Why Are Assets Limited to Chargen?

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:04 pm

Starstarfish wrote:What sort of skills was he able to have with that set-up?
According to Temi's post, he was able to have 11 ranks in Mercantilism. Also by default I imagine he had 62 ranks in Lithmorran.
Lurks the Forums

Taunya

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:47 am

Well, she did say
It's not a well rounded concept, but it does show where money can be with a focus on that.
I suppose it could work for some concepts, who don't need any skills.
But does seem like gentry should have some sort of discount on this, or a free tier 2 instead of tier 1 if things stay as they are.
Seems silly for new players who choose the Gentle life to have to either be capable but poor, or rich but incompetent.

Between the two, at least you can learn skills easily enough on grid later with exp. But I think it's going to be exceedingly difficult to purchase assets, if they stay gold-only on-grid. So we'll just have to deal with a bunch of bumbling rich folks for a while in the meantime.

Temi

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:15 am

Taunya wrote:Well, she did say
It's not a well rounded concept, but it does show where money can be with a focus on that.
I suppose it could work for some concepts, who don't need any skills.
But does seem like gentry should have some sort of discount on this, or a free tier 2 instead of tier 1 if things stay as they are.
Seems silly for new players who choose the Gentle life to have to either be capable but poor, or rich but incompetent.

Between the two, at least you can learn skills easily enough on grid later with exp. But I think it's going to be exceedingly difficult to purchase assets, if they stay gold-only on-grid. So we'll just have to deal with a bunch of bumbling rich folks for a while in the meantime.
Well, this is with just the starter xp. It's supposed to be enough to get enough meat into a concept for it to be worth playing, not necessarily to flesh out all concepts. This was just looking at what you could do if you just wanted to focus on money. It's not an amount of money we expect for every gentry to have.

In a slight variation, take away a last L1 asset from Mcrichie, and he has 304 income in silver this week, 325 on average. He then had 6300 xp left for skills. After a few purchases, he was competent with mercantilism (26), capable at ride (15) and unskilled at art (12). A little more depth of a rich gentry concept with no extra xp spent.

Of course there's many thematic gentry concepts with much more depth in skills, but we hope they are worth a bit of investment or growing into.

Andruid

Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:03 pm

Still think gentry should be entitled to a Tier 2 as part of the purchase price for playing gentry.

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:46 pm

I would like to propose the idea of there being a way with QP or RPXP to change the metric that an asset of yours follows. As the asset you created in chargen (or bought during the purchaser period if you are an older char) does not necessarily reflect your character for an entire length of their lives.

IE - A person who rolled in a character designed as a Reeve who went turn-coat and joined the Brotherhood might need to ditch a pro-Lawfulness asset

Putting this asset up for sale on the board with your name attached might be kind of a sign you are up to something you shouldn't be. As gamey and slightly meta as that is (how IC are assets for sale meant to be). Granted you wouldn't want someone swapping all the time, so perhaps it can only be done so often, etc?

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:55 am

You can use IP to participate in the Council "vote".

LonelyNeptune

Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:39 am

I think the suggestion was to change which metric is associated with your asset (eg. lawfulness to health), not to influence the metrics themselves.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:25 am

Uh oh, Kinaed was caught skimming. :P

I don't think we'd allow that because the metrics that an asset CAN be attached to are based on the representation across the board (eg, we don't want every merchant hooking up with economics). In chargen, what's available is directly dictated by the system based on what is not over-represented.

• Information