Request for Clarification - Familiarity Warning

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Geras

Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:04 am

Sorry to be blunt, but I frankly think this has been overenforced in the past - like the silliness that lost us an imm.

Buzz K[ir]ill

Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:41 pm

I'm a little weirded out by this warning, myself, tbh.

I suppose if you're RPing enough with the same person on two different characters, you probably have a good sense for their writing style and play hours, so this message likely won't come as much of a surprise.

Even still, I'd rather not get a warning that will potentially confirm my OOC suspicions, though I understand the motivation and the courtesy intended behind it. Personal preference, I guess!

Dreams
Discord Handle: dreams2410

Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:47 pm

Buzz K[ir]ill wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:41 pm
I'm a little weirded out by this warning, myself, tbh.

I suppose if you're RPing enough with the same person on two different characters, you probably have a good sense for their writing style and play hours, so this message likely won't come as much of a surprise.

Even still, I'd rather not get a warning that will potentially confirm my OOC suspicions, though I understand the motivation and the courtesy intended behind it. Personal preference, I guess!
I think this is going to the person playing the alts, not the person they are playing with. But, maybe I am wrong? Because otherwise it would be revealing alts without the permission of the player, which is not ok.

i.e. PC A is in a romantic relationship with PC B, and PC C is also interacting with PC B for whatever reason - PC A and PC C are played by the same player. This happens often, so the player playing PC A and PC C gets a relationship warning.
help policy triggers, help policy non-consensual, help sandwich

Buzz K[ir]ill

Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:33 pm

But what if the other person is also an alt? :)

Maybe I'm overthinking it! I wasn't at the OOC chat where this was apparently discussed.

I guess I'm not sure why you would need this message if you're the one playing the alts. You should already have a sense for how much you're playing with the other character in question. Is this one-time familiarity warning really going to deter anyone or change their behavior? I suppose it doesn't hurt, but I'm not sure how much more mindful folks are going to be as the result of a one-time blip on their screen.

Dreams
Discord Handle: dreams2410

Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:00 pm

Buzz K[ir]ill wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:33 pm
But what if the other person is also an alt?
Well, I don't think it would go by account, would it? Likely, specifically PC to PC.

Like, if Player 1 had Alt A and Alt B, and Player 2 had Alt C and Alt D.

Alt A spends a lot of time with Alt C, and Alt A spends a lot of time with Alt D, that should only trigger the warning for Player 2, and not player 1, since Player 1 may not realize that C and D may belong to the same person. (Theoretically.)

But if Alt A is spending time with Alt C, and Alt B is spending time with Alt D, there shouldn't be any trigger set, because... the same characters aren't spending time together, even if it is the same accounts. (Whether knowingly, or not.)

That might be as clear as mud, because I think I'm confusing myself. And it's all speculation, because I have no idea how this will work at all, but I think that is how it should work.
help policy triggers, help policy non-consensual, help sandwich

Temi

Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:05 pm

Correct - this is only going to be given to a single player for interactions on multiple alts with the same, single character. You should know your own alts, so it shouldn't expose that information to anyone else.

Maybe it won't make a difference, but if it helps anyone, it seems worthwhile.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:40 am

Multiple characters closely involved with the same PC, whether the relationships are friendly or not, still is against our policies.

As stated above, casual relationships are fine (e.g. I interact with Jane because she's the local cobbler, and the only person I can reliably get shoes from), but relationships where people are likely to approach policy and ask "what the heck?" will probably have us asking the same question.

Kuzco

Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:38 am

I wish to propose that this rule does not apply to enemies. I don't understand why it does, and the game world is already small enough.

• Information