Discussion: Dual Guilding to Removed

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Niamh
Discord Handle: Niamh#3824

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:17 am

The_Last_Good_Dragon wrote:
Kinaed wrote:There's a command, "skills list" that does this instead of a help file.
I did not know this! While I see that the helpfile 'help skill list' links from 'help purchase skill', could a mention of it maybe be added to purchase skill? — or added to the room discussing skills, if it's not already there? :D
Added a reference to help guildskills and help skill list.

FiniteAviary

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:54 pm

I realize that I am definitely one of the newer players (pof Paton for the interested). However, I thought I might give my perspective on this as I was getting settled in to the game.

I spent a considerable amount of time thinking about what my first character would be. I noodled around on a tester character and tried to figure out what the game dynamics were and what was needed. One thing I constantly ran into was that the character "market" was saturated. Nothing was needed because so many characters were everything. Why should I become a leatherworker if Reeves and Knights could not only create grandmaster quality goods, but also sell them because they were dual-guilded merchants? This is just one example, but it clearly shows the lack of openings under a dual-guild system.

Ultimately, I believe single-guild systems will increase character needs. When everyone can do everything, no one needs to seek other characters out for goods or services. This creates a vicious cycle of self-reliance in services and vertical integration in trades.

All of this is to say, as a new player, I am encouraged and excited by this change.

Geras

Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:57 am

Niamh wrote:
Geras wrote:
Niamh wrote:The Tenebrae position was empty for about 24 hours, and it had nothing to do with dual guilding. The GL went inactive and stayed inactive. When the system booted him, someone took the mantle within a day. I think it would be best to avoid misinformation if we can. It's how weird rumors get going and useful topics get derailed into not-as-useful topics.
I think the point is more than an inactive Tenebrae is effectively a vacant Tenebrae, meaning that people ready to be guilded weren't.
Wasn't the case, though, thankfully. I was curious why they didn't gambit the inactive, however. Maybe he was popular before the big vanish?
Must have been. Unfortunately life consumes the best of us.

I think Finite's point is a good one. I'd just make a distinction between "lawful" dual guilding and covert dual guilding. I don't think a Reeve/Manus or Thief/Bard dual guilding puts a chill on the market in the same way a Reeve/merchant or something like that does.

Taunya

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:30 am

Really, the change could make for even better cover for some of the sneaky types. While they'd lose guild-only commands, the thieves' guild could still have unguilded informants in other guilds.

I enjoyed my RP with the last Tenebrae! Sorry to hear he got nabbed by Candlejack or whatever happens to those who disappear from

• Information