System RP Detractors

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:19 pm

Things that distract you from RP rather than support your RP experience. The rumor system may be an example because people find it "unthematic" (I just don't want this thread to focus on problem solving a particular system). Other examples were people having issues with teaching because it's spammy or support because it's hard to ask naturally ICly

EDIT: also, sorry for being cranky above, I was battling my telco who shut off internet service.

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:48 am

These are likely sort of small, but:

- Coded bed objects that you can't sleep on. (Perhaps instead lower quality beds shouldn't give the same MV return, but not being able to sleep on them at all is slightly weird RP wise.)

- What wear slot a clothing item will go on requiring a Mercantilism check

- Spam eating/drinking (an option to eat item # perhaps to eat more than one bite of something?)

- Standing up getting the weird OOC message.

Andruid

Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:12 pm

Starstarfish wrote:- Coded bed objects that you can't sleep on. (Perhaps instead lower quality beds shouldn't give the same MV return, but not being able to sleep on them at all is slightly weird RP wise.)
If you see a bed recipe that doesn't allow sleep_on, please typoboard.

If it's a notake item in a public place, please typoboard.

If it was an item bought at the auction house or from a PC crafter, or left behind by a PC crafter, it's possible they thought they could use a couch recipe like a bed or something to that effect or otherwise wasn't aware of the differences. The item should be reported or turned into firewood or replaced ICly as defective -- whatever route makes sense.

In any case, there should not be beds of the bed template/furniture type that cannot be slept on, and any that exist are either fixable with staff help or ought to be replaced with "real" beds.

Andruid

Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:26 pm

I don't know if these two minor things qualify as RP detractors, per se, but they've stood out to me as inconsistent, and inconsistency can look "sloppy" or even be a source of mild confusion to new players:

1) Naming conventions for skills. Some skill names still take the form of a verb rather than a noun, e.g. Swim and Ride instead of Swimming and Riding, and this can make things less intuitive and cause misfiring issues when using emote -skill, for example. I understand it's a bit of a headache to update them, however.

2) Some threaded commands do not print a message that you've begun them as soon as you enter a command, which can be mildly immersion-breaking. You can end up waiting 10-20 seconds before getting anything back from the game to let you know that your threaded command is underway. This can cause some confusion -- leading one to wonder whether they have lag or lost connection, or maybe the command didn't work, etc. I think it's just good practice that a threaded command returns SOMETHING the moment you enter it, even if just to say, "Andruid begins to butcher the corpse." or "Andruid begins to perform a search of the area."

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:15 am

Andruid wrote:2) Some threaded commands do not print a message that you've begun them as soon as you enter a command, which can be mildly immersion-breaking. You can end up waiting 10-20 seconds before getting anything back from the game to let you know that your threaded command is underway. ..."
Can you provide a list of those? Seems like a potential bug.

Also, to everyone - thanks again for the additional feedback!

Starstarfish
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:47 pm

- Using "Worth" being obvious to everyone in the room.

I have seen a few moments where the timing of this has been hilarious, but overall given that it reports not just what is on you, but your bank account even if your pockets are empty, it isn't necessarily even a remark to the rest of the room that you are indeed worth robbing. ;) And can get amazingly spammy in the middle of a scene.

- Crafting spam.

Some of this stuff are things you might want to do naturally with other folks in the room as a social activity (like say ... cooking or fishing) but the spam can be more difficult if not killer to RP around for any length of time. Could some of these things perhaps default like other systems to the pre-coded echoes if you are alone but instead allow for a submitted emote to serve instead when you are in active RP?

• Information