Rumor circles and auto spawns

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Kuzco

Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:03 am

Currently, as I discussed with Azarial, rumor circles have no relation to the place where vNPCs spawn rumors or promotes at regular intervals.
I had thought all this time that this was the case, which is kinda silly of me.
This means that a Reeves rumor can prop in Southside, and a Thieves rumor at the Court Malenta. Complete with accent and slang. This is quite inmersion breaking, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this.
I propose thus to tie rumor circles to the locations they represent when randomly spawning. You can still always access them through 'rumor all' as usual.

The_Last_Good_Dragon

Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:21 am

I think a big complication with that is when rumors are "Public" it can be super hard to limit them appropriately. A "Public" rumor might have someone talkin' smack about a GL, but unless you, say, set the Merchant's Guildhall to ONLY spawn "Merchant" rumors, you'll get the improper "public" ones too.

I definitely like the idea and would love to see it implemented, though!
~~ Team Farra'n'Stuff. ~~

Temi

Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:08 pm

We've discussed this idea before and I definitely like it. Though there is the issue with the lack of circle on a lot of rumors as mentioned. We'd probably need to encourage a culture of being better about putting circles on our rumors. Also, the way it is currently set up, one rumor snippet is selected and then put out across the game. Adjusting that would probably increase the processing load, so this might just mean skipping the rumor at that location if the one that is selected is inappropriate for the place. Which might make rumor locations feel a bit quieter - which could be good or bad.

Taunya

Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:11 pm

Temi wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:08 pm
so this might just mean skipping the rumor at that location if the one that is selected is inappropriate for the place. Which might make rumor locations feel a bit quieter - which could be good or bad.
That's a fair compromise, I think!

Helena

Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:46 am

I would'nt mind the cathedral being quieter about rumors not relative to the order. I always found the rumors were disturbing there.

• Information