Exile and its Implementation

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

vaxin

Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:38 pm

I think exile and excommunication are both cool new ways to add power and flavor to the GI and Seneschal. While Excommunication seems to be both flavorful and well-implemented, the way that exile is being put into the game gives me pause.

As of now, the Seneschal can choose to exile people as they see fit and it is a PKill. You're thrown into an OOC room until you liquidate or someone else convinces the Seneschal that they were wrong, essentially.

At the OOC chat today, we spoke about encouraging villains. This is the wrong way to go about it. Let's say that you're a Brotherhood mugger or assassin and you commit a crime and then retreat into Southside -- nope, you can just be exiled and you're out. Or if you're a Lord who wants to fight their case in court and before the Queen -- you can be exiled and you're out.

While the Seneschal should have an exile power and it should be fearsome, it shouldn't be used to shut off RP. Even at the height of the power of the Crown when it was played by a PC, they didn't have a command to simply excise someone from the game.

Thoughts?

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:41 pm

I'm curious at different people's views of this.

The exile code drops someone in an OOC room and places restrictions on them similar to excommunication, and posts a note on the IC_Event board announcing the change in the character's social status. We have not determined if an exiled character can re-enter the game or not, or if they can what criteria would allow for that beyond the lifting of the exile, which can be done by any Seneschal. We also require that the requests be approved by the Queen/High Synod (exile and excommunication respectively), to ensure they're ICly thematic and appropriate to the RP.

Buzz K[ir]ill

Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:45 pm

I assume someone actually has to capture the person ICly before they're exiled or excommunicated.

Taunya

Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:46 pm

I would think they need to be caught to be exiled, but it just adds extra flavor compared to the existing ways which are generally outright pdeaths. And might give the option of being able to play the character again sometime in the future.

Perhaps you could attempt to break exile with major RPA (100qp), but thematically I would think you've already been caught and carted off. Maybe even forced to work in the Gailiech mines or something.
Last edited by Taunya on Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buzz K[ir]ill

Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:51 pm

Right. My understanding of exile was that it is supposed to be similar to an execution in seriousness, requiring pkill notes and pkill policy, but that it still required the person in question to be captured as they would in any other situation.

vaxin

Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:52 pm

If it requires people to be captured, then I have no problem with it.

Buzz K[ir]ill

Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:53 pm

Yeah, I don't think we want to give anyone the ability to just insta-trans someone else off grid (even for thematically correct reasons) without including a good merry chase beforehand.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:04 pm

For clarification, exile does not currently require people to be captured. It makes the assumption that the Seneschal is powerful enough to turn all vNPCs against the person to the extent that they are effectively 'captured off screen'.

Please also note that it is costly to the Seneschal to invoke, requiring more IP than a single person can obtain without leverage, and must be ICly appropriate (ie, personal vendettas and whatnot wouldn't receive the Queen's seal of approval/pass staff muster).

Taunya

Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:12 pm

In that case, it could still use some looking at I think. With the other options, they get at least one last scene with their execution.
Perhaps it could enact a bit of a super-warrant, with reeves spawning in places they wouldn't usually in northside and in greater numbers, and maybe southside thugs could get in on it too. I think a scene similar to an execution of having them branded as a persona non grata before the exile would be a nice courtesy.

vaxin

Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:41 pm

That also doesn't make any sense if they are hiding out in places like Southside, where the Seneschal's power doesn't extend, or the wilderness.

• Information