Magery and confession

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Puciek

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:10 pm

The_Last_Good_Dragon wrote:
Puciek wrote: No idea where you got the idea that confession is not complete unless cleansing is done either, seems like pulled out of the air

Code: Select all

As such, confession and the cleansing that goes along with it
(Removed by Staff. Reason: Uncivil.)
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Klapman

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:16 pm

Puciek wrote:
Puciek wrote: No idea where you got the idea that confession is not complete unless cleansing is done either, seems like pulled out of the air

(Removed by Staff. Reason: Uncivil.)
(Removed by Staff. Reason: Uncivil/inflammatory.)
Characters: Jamus Grunsky, Takaro Sanche, Renton Feland

Puciek

Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:03 pm

Once again, I'm not trying to have an argument and say that it needs to be my way; you seem to think that. I'm looking for further clarification to certain points, as the helpfiles seem to contradict each other in key points.
Since you've added text I will take a stab at responding. The theme is not clear on this for reasons that it would have to explain inner working of order, something common people wouldn't know and don't need to know. Priest while may tell the mage to go and turn himself in to the inquisition, has really no way of following up on it, unless someone explicitly tells him what was the result of the matter. They don't have keys to the inquisitors' board (maybe that has changed?) and usually don't get copied on warrants. They also have no right of arrest, nor do inquisitors, so even if as penance you will give that confessed mage to turn himself in, you won't know if he did or did not right away - thus even by that stretch of definition (and ignoring staff) you don't know if they've broken the confession seal. They may have even confessed it to an inquisitor but refused to go along and there may be a warrant for their arrest. Or there may be something more brewing with this particular mage. Everyone is kept in the dark about the inner working of the Inquisition, besides those that must know, it's how it usually goes.

But the only way for that priest to know it is to either ask the mage, be told by someone out of their own will, or break the seal of confession to follow up. What will be the punishment for breaking the seal and your vows? What will your priest do to follow up on carrying out the penance? Or maybe he will break the theme in another way and attempt to arrest the mage him/her self? Those are all grey areas that are not set in stone, but what is important is that the ones involving break of the theme won't be done lightly, especially if the more rp-driving way is available.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:54 pm

The theme is not clear on this for reasons that it would have to explain inner working of order, something common people wouldn't know and don't need to know.
Except that's something that I think is RPed as thing fairly often even when it shouldn't be - IE how folks will at the drop of a hat will call and label everyone else a heretic. And infer that they know what that all means and that they are at liberty to make that designation.
Everyone is kept in the dark about the inner working of the Inquisition, besides those that must know, it's how it usually goes.
Which is how it should go, but when there's RP of ... if the Inquisition doesn't tell everyone how it works or why they are "hiding something" it changes the dynamic of things. As people start to infer like it's the modern Freedom of Information Act.

Also, isn't the Patriarch a different position than the Cardinal? Because in theory, at least according to helpfiles each Duchy has it's own Cardinal and above all of them sits the Patriarch. If that's no longer accurate, some things might need a peek.

Temi

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:14 am

Starstarfish wrote:Also, isn't the Patriarch a different position than the Cardinal? Because in theory, at least according to helpfiles each Duchy has it's own Cardinal and above all of them sits the Patriarch. If that's no longer accurate, some things might need a peek.
The Cardinal of Lithmore is also the Patriarch. Each other Duchy also has its own Cardinal, but those Cardinals aren't the Patriarchs. The Queen used to be the Patriarch, but that ended when the Harmon line was lost.

Rothgar

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:18 am

Spoops wrote:What priests are losing out on RP? The game hasn't had priests in like a year.
This. Any answer on this?
Zeita wrote:The only time, as a priest/Inquisitor that I've had a mage confess in the confessional, was when they were about to (and then promptly did) kill me.

My personal theological take of Davism (noting that I never really fully absorbed the softening of the Order from a couple years back), and thus the approach that my Orderites would have taken, is to move a theoretical confessee to the pyre very quickly. As a pious priest, that would have been to tell them to take it to an Inquisitor and check in on the process of that very thoroughly. If they failed to do so, I'd report them under the reasoning that the danger to their soul (and my part in endangering it) in remaining uncleansed is greater than the weight of sin from breaking the seal of confession.

If they confessed to an honest, non-corrupt Inquisitor of mine, I'd warrant them flat out.
And this. You'd have to be insane if you honestly think I'm going to take confession as a Priest from an open, murderous Mage and not tell someone about it. I'll take that Policy case, you can go ahead and send it. I'm not going to sit idly by for that one.
Rothgar Astartes, Fyurii Rynnya, Nils 'Smith' Mattias, Edward Darson, Curos Arents.

Geras

Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:39 pm

I would think a reasonable compromise would be similar to what psychiatrists face IRL - namely that patient confidentially does not extend to situations where the patient poses an immediate danger to him/herself or others.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:56 pm

I'm not impressed with a player saying they'll take a policy case because they feel it's appropriate to ignore the theme as designed and curated by the staff on our system.

I agree the help files may need some clarity; I'll ask Staff to put it on our Talking Points for discussion.

Starstarfish
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:14 pm

I'm wondering if one possible thing to clarify in help confession would be some kind of agreed common statement/ceremony that begins an official confession. (Mother/Father/Inquisitor ... I have sinned and seek confession?)

As sometimes there seems to be confusion on how not all conversations with an Orderite are indeed confessions. Which can leave both players potentially confused and/or misunderstanding the intent of the conversation even unintentionally from an OOC standpoint regardless of IC intent.

Also, if a concern overall is Priest PCs missing out on potential confession RP, one consideration might be about clarifying the policy/thought that if a Priest type offers/asks about wanting said RP should that take precedence over the idea of doing virtual confessions with vNPCs. Or maybe offer 2 QP for confession related pvents to bump up use?

• Information