What Keeps You From Going Order?

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

wimple

Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:21 pm

I'm not interested in the torture aspect of the Inquisitor RP, but I've played a non-Inquisitor priestess in the past and enjoyed it. I've also had characters that have been in the Order but haven't taken vows (i.e. stable keeper, gravedigger, etc.)

I no longer play alts, however, and my main is in a different guild.

Dreams
Discord Handle: dreams2410

Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:23 pm

wimple wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:21 pm
I'm not interested in the torture aspect of the Inquisitor RP, but I've played a non-Inquisitor priestess in the past and enjoyed it. I've also had characters that have been in the Order but haven't taken vows (i.e. stable keeper, gravedigger, etc.)

I no longer play alts, however, and my main is in a different guild.
You're the bomb.com, Wimple.

YES... the Order could use cooks, gardeners, people to keep the place tidy... just general people milling about. There are ways to be with us, without being WITH us. It increases the RP between those who are about, and gives those lonely people (and you!) others to interact with.
help policy triggers, help policy non-consensual, help sandwich

Myrella

Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:30 pm

I have a similar distaste for most all religions IRL as well, but personally I don't let that stop me from enjoying my Order character. I've enjoyed playing 'bad guys' and 'good guys' in other games too. I think an Orderite is a very fun mix of both. Orderites are probably quite convinced that they're the good guys and are doing what they're doing for the good of others. I doubt that they view themselves as malicious, especially since all citizens of the empire are very indoctrinated into Davism. It's fun to RP having that sort of certainly and security in the way the world works when it's impossible to have that IRL. All part of the enjoyment of playing in a fantasy world. It's been fun seeing how an increasingly strong faith has changed and altered my characters path and personality.

galaxgal

Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:11 pm

Playing an Order character has always interested me! However, any other circumstances notwithstanding, I don't have the time.

Order characters have a higher IC and OOC burden of paperwork, daily upkeep routines, and other responsibilities expected of what IMO what is best served as a proactive, antagonistic role in the game, either permanently by trying to identify and warrant/arrest/kill/what-have-you mages, or impermanently by essentially being the Fun Police.

The archetypically passive/'peaceful' Priests do exist, but... the demand for that type of character already seems low, compared to the need the game has for Knights and Inquisitors.

So making an Order alt is just not in the cards for me in my current situation.
Around sometimes. Contact: galaxgal#6174

AlwaysShunny

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:36 am

Edited this because it was a very charged post, and I'm more zen about the situation now :).
Last edited by AlwaysShunny on Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
the lord of the springs is king dav father

Dreams

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:36 am

AlwaysShunny wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:36 am
When my character tried joining the Order they were rejected for being too much of a miscreant. Otherwise I'd have loved to be an Orderite. Had great fun with it before.
Well, yes. This can happen. It is IC, and the characters seeking the order need to be a thematic fit for the Order.

Or, I guess this can be better stated as... IC circumstances and behaviors can keep someone from being accepted, even if they seek.

Geras

Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:36 pm

I feel like there's more IC responsibility to being in the Order which can be an OOC downer.

mystry

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:11 pm

Geras wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:36 pm
I feel like there's more IC responsibility to being in the Order which can be an OOC downer.
I agree. I'm not sure if I could bring myself to deliberately kill off another persons character. If I had the option of taking a more moderate approach to mages I might try out Order. Permanent imprisonment? I dunno. But I don't think it's an option because the whole pyre thing is so central to everything.

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:45 pm

I agree. I'm not sure if I could bring myself to deliberately kill off another persons character. If I had the option of taking a more moderate approach to mages I might try out Order. Permanent imprisonment? I dunno. But I don't think it's an option because the whole pyre thing is so central to everything.
As a Priest you would not be in the position to be responsible for or directly participating in any PKs,.

Dreams

Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:01 pm

Starstarfish wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:45 pm
As a Priest you would not be in the position to be responsible for or directly participating in any PKs,.
This is 100% accurate. There are two branches of clergy - priest types that take confession and are bound to keep the confession confidential or there are nasty consequences (to the point where, if someone confesses to being a mage, they can't tell anyone - they just have to give penance for it), and the inquisitors that actually do the pyrings of the mages and investigations, etc.

At the moment, we have an active priest-type, but that doesn't mean more wouldn't be welcome.

• Information