Lithmorran Home Security

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:32 am

AKA Traps

So, players, if you wanted to be able to create traps to inconvenience burglars, what would you like to see? Let us know below!

NOTE: Traps will only be able to be set in rooms you own unless you use RPA to set them elsewhere (to prevent players from doing things like trapping every room from the Bear and the Boar to Church Square - 'cause we all know at least one guy who would do that.)

-+[-__-]+-

Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:44 am

Noisemakers. Traps that rpyell (or whatever) loud sounds into adjoining rooms to alert people that uninvited guests are sneaking about.

Caltrops. Damage applied to feet to deter criminals from going further inside as well as impeding their escapes.

LonelyNeptune

Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:05 am

Puffs of brightly coloured dye to mark or blind the uninvited guest when the trap is triggered. Could maybe be achieved with the existing perfume feature?

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:32 am

Will these items/code be staff loaded via QP?

I'm wondering if you could have both staff QP ones (that can only be in phomes/pshops owned rooms - like caltrops/deadfalls etc.)

But then also allow some of the less harmful items - (the dye suggestion, noisemakers) etc - to be crafted and used ICly. These might simply morph away and be temporary like cooking fires, etc. Seems like something that might be a good source of IC income for certain folks with how silver circulates now . :D

Puciek

Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:32 pm

All i want for xmas is you...

In more serious answer I don't think I want traps in houses on TI as I struggle to see the added value that will bring. if they are just a punishment you cannot avoid when breaking in then that's just further deterrent from crime (and it's risky enough of a life) and if it's random/avoidable with care, well, burglars already have all the time in the world majority of the time unless there are online, free, reeves and the room reports.

There are also matters of technicality like dye-pouches depend on explosives/compressed air/some other force of rapidly expanding energy which is debatably doable given technology level we have IC. And would likely cost more than whatever they protect.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Starstarfish
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:06 pm

There are also matters of technicality like dye-pouches depend on explosives/compressed air/some other force of rapidly expanding energy which is debatably doable given technology level we have IC. And would likely cost more than whatever they protect.
I was thinking like colored flours/powders you could sprinkle on a floor that would give a bonus to tracking and footprints etc. That's fairly low tech.

Puciek

Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:22 pm

Starstarfish wrote:
I was thinking like colored flours/powders you could sprinkle on a floor that would give a bonus to tracking and footprints etc. That's fairly low tech.
And what collect/sprinkle it every time you walk through the room/open the window etc? And then there is the ultimate thieve solution for the problem, just use a broom or a cloak to just mess the whole floor up, removing any tracks that surface has left.

But that's just nitpicking on one idea, I would really love to hear what is the general goal of those traps as an IC thing.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Rothgar

Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:07 pm

I like some of the suggestions made here :
http://ti-legacy.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 5435&hilit

Though to be completely frank, I don't like the idea of traps or trapping, or the meta that the change would demand. I don't particularly like the idea of having the search command, with its current limitations, be made a mission-critical thing for thieves, either. That breaking and entering is already a high-risk, low-reward action doesn't bode well - in my mind - for the possibility of clever, rewarding, or interesting RP coming out of traps and trapmaking.

Keep in mind that several of the arguments made against spells that had similar effects. They're probably still applicable here.
Rothgar Astartes, Fyurii Rynnya, Nils 'Smith' Mattias, Edward Darson, Curos Arents.

lkbalboa

Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:36 pm

I think any changes made should generally make it easier to commit crime, do bad things, and promote conflict. There isn't much benefit to breaking into a house, and making it even harder doesn't seem like it would overall benefit the game.

Geras

Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:08 pm

Puciek wrote:Image
All i want for xmas is you...

In more serious answer I don't think I want traps in houses on TI as I struggle to see the added value that will bring. if they are just a punishment you cannot avoid when breaking in then that's just further deterrent from crime (and it's risky enough of a life) and if it's random/avoidable with care, well, burglars already have all the time in the world majority of the time unless there are online, free, reeves and the room reports.

A bucket of sap that tips over would work.

Add ochre or a few other dye options so you could know that that guy covered in bright orange sap probably robbed your places, and you're good to go. It could be hidden when you have a fresh cloak and go away when you wash or after 1 IRL hour?

• Information