Exile and its Implementation

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:44 pm

The Seneschal's personal power does not generally mean as much in Southside, particularly not day to day. However, their authority as Keeper of the Seal speaks on behalf of the Queen, and her power extends to pretty much any loyal Lithmorran.

That said, I am certainly open to discussing changes to exile, particularly regarding any circumstances that an intrepid individual might be able to get around being exiled. I'm not inclined to say that thematically it couldn't be enforced; if I agreed with that, we'd probably have never made it to begin with.

vaxin

Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:48 pm

Why not have it make any loyal NPC in the game attack the PC?

Kinaed

Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:31 pm

That's a possible implementation, but it lacks several nebulous things that we are looking for with the implementation, amongst them reinforcing the thematic strength of an exile from the Queen and, peripherally, the Seneschal role.

Buzz K[ir]ill

Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:43 pm

I agree with Taunya and vaxin here. I don't think we should be handwaving anything with vNPCs. Whether or not it's costly or thematic, I think these "drastic measures" should follow the same rules as normal executions, which require RP leading up to capture and then a public resolution.

Kinaed

Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:51 pm

I'm not certain that I see the difference with regards to a capture-exile and an execution. Thematically, they're different things, and I don't think exile historically required a capture, just the statement by the Monarch that a person is unwelcome in their lands. In fact, most people who are exiled would simply be executed upon capture. Adding a capture is about the comfort of the player being exiled, and I think a lot of this is looking at what is OOCly fair rather than what is thematic, which tends to not 'be fair'.

vaxin

Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:54 pm

When we're debating the code implementation of an idea, I think that theme is peripheral.

This implementation of exile would make me both not want to play an antagonist character and stifle RP.

I'm sure there are alternatives that would follow theme and not do either of those two things.

Kinaed

Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:08 pm

So far the suggestions are:

1) only allow exile upon capture
2) leave them in play and just have them be exiled
3) as with #2, but also load mobs to attack the exiled person
4) pull them out of play, but let them back into play if they meet unspecified criteria

I haven't really formulated an opinion, and am still open to hearing others. My comments thus far were generally clarifications or general thoughts.

Taunya

Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:14 pm

My suggestion was more like:

5) load mobs to attack and capture the person to be exiled (if they aren't already in custody), then #1.

I think the actual removing from grid should work a lot like existing execution commands, a brief threaded public ceremony where they're branded and carted out of the city. It might be the character's final scene if they don't want to try breaking exile somehow in the future via RPA or convincing the seneschal/next seneschal to lift the exile.
Last edited by Taunya on Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vaxin

Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:22 pm

Any of those that allow RP and counterplay to the exile command, I'm fine with.

Buzz K[ir]ill

Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:29 pm

Agreed. I think the character who's about to be transferred off-grid and out of RP should have to be rounded up for a public decree. If it's not thematic, let's make it thematic and call it the standard practice.

I think even the -possibility- of being moved off-grid without actual RP around a capture/sentencing is enough to discourage villainy. It certainly does for me. It also seems patently against everything else we do, which is meant to reward both the good guys AND the bad guys with face time, regardless of the outcome.

• Information