[Poll] Invitation Command - Feedback

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Do you like having the invitation command in game?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:47 pm

Yes
40%
No
30%
Maybe
30%

Total votes: 10
Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:58 pm

Greetings,

We put in the invitation command as another way to foster RP in a world without OOC Channels. It'd been sitting in our bug queue for months.

Recently we've had some feedback that some people like it, some people don't like it, etc. One of the more interesting bits of feedback is that it seems to handwave the structure of the world. In the same breath, someone suggested perhaps we could just allow people to go to any map locale, and then my gut kicked in and said 'no, that's handwaving too much of the world'. I suppose such things are a balance as to how valuable the structure of the world is compared to ease of RP.

What do you think? Have you used the invitation command, and was it helpful, or did it make the 'world' and game structure seem unreal? Too easy?

Deedee

Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:11 pm

I like it. I think it's limiting enough (can only be used when both are not in a scene, cannot be used to escape situations by policy), and greatly cuts down on time to arrange a scene, which can take up to 30 minutes between messengers and travel time, which is a great boon for players with time constraints.

One thought around the hand-waiving, what if it took some cues from the messenger system? In other words, if the situation permits, it sends a messenger with the invite taking the standard messenger time, and passed along an IC message regarding the invite? If the recipient enters a scene before it arrives, it could cancel and let the inviter know.

Annalesa

Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:38 pm

I just read the help file, and the system seems limited in that the invite command isn't allowed when one party is in jail, as a workaround to get out of combat, when people are already in RP, or when they're in private rooms. That already eliminates a great deal of potential hand waving that would need to be done, so I think it's a generally useful tool that already has a decent amount of hand waving already eliminated from the picture.

Satoshi

Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:36 pm

Piping up a bit belatedly, I don't like it on the grounds that I find it really immersion breaking. If you could send an emote alongside it, perhaps, like a messenger that states who sent it and where you're going, to make it more in character, I would like it more. But as it stands it's incredibly immersion breaking. The limitations etc make me comfortable with that it's not going to be used to abuse the system, but I just like stuff to be IC, rather than having a no context (or perhaps page or notify previously) teleport somewhere else in the city.

• Information