Why Are Assets Limited to Chargen?

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:22 pm

Puciek wrote:There are also ways to fundraise as guilds, especially order/knights but I so rarely see RP around that. Why not hit up the wealthy gentry for a set of steel armour or horses for your knights? Can be done in friendly fundraiser way, or more aggressive fashion.
HA! The fact you are expecting a gentry to be willing to pay close to 1000 silver for a single set of steel armour given the current silver situation... I can't tell if you are being serious or not.
Lurks the Forums

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:46 pm

Why not hit up the wealthy gentry for a set of steel armour or horses for your knights? Can be done in friendly fundraiser way, or more aggressive fashion.
I'm not disagreeing with those ideas, but ... given that with this change the person who are likely to have the most money will likely be cyans, should aggressively asking cyans for money be a thing?

I think something honestly that would help some of this would be if people got some of the starting equip for an app-in role. We need people to fulfill these vital positions for the health of the game and RP and theme.

Famine

Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:03 pm

I'm so confused by this change and the thread haha.

What does this mean for someone like me who is super casual and obviously missed whatever cutoff time to do whatever? I'm just a poor baddy with like 200 silver. I take it, farm up XP to buy an asset off the market that represents my job?

Niamh
Discord Handle: Niamh#3824

Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:24 pm

Hey Famine! Please get in touch with Staff in-game. We'll help walk you through the process.

Puciek

Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:49 am

Voxumo wrote:
Puciek wrote:There are also ways to fundraise as guilds, especially order/knights but I so rarely see RP around that. Why not hit up the wealthy gentry for a set of steel armour or horses for your knights? Can be done in friendly fundraiser way, or more aggressive fashion.
HA! The fact you are expecting a gentry to be willing to pay close to 1000 silver for a single set of steel armour given the current silver situation... I can't tell if you are being serious or not.
Many can right now and will continue to be able to for a very long time given how deep their coffers are. And if one person can't give 1k silver, hit up three people for 333. It's not mission impossible, someone with couple high metric assets is still making nice bank.
Starstarfish wrote:
Why not hit up the wealthy gentry for a set of steel armour or horses for your knights? Can be done in friendly fundraiser way, or more aggressive fashion.
I'm not disagreeing with those ideas, but ... given that with this change the person who are likely to have the most money will likely be cyans, should aggressively asking cyans for money be a thing?

I think something honestly that would help some of this would be if people got some of the starting equip for an app-in role. We need people to fulfill these vital positions for the health of the game and RP and theme.
It's a wrong assumption that cyans will or do have the most money right now, there is still tons of silver on the streets right that can be collected. And people filling roles, gear/xp/silver was not a problem before and people still didn't fill the knightly roles so now putting the blame on this change cannot be right as it's a new change.

Apps never came with rewards, and they don't have to, three players who want to train combat skills together can max themselves for free, and in relatively short time. The three knights with good skills and good teamwork will overcome almost any combat situation on the grid, even without expensive horses and plate armours, you really can do those roles without a big budget.

But that seems like an idea for a separate topic if you want to know why people don't want to fill in knight roles and how that can be improved. Could also ask icly.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Starstarfish

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:35 am

I know Knights was the example at hand, but there are other roles being highly sought to be filled. I was not seeking to place blame on any situation but besmirch the idea that only oldbies who "can afford it" should be whom we seek for roles. Versus say an RPXP starting bonus for taking a role that has been unfilled for a time. That has applied to many positions over time in various Guilds.

Puciek

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:42 am

Starstarfish wrote:I know Knights was the example at hand, but there are other roles being highly sought to be filled. I was not seeking to place blame on any situation but besmirch the idea that only oldbies who "can afford it" should be whom we seek for roles. Versus say an RPXP starting bonus for taking a role that has been unfilled for a time. That has applied to many positions over time in various Guilds.
You can post this as a feature suggestion, but I absolutely disagree that only oldbies should be filling the roles - as explained in the previous post you don't need to be an expert in the position to fill the slot. Quite frankly you can be absolutely incompetent at it (skills wise) and play it just fine. You seriously can do it, and then learn the skill ropes on the grid with very valid RP that will also earn XP to trigger those skills.
Knights are a handy example as they are a very expensive slot (if you want to enter maxed you will need 100qp+ besides the exp to spend) that recently struggles to get filled. But you really don't need those maxed skills to fill them in, as multiple proficient fighters take down a master.

And quite honestly people don't join knights because it's the opposite of newbie friendly. No one goes around trying to recruit knights, the help files and boards are from 2013 and there is little show that people are willing to change that. So an actual new player in Knights is likely going to have a bad time. If you want an influx of players, you have to go out and get them, not build it and wait till they come. And a big part of the 2013 mentality is the need for master level skills to be allowed to do anything useful in knights, which is just another relict of the past.
Last edited by Puciek on Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

Famine

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:49 am

Starstarfish wrote:I know Knights was the example at hand, but there are other roles being highly sought to be filled. I was not seeking to place blame on any situation but besmirch the idea that only oldbies who "can afford it" should be whom we seek for roles. Versus say an RPXP starting bonus for taking a role that has been unfilled for a time. That has applied to many positions over time in various Guilds.
Here is my perspective thus far now I'm starting to learn the system along with my opinion on the whole system around economy and whatnot that I think you guys are talking about.

I only play criminals. I really like the idea that I can create an asset that reflects a job of mugging people. There is what looks to be a few criminal templates that can lead to an interesting set of assets that help fill the role of a criminal. The system has a cool D&D feel where you are given a template to create whatever you like, which seems cool as hell.

The only thing I worry about is how you acquire additional assets. It seems a bit confusing outside of the marketplace, which seems easy to understand. Outside of purchasing additional assets in chargen, where else is someone on my lower status going to acquire and potentially even sell assets beyond this? I very much would love to work towards a criminal enterprise, even on a smaller scale.

On the topic of economy and whatnot. I very much do believe that injecting money into the economy is going to help it. For example, in the US, there is a big debate on raising the minimum wage because those who work for minimum wage are not able to afford a basic living without working more than one job. There is a few different opinions on this to raise or leave it. One of which is that by raising it, will mean more people have money, thus it will lead to increase spending, which leads to helping the economy. I do believe that's true.

However, when it comes to giving out free unlimited money, even in games where you can purchase in-game currency for real-life money, I do think it devalues items in that economy. This is not because people will not want to spend that money they get (the people who make up the demand of the market), but because the people supplying that demand have no further use for the in-game currency because they have unlimited supply of money too. Thus, what is the point outside of roleplay reasons? Thus, slowing down that process seems like a good idea to create a huge demand, which will then hopefully lead to a healthy need for supply for those willing to find it.

Most games thrive off the fact that not only do you want to craft, farm, whatever to get income to buy cool things (i.e.: the demand), but also the fact that you want to craft and sell to get income to buy other things too (i.e.: the supply). If both sides are fat and rich (i.e.: supply has no reason to supply and demand has no reason to demand), the economy stalls and becomes stale. Thus, limiting this and putting into a system where you do not have an unlimited supply makes that demand grow in terms of both sides needing ways to make an income, which feeds to a healthier game system around the in-game economy.

Puciek

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:58 am

You could run a plot to build the said asset, it will be a long expensive and gruelling process, but that is one of the ways to create an asset of your dreams.

Starstarfish

Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:09 am

Thus, limiting this and putting into a system where you do not have an unlimited supply makes that demand grow in terms of both sides needing ways to make an income, which feeds to a healthier game system around the in-game economy.
Hmm, one difficulty is that there is an unlimited supply for a lot of things on grid via the NPC shops. So besides the things that only show up on occasion tied to metrics/plots etc or you need to QP for, there is never really true "scarcity" to items. Silver, arguably, but not items. So a lot of the normal behaviors in a market that would allow a flow of supply/demand don't happen. It's hard to do things like stockpile when most items are always available.

Which isn't to say that I don't appreciate and understand why that's the case, to prevent things stagnating and allow folks to play/operate outside of needing to rely on others, however, that's a big aspect of economic currently. Now, granted, maybe when the ability to get items through assets goes through, that can introduce some interesting potential rare items unique to some folks in a way that goes beyond the OOC ability to string. I think that might be a really interesting thing to consider - some rare assets for things that currently can only be gotten through the metrics and/or QP that would add some rarities to acquire from other players.

• Information