Ingame Travel and Infrastructure

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Niamh
Discord Handle: Niamh#3824

Thu May 24, 2018 12:26 pm

I don't think anyone said they'd like a lack of consequence. The topic of the thread seems to be about soliciting alternative consequences, not complaining that they want none. We should be careful not to attack motives instead of subject matter - it's where folks usually dig their heels in and a thread derails. It's also a hella cool thing that Taunya has found a way to make the current low infra thing work for her IC - lets not call it gaming anything that she's using the existing system in an IC way.

Our probably-expected-by-now- "keep it on topic and be polite to each other" aside!:

Collected ideas I'm seeing so far:
Voxumo wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 1:42 am
Certain exits on the grid are blocked. For example, if infrastructure is low, maybe the northern exit of the crossroads becomes blocked due to road damage or sink holes, which would means folks would have to take an alternative route to reach the Queen's Inn, which alternative routes exist. This could lead people to discovering new locations they didn't know exist. Afterall I'm certain we all use travel to get to some of the most frequent places, so if something came up that disrupted travel, leads us to have to find new ways around it.

Heck maybe of a similar vein the travel command is disabled at super low infrastructure?
That seems pretty cool, and it wouldn't detract away from PC horse-sellers' ability to make more sales when Infrastructure sucks (longer or round-about distance is still a million times better with a horse). I feel like there was another idea in the thread earlier, but I can't find it...

Onyxsoulle

Thu May 24, 2018 12:45 pm

Adding my two cents here as well. Overall, the way the metrics are affecting infrastructure and whatnot, are not fun at all to me. Currently I have to burn through food after walking from one side of the city to the other. To me, this is no different from having to deal with hunger/thirst that was originally shifted away from. I know a few people are saying that it was like this, and it's thematic and all that. This might be true, but I don't come to TI to deal with real life stuff, I come to rp and have fun. With the way infrastructure is, I do not feel motivated to leave a room. It costs moves to move, cook, perform, fight, train, everything. And now, I have to worry about dying. Yes, dying. If I want a home outside the city walls, I now have worry about animals attacking me and killing me. Just run, you say? I can't if I'm drained by the infrastructure penalty, and I can't eat in combat. So I don't really feel motivated to do anything but sit there and see if someone is close. It used to be fun to explore, see what rooms are out there(there was even an event for it), used to be fun to find where to put a house, set up stealthy meetings, set up traps, all the things; but now, eh, don't feel like doing any of those things knowing that I'll be stranded and/or killed.

Just my thoughts on the current state.

Niamh

Thu May 24, 2018 12:57 pm

Oh dear. Onyx, if it helps, you can't die to aggressive mobs in the wilderness - you'd get transported to the Madison for treatment if you were downed by them. Hope it helps with that bit, at least!

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Thu May 24, 2018 12:59 pm

Niamh wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 12:57 pm
Oh dear. Onyx, if it helps, you can't die to aggressive mobs in the wilderness - you'd get transported to the Madison for treatment if you were downed by them. Hope it helps with that bit, at least!
That is a nice bit of clarification, as I was the under the impression they were now lethal as well.
Lurks the Forums

Onyxsoulle

Thu May 24, 2018 1:14 pm

That actually does help, ty Niamh. :D

Geras

Thu May 24, 2018 1:49 pm

How does the mv cost for travelling on a road compare to travelling in wilderness?

Because it doesn't make any sense for bad infrastructure to affect the wilderness. If anything, bad infrastructure should just bring the roads to parity with wilderness.

Niamh

Thu May 24, 2018 2:08 pm

Phomes and wilderness sectors aren't affected by low infra. Just the city and roads.

The_Last_Good_Dragon

Fri May 25, 2018 8:28 am

I remain a big supporter of the current mechanics for Infrastructure as one of the more well-managed of the city metric penalties. Is it 'annoying' to have to keep a cache of food around? Yes; but the "satisfaction of frustration" is something that most MUDs don't have but TLI does. If the effects of these crummy metrics are avoidable just by a longer 'travel' time then .. meh. And while closing off exits sounds kinda coolish, remember that city metrics remain static for two weeks at a time, which translates to two months IC. While for non-essential exits that can make plenty of sense, critical points like city gates or main thoroughfares being closed for that long will be low-key obnoxious to deal with in RP... "Yes, I know it's bad, and it'll become better probably, but we have to wait another IRL week before the metrics bump...."
~~ Team Farra'n'Stuff. ~~

chronodbu

Fri May 25, 2018 11:29 am

Except it isn't satisfying to get somewhere through the frustration. It's just frustrating. The common argument I've seen is to just keep more food or get it from the almshouse.

The problem with this is that the sheer amount of food needed to get anywhere if you don't own a horse is staggering.

Example: I went to two places in the city on a character I have. Took two rations with me. Rations are one of the highest mv regenerators in the game. I had to use not just one but both by the time I was done doing a simple errand.

Rations are worth around 120 silver if you get them at a store. They also take a lot of mats to make if you want to avoid the silver cost and make them yourself, which also requires running around to do. That means on my freeman, it costed around 200+ silver just to do what I wanted to do on that -one- trip. That's just not sustainably feasible.

My personal suggestion is lowering the movement penalty. The argument that we should seek IC solutions hasn't worked, and hasn't worked since the system went into place. Infrastructure has almost never moved from the lower tiers and -multiple- attempts have been made by players in an effort to raise it.

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Fri May 25, 2018 12:21 pm

The_Last_Good_Dragon wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 8:28 am
I remain a big supporter of the current mechanics for Infrastructure as one of the more well-managed of the city metric penalties. Is it 'annoying' to have to keep a cache of food around? Yes; but the "satisfaction of frustration" is something that most MUDs don't have but TLI does. If the effects of these crummy metrics are avoidable just by a longer 'travel' time then .. meh. And while closing off exits sounds kinda coolish, remember that city metrics remain static for two weeks at a time, which translates to two months IC. While for non-essential exits that can make plenty of sense, critical points like city gates or main thoroughfares being closed for that long will be low-key obnoxious to deal with in RP... "Yes, I know it's bad, and it'll become better probably, but we have to wait another IRL week before the metrics bump...."
It would be no more obnoxious than quite literally foregoing a scene because you can't make it without crawling.
Lurks the Forums

• Information