Player Control over City Metrics

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Puciek

Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:49 am

There is also 5 IP from rumours up for grabs for anyone.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Popcorn

Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:17 am

I also agree that assets should have their own room in chargen. They're too important to be tacked on the end of the purchase room, and more than one newbie to the game has been utterly confused by what they are, why they'd need one, and how to make one.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:39 am

I've asked Niamh to tackle putting together a room to explain assets, money, support, and city metrics.

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:38 am

I have sort of the following thoughts/feelings about metrics:

- I like the idea of them representing people's IC efforts at various things and the various Guilds affecting things via their actions on grid. I like the RP aspect of metrics.

However, that being said, I do agree that sometimes it can feel like because metrics are now tied into silver via assets, you have to make choices that might not necessarily be the best ones your character would best make because of concern over income. IE - an interesting idea gets brought forth to support, however,

Also that the "punishment" for a really low metric can be dire but because metrics all share the same pool, it feels like the "chose your destroyer" scenario. Like was player owned property actively destroyed in the last event about the Tubori Quarter? (If so, ouch - :( )

I'd suggest that it be considered that metrics voting be more like Gambit voting, where votes are considered based on someone's social rank/power and sort of be based on a total, rather than the idea of one single vote from one person holding such sway over something now affecting the entire playerbase. I think when it was less direct and more for sort of plots/RP that didn't matter as much. Also, that people with higher IPs should arguably have more influence to spread around to different things rather than put all their eggs in one basket - like how IRL the idle rich might support a number of charities or causes.

chronodbu

Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:57 pm

I rather support Andruid's suggestion about Gentry in chargen with their starting assets. Really would make sense for it to be easier for one to come in with a tier 2.

kipperialovskii

Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:45 pm

Well... Is the current metric system truly an issue?

For example. Just a month ago, I assigned my influence among my guildsmen/women. By giving them the 'tools for the task' (2 IP) they were able to amass The other 3 IP from simply participating in the rumor system, and gaining political clout. At the end of the day, they would have 5 IP-- The ability to alter an entire vote. This would be an example of how, through an organization, a freeman is able to affect politics.

Freemen and Gentry aren't given free votes unless they're a part of the council/GL status. (This is effectively being in charge of an entire organization spanning the Duchies. You, objectively, have the most say in the allocation of resources.)

A freeman or lone gentry wouldn't really have much affect on city-wide politics, unless backed by pretty politically strong people, or a bunch of people who make up the population. (Gentry would have more of a chance than freemen for a marked improvement, however.)

So, if people of power are naturally focusing on pulling infrastructure from the dirt, but people already benefit from infrastructure being so low, would it not be fair, if the strongest side of the conflict were to succeed? An entire council-effort focused on increasing a single metric, in despite of un-supported, non-political freemen? Approach it IC, and petition the council, and focus that metric. Talk to your guildleader.

No matter what, there will always be metrics too low, or too high. Someone is -always- going to be in the bottom rung, or the top rung. There are a limited amount of resources to spend between metrics. Wealth may drop, but Health immediately rises by the same amount. But the best thing, for your metric, is to be a part of a guild, and try and network where you can.

kipperialovskii

Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:53 pm

TL;DR:

The best solution I can offer to try and change things, is to find a guild that best represents your interests (The lone wolf dies, but the pack grows strong), and try and both get your GL on your side, or your guildmates. You'll be able to amass things slowly, but unless you have a web of connections and power-- Or the foresight on how to play the game of politics (Consult Seneschal.) immediate, wallbreaking change will be hard.

Starstarfish
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:41 am

I'm concerned that with the proposed update that the Seneschal will be able to start a Gambit regardless of GL approval that gives one player the coded ability to disrupt every Guild on grid on a whim.

And essentially hold the coded power to blackmail or hold other people's metrics votes (given they know how people vote) hostage in order to not get kicked out.

Doesn't that sort of ruin the whole point of support? What waa the decision to want to give the Seneschal that power?

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:55 am

The Seneschal can only initiate a gambit; that doesn't actually kick anyone out, particularly if the GL they tip their hand against is well liked.

However, the Seneschal is the governor of the city, and we intend for them to have more power than they currently do to reflect that. We absolutely hope they do use it to blackmail people where ICly appropriate; that's politics - but more importantly, we want a player in game who can react to inactive GLs faster than code can, and an IC third party people can go to when there's a problem with a GL instead of going to staff.

chronodbu

Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:32 pm

How does this affect GLs who are effectively kingdom spanning ones? Thematically, many of our GLs extend further than the city of Lithmore so it doesn't really make sense for the Seneschal who''s acting in the capacity of Lithmore City to really have any power over them.

The intent seems interesting but in practice it sort of battles with theme.

• Information