Inactive in RP

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Puciek

Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:35 pm

Kitty wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:28 pm
Puciek wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:22 pm
To put all that together, how about we time people emotes when they have whererp on (either by location or by manually turning it on) and then if that counter is under 4 minutes they will get tagged like [SLOW], akin how [IAW} shows next to names. This way if I enter a scene and see that people are marked with [SLOW] you know exactly what to expect. And at the same time it shouldn't affect private rp, as this shouldn't happen on whererp anyway. Maybe as furhter incentive make the [SLOW] come with slight RPXP penalty, or flagging the problem to staff if it happens too often?
I think this is... uhm. No. In a scene with 3+ people, people might be using turn order, which means that every single one of them would automatically be tagged with 'slow' because sometimes people take a little bit to react. I don't think the issue is people taking more than 4 minutes, it's people that take 20 and pose a single line, or people that continually idle out of scenes (which takes 30 minutes to do).

Pretty sure this is overkill, and feels very much like a punishment rather than an encouragement to speed up. I wouldn't want to play somewhere that tagged me as 'slow' - and I'm not someone that idles out of scenes. That doesn't make me want to move faster to get rid of the tag, it would feel like the game is judging me. They already don't receive as much RPXP as others do if they're posing slowly - adding a further penalty is... again, overkill.
How about set it at 5 minutes per character in scene then, exactly like the time alloted for combat emotes, and seems to work pretty well, even for combat training.

The point of this suggestion is so that people can make a call whether they want to enter a possibly slow scene, or not. Similarly you can expand it further, so first time this happens within the same RPXP cycle it gives a polite reminder "hey, you didn't pose in a while, some players may be wanting your attention", then a warning and finally a tag (which doesn't have to be [SLOW], up for grabs how to best name it).

I just don't think it's fair on other players to get tangled into a slow scene for which they just don't have time (or will) for. And yet unless you want to come out as possibly rude icly or oocly, this is what can happen by just following whererp. I honestly don't know how to handle it when I walk into a <rp spot with 2+ players> and then after 5 minutes there is still not update of any sort from either one, can either just turn around and leave (can be taken icly as a snub) or say something on osay, which can be misunderstood.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Sparkles

Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:14 pm

I don't think this is long emote vs short emote issue. I can crank out a 2-3 line emotes and still keep up the pace of under 2 minute rounds, which generally I think is fast enough, though that requires putting 100% of your focus on the TI, all the time, while you are in a scene. And I think most of the long responses are not caused because it takes so long to write the response, but by people being distracted by work/watching videos/playing other characters.
We've never really been a "two minute round" type game. So while I understand this is a personal preference, the idea of wanting to have players flagged as "slow" to see if they are "worth bothering with" is IMHO really problematic.

Dreams
Discord Handle: dreams2410

Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:38 pm

Puciek wrote:
Kitty wrote:
Puciek wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:22 pm
To put all that together, how about we time people emotes when they have whererp on (either by location or by manually turning it on) and then if that counter is under 4 minutes they will get tagged like [SLOW], akin how [IAW} shows next to names. This way if I enter a scene and see that people are marked with [SLOW] you know exactly what to expect. And at the same time it shouldn't affect private rp, as this shouldn't happen on whererp anyway. Maybe as furhter incentive make the [SLOW] come with slight RPXP penalty, or flagging the problem to staff if it happens too often?
I think this is... uhm. No. In a scene with 3+ people, people might be using turn order, which means that every single one of them would automatically be tagged with 'slow' because sometimes people take a little bit to react. I don't think the issue is people taking more than 4 minutes, it's people that take 20 and pose a single line, or people that continually idle out of scenes (which takes 30 minutes to do).

Pretty sure this is overkill, and feels very much like a punishment rather than an encouragement to speed up. I wouldn't want to play somewhere that tagged me as 'slow' - and I'm not someone that idles out of scenes. That doesn't make me want to move faster to get rid of the tag, it would feel like the game is judging me. They already don't receive as much RPXP as others do if they're posing slowly - adding a further penalty is... again, overkill.
How about set it at 5 minutes per character in scene then, exactly like the time alloted for combat emotes, and seems to work pretty well, even for combat training.

The point of this suggestion is so that people can make a call whether they want to enter a possibly slow scene, or not. Similarly you can expand it further, so first time this happens within the same RPXP cycle it gives a polite reminder "hey, you didn't pose in a while, some players may be wanting your attention", then a warning and finally a tag (which doesn't have to be [SLOW], up for grabs how to best name it).

I just don't think it's fair on other players to get tangled into a slow scene for which they just don't have time (or will) for. And yet unless you want to come out as possibly rude icly or oocly, this is what can happen by just following whererp. I honestly don't know how to handle it when I walk into a <rp spot with 2+ players> and then after 5 minutes there is still not update of any sort from either one, can either just turn around and leave (can be taken icly as a snub) or say something on osay, which can be misunderstood.
I think you're over-complicating a rather simple problem, and asking them to write more code to avoid inconvenience is... well. I think that if you think everyone who doesn't move 'fast' is a waste of your time, I think you might be setting aside some rather amazing players - which is 100% your choice.

If you find people take too long, and you don't feel they are worth your time, leave a scene. If they are taking too long in your opinion and the scene is not engaging to you, why should you worry about if you are seen as rude ICly or OOCly? You'd rather have the code be rude for you and mark people as 'slow', like Sparkles said? Yep, people leaving scenes because they don't feel the other people in it are worthy is rather painful. People ignoring other people posing at them is annoying. These things happen, but if you aren't enjoying yourself, then leave. It's a game.

We are not a game of 'play my way' - everyone does not have to conform to a specific style of rolplay.

Solutions that do not require code:
1) page someone to see if they are at the keyboard
2) notify someone to see if they are at the keyboard
3) If you don't like the pace, find an IC reason to leave and look for other people to play with
4) Initiate your own scenes with the people you enjoy playing with that keep your pace by sending messengers to them if none of the scenes on the public 'where' are to your liking

You like play one way, others may like it another. We cannot tell them that they should not be in public because they don't keep up a standard that one or a few players expect - that's RP policing. (At least, it feels like it.) Basically, if you don't like how someone plays, it is perfectly your right to choose not to play with those people. I would also find it disturbing for code to judge them in the same way. Basically, "You're too slow to be in a public scene." We already have enough problems getting people to leave private scenes and go into public, we want to shame them for taking a bit longer to pose also? That won't encourage it.
help policy triggers, help policy non-consensual, help sandwich

Puciek

Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:40 pm

Sparkles wrote:
I don't think this is long emote vs short emote issue. I can crank out a 2-3 line emotes and still keep up the pace of under 2 minute rounds, which generally I think is fast enough, though that requires putting 100% of your focus on the TI, all the time, while you are in a scene. And I think most of the long responses are not caused because it takes so long to write the response, but by people being distracted by work/watching videos/playing other characters.
We've never really been a "two minute round" type game. So while I understand this is a personal preference, the idea of wanting to have players flagged as "slow" to see if they are "worth bothering with" is IMHO really problematic.
Huh? I am having about this speed RP this week. Granted that I've been away for few years, and towards my leaving the scenes were mostly a bit sluggish, but to say that this game was never quite fast paced in emotes is not how I remember it, and I've been here for few years now. Also as I recall from stories of true TI vets (for which my tenure here is mere a second) at the start of this game and for quite a while people actually used say and socials a lot of the time instead of long emotes and 10 minutes rounds.

This isn't matter of people not being "worth bothering with", not at all - its that random slow scenes are not worth the time, at least for me.

To explain why: If I have about an hour and a bit to play, then all I can get in during that time in a slow scene will be maybe 3-4 emotes at the most, one of which will be parting one. And that's not going to get you far unless you are doing a unilateral speech and plan to not react, absolutely leaving no place for an in-depth interaction. This was part of my hiatus, and why instead I put my time in another-rpe-game, because there i can hop in for an hour every now and then (sometimes multiple times a day) and actually progress my character.

And I can't think of a reason for TI to not allow you to progress stories in 1-hour-long chunks instead of needing to block large increments instead. I suspect that this is also a bit of vicious circle - because the scene will be long, I will plan to do something alongside the scene, and because of that, the scene gets longer than it could be, applied across multiple people.
Kitty wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:38 pm
Puciek wrote:
Kitty wrote:

I think you're over-complicating a rather simple problem, and asking them to write more code to avoid inconvenience is... well. I think that if you think everyone who doesn't move 'fast' is a waste of your time, I think you might be setting aside some rather amazing players - which is 100% your choice.

If you find people take too long, and you don't feel they are worth your time, leave a scene. If they are taking too long in your opinion and the scene is not engaging to you, why should you worry about if you are seen as rude ICly or OOCly? You'd rather have the code be rude for you and mark people as 'slow', like Sparkles said? Yep, people leaving scenes because they don't feel the other people in it are worthy is rather painful. People ignoring other people posing at them is annoying. These things happen, but if you aren't enjoying yourself, then leave. It's a game.

We are not a game of 'play my way' - everyone does not have to conform to a specific style of rolplay.
I am proposing a suggestion as the topic is, this is not a personal attack at anyone, or their playstyle, but suggestion on how to present the problem presented in the opening post - of people being too slow in scenes, sometimes to the point of idling out. I am sorry that you felt otherwise, I'll try to formulate this better next time.
Sparkles wrote:
3) If you don't like the pace, find an IC reason to leave and look for other people to play with
4) Initiate your own scenes with the people you enjoy playing with that keep your pace by sending messengers to them if none of the scenes on the public 'where' are to your liking

You like play one way, others may like it another. We cannot tell them that they should not be in public because they don't keep up a standard that one or a few players expect - that's RP policing. (At least, it feels like it.) Basically, if you don't like how someone plays, it is perfectly your right to choose not to play with those people. I would also find it disturbing for code to judge them in the same way. Basically, "You're too slow to be in a public scene." We already have enough problems getting people to leave private scenes and go into public, we want to shame them for taking a bit longer to pose also? That won't encourage it.
Your own suggesiton to how to resolve the issue is to push away from public RP, instead to have curated RP behind closed doors where you invite people who will play at the pace you enjoy... And then you mention that there is an issue with not enough of RP happening in the public. Do you not see the issue right there?

Additionally you cannot even know the pace of a scene from whererp until you enter it, the beauty of random RP, and by the time anything is clear, your time to play the game might be mostly done, rarely leavig enough to go and try to arrange something else. This would help resolve it, you see two things going on where RP, go by and see that this one is slow paced (by whatever indicator) and go to the other instead. Still keeps RP in the public, but allows people to decide what works best for them right now, because as I said in my first post, sometimes slow is good and welcome, it's not a universally wrong thing.
Last edited by Puciek on Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Dreams

Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:44 pm

I will also note that it feels like this has strayed a long way from, "People who idle out of scenes constantly," to "people that don't pose fast enough." While both were mentioned, it wasn't saying people weren't posing within 2 - 5 minutes, it said they weren't posing for 20. They are two entirely different topics when looked at in that context, and I do not believe they should be related. They aren't the same, and I do not believe it was the intent of the topic to head that direction.

Sparkles

Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:59 pm

Also as I recall from stories of true TI vets (for which my tenure here is mere a second) at the start of this game and for quite a while people actually used say and socials a lot of the time instead of long emotes and 10 minutes rounds.
That isn't something I'd personally want to return to. IMHO it's always been hard for me to really immerse myself into a character on a game where RP is largely says and socials. That's more a Role Play Encouraged rather than Role Play Intensive atmosphere, IMHO. And I have a concern that's what we'd be encouraging if we start coding to expect and encourage that.

A solution I'd be find acceptable and potentially helpful is an ability to toggle a timer that does "ping" you in some manner at five minutes to remind you. Because then even if people are following a slower turn order, that could be a good time to do thinks and/or hemotes to keep yourself "active" and not idling out.
Additionally you cannot even know the pace of a scene from whererp until you enter it, the beauty of random RP, and by the time anything is clear, your time to play the game might be mostly done, rarely leavig enough to go and try to arrange something else.
This honestly sounds like the main issue here is someone doesn't have a lot of time to play. Which I respect can be a difficulty but I don't know that code can or will fix this. As what happens if you pick a "Fast Paced" room and then it doesn't maintain that pace when you get there?

Dreams

Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:03 pm

Puciek wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:40 pm
Kitty wrote:

Your own suggesiton to how to resolve the issue is to push away from public RP, instead to have curated RP behind closed doors where you invite people who will play at the pace you enjoy... And then you mention that there is an issue with not enough of RP happening in the public. Do you not see the issue right there?
Please show me where, in my suggestions, I said that after you do #4, you have to step behind closed doors and go out of public RP? Why couldn't you invite them to the Bluebird, or the Three Cups, or the bakery, or Church Square, or the park?

I also offered 3 other suggestions.

galaxgal

Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:50 pm

While I don't agree with something like a [SLOW] tag, I do think it stands that we can have a middle ground between 10 minute poses and "say/stock social as primary means of communicating".

I have limited time to play lately, too, and the pace of scenes contributes to that.

It means I don't pursue public RP unless I'm willing to burn up to 4 consecutive hours that I simply don't have.

It means I don't log in unless I have 3 hours to commit to a scene because people will get offended, OOC, if you leave something quickly due to a lack of time.

Timeliness -is- an issue that impacts new players. It cascades into visible public activity, availability of older players to help newer ones, etc.
Around sometimes. Contact: galaxgal#6174

Sparkles

Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:32 pm

It means I don't log in unless I have 3 hours to commit to a scene because people will get offended, OOC, if you leave something quickly due to a lack of time.
Do we think informing people ahead of time might help matters? (IE - I have from X to Y and want to scene could we prioritize it?)

galaxgal

Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:48 pm

Sparkles wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:32 pm
Do we think informing people ahead of time might help matters? (IE - I have from X to Y and want to scene could we prioritize it?)
Setting approximate endtimes and itineraries, I think, are good practices to hold in general for high-importance private scenes and large-scale public events.

For random public scenes... well, anything goes, including walking away if you have to leave, IMO.
Around sometimes. Contact: galaxgal#6174

• Information