Ingame Travel and Infrastructure

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Mon May 28, 2018 10:27 am

Ideas for how to 'deal with the infrastructure problem' raised in this thread so far (mostly as mentioned on this page because I'm too lazy to go back and read three pages):

- spend influence to affect metrics directly (if a player needs IP, they can seek support, pool with peers, or just buy it with silver)
- ICly campaign to leverage people who can influence directly to do so on your behalf
- Learn to ICly cope with it by carrying food, perhaps by making deals to get cheap food from cooks, learning to cook yourself, or visiting the Alms House and/or drinking out of fountains
- Buy a bedroll and scout out places to rest on paths
- Consider RPing in alternative areas to the city as only city sectors and roads are affected
- Buy (or ICly rent) a horse
- Crawl from place to place

Not mentioned, but both viable and a personal favorites:
- Sacrifice your best friend to become a mage and get the spell that restores moves
- Unless you already are a mage, in which case sacrifice another mage to get all of their spells so you can get that sweet, sweet mage viagar- uh, mv restoration spell
- Turn to heresy and make a mage friend to keep you vigorous (I hear it's all the rage these days).

The way I see it is that some people want there to be no impact because the impact isn't 'fun' - but not having any impact defeats the purpose, and adaption in itself shows how decisions and actions are meaningful in game.

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Mon May 28, 2018 10:54 am

What I don't like, though, are the several OOC hours needed to rest.

Resting only takes like 30 RL minutes or so. Though I'm not sure if stats play a part in that. I've never had it take literal RL hours. But when you are sleeping can be a good time to work on strings or write mail in Notepad OOC or other stuff. Or write cnotes and other things.

Starstarfish
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Mon May 28, 2018 11:37 am

The way I see it is that some people want there to be no impact because the impact isn't 'fun' - but not having any impact defeats the purpose, and adaption in itself shows how decisions and actions are meaningful in game.

Personally, I'm not saying there should be no impact and I can of course see how some people benefit from this and how indeed it can lead to RP by being able to comment on it or to deal with it. It has certainly led to me RPing about it.

However, what I do think/feel is that for the purposes of roleplay that being able to do something about this -inside roleplay- would lead to a more rich environment than just addressing it through code Metrics votes. IE - that having a physical object people can actually see/interact with that represents "the ruined roads" like graffiti or lightening strikes would help RP more than it being a more ephemeral idea. And that like dirty fountains or graffiti having a way to fix those things via a craft/command would give a more viable reason to pay someone on grid silver that would then stay -on grid- versus paying to buy IP that just disappears off-grid and doesn't directly benefit the people doing the IC work.

And like poisonings or other negative consequences it seems that mages and magic have work arounds to a lot of negative consequences already. So all I'm arguing across multiple platforms is to give non-magical folks an equivalent through on grid hard work. But when magic has an RP on-grid way to deal with things and everyone else can only address it via code (IP) or via RPA, it makes for IMHO an even playing experience.

Kinaed

Mon May 28, 2018 6:04 pm

Non magic folks can sleep, eat, and ride as well as any mage. Or access every other item on the above list. Magic has several advantages and one major, major disadvantage.

I'm not really agreeing that an 'even playing experience' is required, and balancing such things is wholly subjective anyway.

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Mon May 28, 2018 10:46 pm

Kinaed wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 10:27 am
Kinaed, I actually take quite a bit of offense from this comment, and it makes me wonder if you've even read the posts towards the start of the thread. Your early reply also was incredibly dismissive in nature, but I assumed I was just reading too much into it, but given this comment I don't believe I was.

The people arguing against the MV drain are not arguing for a removal of "impact" from low infrastructure, but a change of the impact to something not so critical to the entirety of the game. For example, I provided an alternative that would keep the same level of impact, basically making the travel command somewhat useless, yet created more avenues of potential rp. The alternative I brought up would also keep in line with the standards of the other low metrics, since Taunya was kind of enough to post what every other low metric did. The whole point of this thread originally was to find alternatives to the horrific and game damaging MV drain. And yes, I consider it game damaging compared to every other low metric, given the impact MV has on every aspect of the game, at least in regards to a character's ability to do things.

In regards to your earlier comment of "'if it's bugging players, why don't they try to do something about it and see if it works." I found this dismissive as it completely ignores the fact people have been trying to improve infrastructure, maybe not alot of people, but there have been people who have tried consistently. So they have tried to do something about it, and it's proven not to work. I'm not meaning to be rude here, but both of these comments have rubbed me the wrong way.

Link to the relevant post where I talked about my alternative
Lurks the Forums

Kinaed

Mon May 28, 2018 11:35 pm

Vox, your post reads to me like you're looking for a fight, and I'm not interested in providing one. Please approach me in game to discuss your offense privately if you feel that it requires pursuing, but this is not the medium for it.

Players, please feel free to continue discussing infrastructure.

Taunya

Tue May 29, 2018 2:05 am

Resting does take a long time to fully regain mv to fresh. I haven't tested, and probably depends on many factors, but it is likely several hours like Helena said. Sleeping is much faster (Probably closer to 30 minutes like Starstarfish said), but it does leave your character more vulnerable than resting if it's not in a safe location.

Kinaed

Tue May 29, 2018 2:27 am

You can speed up resting returns with bedrolls, I believe. Niamh has also built a hostel in the mid-city as a place for people to rest up.

Taunya

Tue May 29, 2018 2:33 am

That was assuming beds, which gives a little more than rolls if I recall correctly. (Or beds and rolls might be the same, but gives more than couches... don't quite recall)

The_Last_Good_Dragon

Tue May 29, 2018 3:31 am

I'm going to pipe in and say that I'm reading much of the same as Kinaed in that people aren't liking the impact because they feel it — that's kind of the point, and TLI isn't really designed to be the kind of game that's always 100% pure easy-going enjoyment; your characters can get killed for stuff they didn't do, your character can get bullied around unfairly; your resources are limited based on thematic choices and your situation often might not feel entirely under your own control. That's a lot of the fun and charm of the place, and I'd be grumpy if things were made easier simply for the sake of it being easier on IC resources. If it was OOCly annoying or an inhibition to playing the game that'd be one thing, but as others have pointed out there are a plethora of options to mitigate the affect of a low metric.
~~ Team Farra'n'Stuff. ~~

• Information