Player Control over City Metrics

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Rothgar

Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:50 pm

chronodbu wrote:How does this affect GLs who are effectively kingdom spanning ones? Thematically, many of our GLs extend further than the city of Lithmore so it doesn't really make sense for the Seneschal who''s acting in the capacity of Lithmore City to really have any power over them.

The intent seems interesting but in practice it sort of battles with theme.
This. The seneschal is self-described (in the helpfile) as "separate from the kingdom-wide level of government." So now they're not? Not to mention that, in the helpfile, it states that "The Seneschal can be nominated from any citizen of Lithmore." While already an iffy idea in a situation where Nobles are considered direct descendants of Dav Himself, and peasants are considered so much detritus in the way of that fact, this gives the random Citizen of Lithmore the potential to grab more power than a Noble ever could hope to.

I can see where this seemed like a good idea - AFK GL's are a pox on the game, and tend to ruin more than they could ever fix - but this seems overkill, at best.
Rothgar Astartes, Fyurii Rynnya, Nils 'Smith' Mattias, Edward Darson, Curos Arents.

chronodbu

Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:54 pm

Tbh, I know it isn't likely to happen but it'd be kind of cool if instead of it being city assets, if it was Kingdom Assets instead and Seneschal/City Council was converted back into a royal council system.

Would also seriously support our noble players wanting to vye for dat power.

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:56 pm

Rothgar wrote: While already an iffy idea in a situation where Nobles are considered direct descendants of Dav Himself,
Is this a thing? I don't feel this is a thing. I mean sure the Harmons I could understand, but I've never heard nobles described as descendants of Dav himself, especially since several noble lands, such as lothos, existed before dav came to power.
Lurks the Forums

chronodbu

Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:58 pm

They aren't or they would have been hit by the harmon plague.

Rothgar

Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:59 pm

Voxumo wrote:
Rothgar wrote: While already an iffy idea in a situation where Nobles are considered direct descendants of Dav Himself,
Is this a thing? I don't feel this is a thing. I mean sure the Harmons I could understand, but I've never heard nobles described as descendants of Dav himself, especially since several noble lands, such as lothos, existed before dav came to power.
You're absolutely correct, this is no longer a thing and I was mistaken. The Law of Bloodless Inheritance allows for non-blooded Nobles to inherit the Barony of another Noble, and the Queen can grant Nobility if she feels as though someone deserves it.

Apologies, I've never played a Noble and my understanding of them was significantly out of date.
Rothgar Astartes, Fyurii Rynnya, Nils 'Smith' Mattias, Edward Darson, Curos Arents.

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:29 pm

Rothgar wrote:
Voxumo wrote:
You're absolutely correct, this is no longer a thing and I was mistaken. The Law of Bloodless Inheritance allows for non-blooded Nobles to inherit the Barony of another Noble, and the Queen can grant Nobility if she feels as though someone deserves it.

Apologies, I've never played a Noble and my understanding of them was significantly out of date.
I wasn't meaning it to attack you. I haven't played a noble in awhile, and haven't really looked up at helpfiles relating to this topic in awhile. I didn't know if I was just misremembering or what.
Lurks the Forums

Rothgar

Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:33 pm

Voxumo wrote:I wasn't meaning it to attack you. I haven't played a noble in awhile, and haven't really looked up at helpfiles relating to this topic in awhile. I didn't know if I was just misremembering or what.
Nah, you're good! It's good to have it corrected, I didn't know either. From the helpfile - like you said, before :
More recently, the Law of Bloodless Inheritance allowed the owner of a title to will it to whomever they choose, including non-family relationships.
Titles, however, can be removed by the king or queen as well as granted, though this is rarely done.
It's all good, man, good looking out.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:22 pm

It's true that the Seneschal's authority is local, but they're powerful and the guildleaders in question live in the city and are therefore subject to their administration. Again, initiating a gambit does not automatically remove a GL, rather, it automatically gives the pbase the ability to weigh in on if a GL will remain. It seems entirely appropriate to me.

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:43 pm

How often will that be able to happen? Daily? Weekly? Whenever the Seneschal feels like it? That seems really potentially disruptive.

Also, I'm guessing that will only be for non-covert Guilds, so doesn't that give a big bonus for being the leader of one of those? IE - that are above the politics the other GLs are?

Rothgar

Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:02 pm

Kinaed wrote:It's true that the Seneschal's authority is local, but they're powerful and the guildleaders in question live in the city and are therefore subject to their administration. Again, initiating a gambit does not automatically remove a GL, rather, it automatically gives the pbase the ability to weigh in on if a GL will remain. It seems entirely appropriate to me.
Question : If I make the IC decision to live outside the City, am I no longer subject to the Seneschal's wonts or concerns? In theory, that'd be a perfectly acceptable IC decision to make, too, one that's been made by several characters several times.

• Information