[Poll] Should players be limited to one character in any given guild?

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Should players be limited to one character per any given guild?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:22 pm

Yes
32%
No
55%
Maybe, comments below
14%

Total votes: 22
Puciek

Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:22 am

Kinaed wrote:Also in the vein of staving off misinformation:
Rabek wrote:We've had an excellent staff member asked to step down for mentioning a plot line one of their alts was connected to as another alt when that alt was ICly asked about said plot line.
That's not what happened.

Takta was asked to step down because she was online with Takta, noted RP she didn't agree with (the execution of one of her alts's lovers/friends) happening as a staff member, and logged Ariel in (not related to the RP), to stop the execution.

In her view, she was stopping the execution for policy reasons even though she checked with me as policy prior and I said no, it was for players to stop if they wanted to, not staff.

Here is the link to the policy disclosure on Takta's dismissal.
Could the takta dismissal get a sticky? I wasn't aware that this existed, and there is scuttle bug going around it, and this post nails down of what really happened.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Rabek

Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:17 am

Voxumo wrote:
Rabek wrote: Since that's not the question being asked, I will give my answer: given precedent set by Kinaed in other areas of the game, the only consistent stance to take is to ban players from having more than one character in a guild, regardless of other factors (such as one player accruing too much power in a guild; something that is not so easily sorted out as Voxumo seems to believe).
If a character has too much power in a guild, there is one simple thing characters who don't iike that power control can do... Kill the character. I say character and not players because if a character truly has as much power in a guild as people are claiming, then it's a matter of IC, and as such IC actions can be taken. Character A, C and D don't like Character's B monopoly in a guild, then they should conspire to ruin or kill character B, instead of seeking a policy to diminish their power.

Somebody can have all the alts in the world in a single guild, but if the playerbase doesn't feed into their grab for power, it amounts to nil. So if somebody has that much power, it is likely IC based. Take care of it ICly.

I think you're misunderstanding the problem here. The problem is not that Character B has too much power in the guild. The problem is that if someone has two characters in a guild with ten people, they control 20% of the vote for any given action (guilding a character, guild votes, etc) while everyone else controls 10%. That's double the influence. More if they have more of the percentage.

Given people are not required to reveal their alts, this could happen without any way for people to know in order to report possible policy concerns. Even if they do report it, it can be very difficult to prove alt crossover in these cases. Kinaed's linked post handily reveals how complex it can be and how much investigation is required.

Multiple alts in the same guild will make such investigations utterly inevitable with the game's current policies. It's simply impossible to keep things so that only one of your alts in a guild gets involved in any particular guild-related plotline without explicitly telling people about your alts (which is discouraged as-is) so they can avoid it and acting in a fashion that is out-of-character for your characters to avoid it.

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:13 am

Rabek wrote:Multiple alts in the same guild will make such investigations utterly inevitable with the game's current policies. It's simply impossible to keep things so that only one of your alts in a guild gets involved in any particular guild-related plotline without explicitly telling people about your alts (which is discouraged as-is) so they can avoid it and acting in a fashion that is out-of-character for your characters to avoid it.
The game's current policies? You mean policies that have been in place for quite sometime now, that haven't' really changed, except to maybe clarify further? And no, it's not impossible, it just takes a little bloody responsibility on the player's part, but that seems to be lacking this day and age.
And no, you don't have to tell people about your alts to get out of a guild related plot. There were many times in the order I had to say "Hey, I can't get involved in this due to ooc reasons." and strangely enough it wasn't because another alt of mine was in the guild, but because I played a mage on another alt. And guess what, 9 out of 10 times folks were okay with that, and understanding. But then again that was during a very different time in the game, where we didn't seem to have as much trivial issues as we do now... IE a year ago.
Lurks the Forums

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:36 am

At the moment, most Guilds are set to require only one sponsor, so assuming someone doesn't sponsor themselves and each char develops unique relationships with people - how does this influence sponsorships.

Metrics voting does not allow doubling up and you only get one vote in a Gambit period across an account. So I'm curious how this voting power manifests.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:52 am

I don't think he means literal voting, but rather magnitude of sway on any given decision.

• Information