Things to Do that Aren't RP

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:36 pm

Starstarfish wrote:If crafting provides an RP bonus, what's the possibility it could be set up like sparring wherein if you are with others you can/should submit echoes?

I think I'd be more inclined to go to public places and do crafts as a way to RP if there was a way to RP through the stages and emote, or hide the echoes for other than the room so the crafter can RP without also spamming people.
Possibly, seems like a good idea. Have to look into coding effort.

Taunya

Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:32 am

A couple of mini-games might be fun. Stone skipping could be one: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1372&p=9105

Perhaps a turning the shoot command into a game could be fun too:

shoot <target> <degree> <power> <emote>

The degrees could go from 0 to 90, and power could be the direct mv cost of the command. So you could get more shots by using less mv if you carefully adjust your aim up, but with more of a chance if the wind catching it and missing completely. The conditions could change every five minutes, requiring a re-adjustment of aim and power to make it interesting.

Basically something along the lines of the old games Cannon Fodder, or a simplified version of Scorched Earth. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artillery_game

Helena

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:51 am

I agree that crafting is too spammy for roleplaying it.

Otherwise, I'm surprised people want something to do outside of RP. Isn't it that they want to find RP more easily? I'd better focus on the later. If seeking RP is a problem which can't be solved, should'n't we better focus on asynchronous RP? I'm not much ingaged in anything, but I have yet enough boards, mails, dissertations, plots, cnote to give me the wish to login when nobody's online, and fill that time.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:00 am

Can you give examples of asynchronous RP? Thanks!

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:56 am

The rumor system is a good example. I personally have a good love-hate relationship with the rumor system but, it allows people to introduce RP hooks to others even if they can't necessarily directly scene because of time zone conflicts or other factors. It's a system that introduces possible RP to lots of different people.

So asynchronous systems I think that allow two people to get RP but not necessarily at the same time.

Helena

Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:00 pm

Mails, plots, and cnotes, essentially, are asynchronous RP.

If we consider they can fill the time of players who have difficulties to find RP, we will probably want to find a way to distribute them to the less socialized of the characters (cyans, probably).
- Maybe some kind of solidarity chain, where introduced characters can offer help via mails to newcommers, and are designed a cyan whom they are supposed to help? So, without even an hour of RP, cyans will have access to mail RP.
- Maybe some kind of plot: The Order requires you to present yourself at the cathedral and answer these questions. Then again, the character has done nothing, but has yet to fill a plot to answer those questions.
- It could be a staff run plot reserved to cyan, which only them can sort out, maybe encouraging them to meet. I have no idea for this one though.
- It could also be some staff intervention, based on Cnote of cyans, designed to help them. Say, if the cnote contains "I am a mage" , maybe that staff could send him a letter stating he should confess, or write the manus. If the cnote contains "I'm want to find a spouse", he receives an anymous mail stating "Miss Y seeks to mary".

Starstarfish
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:02 pm

- Maybe some kind of solidarity chain, where introduced characters can offer help via mails to newcommers, and are designed a cyan whom they are supposed to help? So, without even an hour of RP, cyans will have access to mail RP.
Perhaps a setting that people can put on their name on who to show they are noob friendly and can be sent tells/pboards etc to help out? Having an updated list of helpful people to mail and/or pboard in chargen might be helpful too.
- Maybe some kind of plot: The Order requires you to present yourself at the cathedral and answer these questions. Then again, the character has done nothing, but has yet to fill a plot to answer those questions.
Perhaps what I might suggest is some kind of "scavenger hunt" that new players (IE - first character on an account) can do to visit places or speak to certain people (GLs perhaps) and they can earn a QP or 2 for doing it. I think given some current IC efforts it might go hand in hand with the idea of a guide for new people arriving to Lithmore.

Perhaps they could be race and class based to best encourage folks to get more of a feel for their role.

Percival

Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:32 pm

I'd appreciate if the crafting steps could be hidden to third parties, only showing the finishing step.

• Information