Alt convo, from OOC meeting 10/21/2017

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Puciek

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:46 am

I am not against alts, but I am against the idea of having multiple characters in the same guild and more than 3 characters, total, at any time. And I think that putting those limits in place would resolve the problems mentioned, and I think everyone will agree that 3 slots are plenty - you have one for your "main', one for permanent jester character that never gets into anything serious, and one slot open for a secondary main character. What more do you really need?

And really people who have many alts in single guild should go forth and explore some new avenues of RP that other guilds provide, not keep taking away slots in said guild. it's especially a problem with merchants where it just doesn't help anyone to have 4 blacksmiths, so people are discouraged to roll even more of those when there are multiple active ones on the grid already.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:21 am

The multiple alts in a single guild really only seems to be an issue for the Merchants. I mean just look at their census compared to any other guilds census.
Lurks the Forums

LonelyNeptune

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:23 pm

While I do like having alts, I think a 3 alt limit and only having one alt per guild is perfectly reasonable.

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:37 pm

LonelyNeptune wrote:While I do like having alts, I think a 3 alt limit and only having one alt per guild is perfectly reasonable.
The only reason I'm against the one alt per guild thing is because of the order. The order used to be two guilds, who fulfilled very different roles. And in many ways they still function that same way, just codely united. If the order were to be separated once again, I'd be all in favor of the 1 alt per guild, because then a person could still play a priest/inquisitor and a knight, which are very different roles.
Lurks the Forums

wimple

Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:56 am

I'm not really sure how useful this thread is overall. I don't really feel like this should have been suggested to the pbase at the meeting, either. Because of the issue attached to it, it sounds like a policy issue, and the sort of thing that needs to be addressed IF people are really doing this. If so, then this is an imm discussion, not a player one, and should be handled that way. If there isn't a policy issue at play - people aren't doing this - then it feels like OOC bullying for the reasons behind the suggestion to have been presented to the pbase at large.

I also don't think it's really useful to spitball ideas without more information. How many active player accounts are there? What's the average number of active alts that players have? A whole lot of people in this thread or at the meeting are saying they either have none or one or two alts at most, although there are a few outliers. If that's the average, and this is still an issue, than a restriction of alts to three is not going to help. If the average is higher, then sure, a restriction to 2-3 may help. If there isn't the issue going on, then this may not need to be a discussion that needs to be had.

Andruid

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:57 am

I'm one of those one-or-two alts people, and I agree with those who have already said that if this even is a problem, then it ought to be resolved at the level of the individual player or players who are having trouble keeping their storylines separate.

• Information