Inactive in RP

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Murrmurs
Discord Handle: Murrmurs

Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:59 pm

galaxgal wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:41 pm
Probably predictable but I'm in the contrary here. In just a few days I have seen scenes pick up in pace and had meaningful interactions in a couple of hours while going about my business. When people resisted the move to faster RP it was said it was due to factors of inclusion. Now we have people coming out and basically saying that shorter emotes are lower quality and that if you only have 1-2 hours to RP you basically can't/shouldn't RP.

Who is excluding and judging who?
Reading the input that you appear to be replying to... I don't know that it is fair to put 'excluding and judging' onto the assorted I statements alluded around, galaxgal. RP type is up to taste, I think that's fair for folks to advocate for and stand by what they want. When you advocate for an RP culture that is oriented toward pithy fast writing, your mentioned players likely identify with the same discomfort that you do.

Accusing folks of coming in here with an intent to judge and exclude is really not going to help either end of that spectrum to connect with one another and sort out, yeah?

Puciek

Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:04 pm

BlackSoul566 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:23 pm
Honestly, personally if I only have an hour for RP, I really don't have enough time to RP. On the other hand, I might have enough time to -start- a scene, pause and come back to it later when I might have more time.
So what is your solution to those who only can play hour - hour and half at a time? Pausing and resuming scenes is insane, especially if there is 1day+ separating them (welcome to scheduling from hell across timezones). The only solution I can think of is - sorry not so sorry, go play somewhere else. But I am happy to hear what better solution you have to offer.

Because, honestly, I like to feel that despite my RP being in 1-2hour chunks I delivery quality and value to other players (and my mudlet-crashing-long recommend list tends to back it up) even if in your mind that may not be enough time to RP at all.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

galaxgal

Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:03 pm

Murrmurs wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:59 pm
Reading the input that you appear to be replying to... I don't know that it is fair to put 'excluding and judging' onto the assorted I statements alluded around, galaxgal.
But that's the atmosphere that's come into play over these OOC mediums over the past couple of weeks. #1 complaint that keeps coming around is about established, powerful players in TI. It's that we're exclusionary, don't make enough time for cyans, sometimes accused of avoiding people we don't know (they are often just unlucky with public scene timing.)

Now here in this thread, it's been framed as likewise exclusionary to expect faster RP, want more incentives (positive or negative) for faster pose pace, etc, the very thing that would let me RP more often and with more people. When we point out that slowness limits our RP we get told "well live and let live, just don't play with those people."

That would be great, except now I'm in a double bind with the group that wants me to be more inclusive in my public/walk-in RP having a strong overlap with the group that doesn't want to emote faster because I should be more inclusive of their RP style. Can you tell why this is frustrating to me yet and why I might be a little discomfited with the OOC tone that's been going around lately?
Around sometimes. Contact: galaxgal#6174

phoenixdoll
Discord Handle: pd#1102

Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:49 pm

I have no problem with writing shorter poses when my partners are doing so, when there's lots of people in a scene. But my regular inclination is to write longer poses and this is what I get the most enjoyment out of.

Right now I'm looking at this thread and I feel awful, honestly. It looks like nobody is happy, and that many people feel alienated.

Dreams
Discord Handle: dreams2410

Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:31 pm

Frustration on this entire thread is understandable.

What I fail to understand is why we think that further punishing those who pose slower (they already get less RPXP by design) with NO RPXP if it takes longer than five minutes, AND giving them a "naughty you" message about it, will solve the problem. Or what some people perceive to be the problem.

I feel like a lot of the game has been conforming toward, lately, RP my way or find another game. If someone doesn't RP my way, let's punish them. And... I don't think it's right. We are a game with a rich, varied environment and rich, varied RP for people to find their niche in. It shouldn't be, "Because you don't fit my niche, you should be punished."

I think this is a very bad sort of trend. Not everyone is going to adopt the same style - it's natural to not adopt the same style. Everyone is unique, and their writing is great (short or long - I don't care either way). But, I find it bad to punish those who don't fit a certain "RP mold". Punishments should be saved for IC actions, not OOC. OOC, we need to try to be as welcoming as possible.
help policy triggers, help policy non-consensual, help sandwich

Eldar

Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:39 pm

I'll agree this feels like a punishment. I'll also add that this especially sucks for bards. If i'm trying to do bardic rp in a tavern to fit a scene then -yeah- i'm going to take more than 5 minutes . Would I love to be able to bang out thematic, scene fitting RP in 5 minutes? Absolutely. Is that a realistic expectation or 'requirement'. Absolutely not. Would I love to navigate a small, 2-3 person scene where every player is making a high effort to contribute and provide meaningful hooks for others in 5 minutes? Sure. Again, a little unrealistic. I can't do good tense or emotional scenes with 5 minute poses consistently. I'd love too be able too but -can't-. Not and maintain a level of writing which I feel does the scene justice in any case.

The entire concept of 'punishment' for being 'too slow' when frankly speaking, most people don't care sticks in my craw. The fact that this is mandatory to the entire pbase (regardless of preference or lack thereof) is even worse. I'm not against some sort of additional incentive (or something akin to turns where it's 'opt into' a scene), but forcing a 5 minute restriction upon the entire pbase feels REALLY bad for myself and others and frankly it's absolutely killed my motivation to play since I read the notice.

Edit: Sorry for how ranty/frustrated sounding this is. Not trying to place blame but it feels really bad for me personally.

phoenixdoll
Discord Handle: pd#1102

Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:21 pm

Yeah, I'll never be writing poems again to suit the scene on my bard alt if I want to get xprp.. Can we please do something like extra rewards for posing within 5mins? I'm happy for this to be incentivised, but for xp to be taken away when both me and partners are posing every 10-15 minutes is frustrating. I dunno, is it possible to have a "people who idle out the least while rping" weekly QP reward? Or maybe a "people who pose the most within 5 mins" QP reward?

galaxgal

Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:25 pm

We do understand that the change is 5 minutes since the last pose received, right? If you're in a crowded room you actually get much longer than 5 minutes to pose as the room is going on around you.
Around sometimes. Contact: galaxgal#6174

Dreams
Discord Handle: dreams2410

Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:26 pm

galaxgal wrote:
We do understand that the change is 5 minutes since the last pose received, right? If you're in a crowded room you actually get much longer than 5 minutes to pose as the room is going on around you.
But it isn't a change just for busy/public rooms. It's a change for those smaller 2 people or 3 people scenes, too. If it was JUST for busy rooms, cool, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But, it's not.
help policy triggers, help policy non-consensual, help sandwich

Puciek

Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:27 pm

Kitty wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:26 pm
galaxgal wrote:
But it isn't a change just for busy/public rooms. It's a change for those smaller 2 people or 3 people scenes, too. If it was JUST for busy rooms, cool, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But, it's not.
In 3 people room that already gives you 10 minutes to compose an emote. Is that not enough too?
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

• Information