? Because if the answer to that is "No, I'm going to four-paragraph effortpost at you." then they're the asshole. Punishing the entire player base if they don't emote at your speed even when you're not there is not a good move.
Because... my play sessions are regularly 2-3 hours max. It's not reasonable for me to walk into literally every scene and say "I don't have much time, can we keep up the pace" merely because I entered the room. You are basically telling me that my playstyle is an inconvenience and not to log in. Because when I or others don't stop to RP with everyone on the street because I know I don't have the 4 hours needed for these 10-15-minute-pose scenes people throw shade on the forums and on OOC chats.

Again, it's a double bind.

This is, again, especially frustrating and jarring to have this expectation pushed when medium-fast emotes are clearly signalled as the preference through code. Combat rounds auto-skip at 5 minutes. RPXP gain happens faster when emotes occur within 5 minutes (EDIT: even before this change.) Teaching and learning happen faster when emotes come through quicker.
Around sometimes. Contact: galaxgal#6174

nemovonfish
Discord Handle: NvF

Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:41 pm

Can you see how this punishment would be taken as you telling others that their playstyle is an inconvenience? You're right - either way people are unhappy, which is why it's a bad rule.

galaxgal

Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:59 pm

nemovonfish wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:41 pm
either way people are unhappy, which is why it's a bad rule.
This reasoning means that the absence of the rule is also bad.

phoenixdoll
Discord Handle: pd#1102

Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:36 am

Maybe there could be an option, like how we can request turns, for people who prefer or need the faster rp?

Or, in reverse, we keep it as it is now, but with an option for "slow" scenes? Something that everyone has to agree to?

Or... If it could be a bonus for under five mins.. Some xp for 5-10, and then none after ten I could live with that.

I honestly just can't manage to pose reliably under 5 minutes in most scenes.

Taunya

Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:21 am

Puciek wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:17 am
Taunya wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:29 am
1. Based on the forum discussion about fast versus slow, versus long
versus short emotes, staff have decided to only reward RPxp for
emotes (regardless of length or other factors) that occur within
five minutes of a previous emote in the room. A message will show
to a player if they fail to earn RPxp for an emote due to slow
response.
I think a carrot would be better than a stick personally. If the autowarn feature still showed that you're missing out on a bonus for not emoting within 5 minutes, I think it would encourage it more without actually making the emote not count for xp at all.
Perhaps this could be tried after autowarn is fixed?
There already is a carrot in form of +1rpxp.
There is, but there's no feedback on that AFAIK.

You used to get these kinds of auto warnings, but they stopped working a year or two ago:

Taunya emoted 1 times in the last 30 minutes.
Taunya did not use a hidden emote.
Mood is not set in this location.
Taunya did not use 'think'.
Taunya does not have an 'action' set.
Taunya earned a cnote bonus.
To turn off RPwarnings, type 'autowarning' alone.

Taunya emoted 3 times in the last 30 minutes.
Taunya did not use 'think'.
Taunya has earned a bonus for being or roleplaying with an Orderite.

Taunya emoted 6 times in the last 30 minutes.
Taunya earned a bonus for RPing with new characters.
Taunya earned a public room bonus.
Taunya earned a cnote bonus.

After they stopped working, I personally less often thought to use think, or keep my cnotes updated, etc.
It would be a good reminder that you are/aren't earning said bonus, and provide more motivation to do so.

Puciek

Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:22 am

phoenixdoll wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:36 am
Maybe there could be an option, like how we can request turns, for people who prefer or need the faster rp?

Or, in reverse, we keep it as it is now, but with an option for "slow" scenes? Something that everyone has to agree to?

Or... If it could be a bonus for under five mins.. Some xp for 5-10, and then none after ten I could live with that.

I honestly just can't manage to pose reliably under 5 minutes in most scenes.
The progressive option seems nice. As request button, this will lead to blackballing, and I am not a fan of that. I mean, for people with short playtime this menas that whenever you enter a scene, or someone new joins it, your first action is to type "pace" or whatever, and have this sent to all the players present. Not great.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

nemovonfish
Discord Handle: NvF

Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:43 am

The progressive option is the one we already had: post within five minutes, get a bonus. What the vast majority are against is the penalty for playing how they want to play. With this rule in place, two people in a private scene that both prefer 15-minute effortposts are getting punished. Bad change.

galaxgal

Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:04 pm

Telling players who need fast RP to single themselves out is the same as demanding slow players get a [SLOW] tag.

I'm going be a bit blithe and honest here: TI isn't a game you 'play how you want'. It's a space with rules and expectations set by its owners. One of those expectations has been clarified and expanded. Good change.

• Information