Large Scene Management

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:43 pm

Once again, large scenes being difficult to manage has come up.

Do people have any ideas for how we can make this easier? It seems like Places isn't working for us (or people just forget/don't think to use them). Are there more things we can do?

Ideas hugely welcome, both in terms of code or just things people can do from an 'agreed culture' perspective.

Thanks!

Sparkles

Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:20 pm

Join seems to be utilized best from what I can tell when there are physical items to represent spots. IE - the pews in Church or the Theatre.

Furniture also doesn't disappear when people stand up to get items and/or do tasks and you can put retainers on them without crashes.

A good portion of public places don't have actual furniture and as such don't have built in join spots.

So my first suggestion is to:

- Add installed/no steal furniture to more public RP hot spots that are NPC owned. (Like say taverns/the park etc.) I know the suggestion before has been for PCs to buy said furniture but spending IC coin to address an OOC concern where people forgo public events to the detriment of RP seems a touch off.

- Create a General craft to create a temporary tool-ready spot as a piece of furniture. (Have it last say 24 hours so they can be set up in advance, but because it will disappear can't be used in place of actual furniture.)

galaxgal

Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:12 pm

As a more code-oriented suggestion, I wonder if it's possible to get a super-brief version of look that excludes players, so people can look in large scenes to see objects without getting flooded by names?
Around sometimes. Contact: galaxgal#6174

Annalesa

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:01 am

Perhaps as a coded way to deal with it, we could have a special form of brief?

This could entail people either only seeing emotes directed at them or only seeing emotes within a certain distance to them. Personally, I would make such a command staff toggle-able (I.E. staff toggles this command to be an option only when there is a large gathering).

As far as a culture thing goes, I'm not entirely certain. There's no real easy way to manage large gatherings that I can think of, but I do like Sparkles suggestions.

Vee

Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:41 am

I'd also suggest being able to edit a place's keywords once it's been created because we had a recent situation where we had two places with similar keywords (and that was 100% my fault), but it's not like you can edit a join spot once it's up. So I think the creator of the spot should be able to tweak it in that sort of situation so that it's not disrupting the scene with people trying to play musical chairs and get in the right place.

But, yes, I'd also suggest some sort of brief that allows for people to see what places are in a room or whatever because we also had a recent situation in a scene where one person made a join spot for everyone so we could pretend like we were all at a piece of furniture and urged us to join it and then someone else in the scene made another join spot for the group because they misunderstood what the person was urging I think and so then we ended up with the group split across two different join spots because, again, similar keywords. This wasn't a big deal as we weren't jmoting, but in a room where you have like 10 retainer NPCs floating about along with PCs and then objects, it's sometimes difficult to spy that place text buried down in there.

wimple

Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:48 pm

I'm wondering if join spots could just be visible on 'look around', which looks at the objects or aspects of a room, in addition to furniture. Or being able to 'look pc', 'look npc' and 'look places'.

Having furniture set up in public RP spots already would be great. I rarely do large scenes or use join, but when I tried to have a party and restring furniture myself, I did it wrong (pieces too similar) and it messed up people joining spots - so even if people are willing to pay $$$ for furniture and retooling it, we're not always doing it right, and most of the large public spaces have furniture implied in those spaces already.

Kuzco

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:20 am

Guys there's "look people" and "look objects" already. Try them.

Dreams
Discord Handle: dreams2410

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:22 am

Kuzco wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:20 am
Guys there's "look people" and "look objects" already. Try them.
I do wish 'look people' did exclude NPCs, though...
help policy triggers, help policy non-consensual, help sandwich

Taunya

Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:37 pm

NPCs are people, too!

Sparkles

Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:56 pm

Taunya wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:37 pm
NPCs are people, too!
While yes, they are people, unless they are being actively emoted and played during the scene (maybe there should be a way to flag them accordingly by the owner), them being prioritized against players getting interactions isn't spot on.

• Information