Inactive in RP

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

nemovonfish
Discord Handle: NvF

Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:53 am

Torin here.

Bad change.

This is encouraging quantity over quality. Is that the game you want?

Bad change, pls revert. Ty.

EvieKray

Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:22 am

I also feel inclined to post due to this recent update, I feel stressed to write very short, poor emotes. I can not put effort into something when I am stressed, just like I can not read long texts super fast because of my terrible attention span (a consequence of ADHD). I barely get to stay on 'excellent' before I have to post another copy of a thought/hemote or a poorly written emote, and it goes back down to 'good' after just mere moments. Definitely not five minutes. One minute at the most. I don't usually take a lot of time writing long emotes as, like I stated, I don't tend to have the attention span. But it feels like now the game values quantity over quality, which has reduced my roleplay to bits and pieces. I will probably end up ignoring the RPXP reward as well, it's not as satisfying as good roleplay is, though it's definitely not a good motivator for me right now.

BlackSoul566

Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:10 am

Yeah, I'm really not a fan of this as well. This really make the game unwelcoming to me, who am a slower, more detailed roleplayer. I honestly can't stand when someone spams a bunch of little poses, instead of making a fully detailed pose that has something for me to grab onto and create a detailed pose to respond to.

Murrmurs
Discord Handle: Murrmurs

Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:21 am

Massive disagree on changes and a bit alarmed by staff perspective. I don't know that it would make much sense for me to argue in favour of a change that pretty well tells me that my style of play is not what TI wants anymore.

Dreams
Discord Handle: dreams2410

Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:27 am

Murrmurs wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:21 am
Massive disagree on changes and a bit alarmed by staff perspective. I don't know that it would make much sense for me to argue in favour of a change that pretty well tells me that my style of play is not what TI wants anymore.
... yes.

I have been trying to find a way to respond to the change that was listed in the 'staff decisions' post, and I haven't been able to. But, this pretty much says it.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I thought TI was pretty tolerant in allowing multiple styles of RP because it allows everyone to find a niche, which others have responded as (summarizing - probably in not the nicest way) it's inconvenient for them to play with people who take longer to pose. And, I made suggestions on how they could handle that, and those were taken the wrong way, too. And then, it twisted into, "In public." And... I have no idea how to follow all of the twists and turns this post has gone through.

I think there is a very large difference between someone who makes a large, detailed pose and takes a while, than people who constantly idle out of scenes or take 20 minutes to post a one-liner.

I like my detailed posers. I'm willing to wait for them to work through their thoughts and let them pose. And, these decisions basically say, "That's great, but you won't get RPXP if you're in a scene with one person and both of you take a while to pose because you're detailed and take 6-10 minutes to pose instead of 3-5."
help policy triggers, help policy non-consensual, help sandwich

Taunya

Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:29 am

1. Based on the forum discussion about fast versus slow, versus long
versus short emotes, staff have decided to only reward RPxp for
emotes (regardless of length or other factors) that occur within
five minutes of a previous emote in the room. A message will show
to a player if they fail to earn RPxp for an emote due to slow
response.
I think a carrot would be better than a stick personally. If the autowarn feature still showed that you're missing out on a bonus for not emoting within 5 minutes, I think it would encourage it more without actually making the emote not count for xp at all.
Perhaps this could be tried after autowarn is fixed?

Puciek

Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:17 am

Taunya wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:29 am
1. Based on the forum discussion about fast versus slow, versus long
versus short emotes, staff have decided to only reward RPxp for
emotes (regardless of length or other factors) that occur within
five minutes of a previous emote in the room. A message will show
to a player if they fail to earn RPxp for an emote due to slow
response.
I think a carrot would be better than a stick personally. If the autowarn feature still showed that you're missing out on a bonus for not emoting within 5 minutes, I think it would encourage it more without actually making the emote not count for xp at all.
Perhaps this could be tried after autowarn is fixed?
There already is a carrot in form of +1rpxp.

The problem here is that what some see as punishment and restriction on rp (which they are to a point) is that the alternative - of having people post those long, detailed and taking ~10 minute emotes it means that people with limited time now cannot progress their rp. Let me present you a timeline as someone who normally has about 1h time to handle a scene, with 5 minute rounds for simplicity (i know that some of those will vary).

0->10 minute: notify/messenger to arrange a scene.
10->15 minute: exchange of greetings, fast pose almost always so 5 minutes for both together
15->20 Your emote 1
20-25 Partner emote 1
25->30 Your emote 2
30->35 Partner emote 2
35->40 Your emote 3
40->45 Partner emote 3
45->50 Your emote 4
50->55 Partner emote 4, starting to part
55->60 Your emote 5, goodbyes, end of time, rush to wrap what's going on.

Even at hard 5 minutes limit (and just observing that) you are looking at 5 emotes in an hour long playtime (6 if you exclude scene arrangement from play time). If you increase the limit to 10 minutes, that goes down to about 3 emotes per person in scene per hour. No matter how big the emote may be, 3 of them is not enough for any sensible back and forth exchange.

Most people can tone down the size of emotes, this doesn't mean going down to just "say" and "social" , this is not as drastic of a change but just making them snappier and shorter. What people who have limited cannot do is to get more time to play a game, that's impossible. And when I weight having to hamper a bit the size of emotes to make them more to the point, and just outright not being able to progress a character... I think being able to play the game at all is more important.

Though I also want to say that this rule should probably not apply to, say, behind closed door scenes - assuming that both parties agree. But I am also not sure how to do that without it turning into OOC blackballing the person not getting on with whatever will be the majority on that.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

BlackSoul566

Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:23 pm

Honestly, personally if I only have an hour for RP, I really don't have enough time to RP. On the other hand, I might have enough time to -start- a scene, pause and come back to it later when I might have more time.

galaxgal

Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:41 pm

Probably predictable but I'm in the contrary here. In just a few days I have seen scenes pick up in pace and had meaningful interactions in a couple of hours while going about my business. When people resisted the move to faster RP it was said it was due to factors of inclusion. Now we have people coming out and basically saying that shorter emotes are lower quality and that if you only have 1-2 hours to RP you basically can't/shouldn't RP.

Who is excluding and judging who?
Around sometimes. Contact: galaxgal#6174

BlackSoul566

Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:52 pm

galaxgal wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:41 pm
Probably predictable but I'm in the contrary here. In just a few days I have seen scenes pick up in pace and had meaningful interactions in a couple of hours while going about my business. When people resisted the move to faster RP it was said it was due to factors of inclusion. Now we have people coming out and basically saying that shorter emotes are lower quality and that if you only have 1-2 hours to RP you basically can't/shouldn't RP.

Who is excluding and judging who?
Right now, the people who write longer and more detailed poses are the ones being excluded.

• Information