Why Are Assets Limited to Chargen?

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Rhothrian

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:15 pm

I'm trying to wrap my mind around this concept and to understand what you are trying to achieve here, other than obviously limiting silver generation by drastic amounts. I get the need to remove purchase silver as it was responsible for everyone and anyone with enough RPXP to access silver in unthematic ways. I get the general implementation of assets and the number/levels you can have based on social class. These two things in and of themselves is enough to put things in proper perspective.

After the grace period was up and we could no longer simply create an asset from anywhere on grid I assumed that you could at least go to the records office and if you had the coin available you could create an asset. This was not the case and now assets can only be bought in chargen or from the town hall records office AFTER someone has sold one to the market.

If these are the main source of income for everyone now and it will literally take IC weeks for many characters gentry or not to earn what could be purchased for RPXP in a couple of days of RP, what would be the motivation for anyone to ever sell an asset and make one available on the market? Had I known that this grace period was going to more likely than not be the only chance I would have to see another asset I would probably have made some different decisions. This wasn't very clear to me.

Puciek

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:44 pm

Assets will go to the market not only when someone sells them but possibly also after characters deaths, just like auction house does. There may be/are some staff spawned assets on the market, not sure where that part of discussion ended.

When it's limited to chargen it means that the assets you create are unique to your character, that this is what you've built up so far in your life and bring onto the grid. It may be a job, it may be some business out of lithmore, it may be stipend from a rich relative. Moving the decision of what assets you would have outside of chargen makes little sense, as they define a lot about your character and its welfare. Suddenly having a tier 2/3 asset would be a massive change in someone's life, and should not come out magically like silver used to, but instead, from the limited pool of available assets joined by roleplaying.
Becuase that is what asset creation outside of chargen is - a magical creation of something, out of nowhere, that didn't exist before but has a major impact. I may see a point in having tier 1 assets creatable on the fly, those mostly represent minor jobs/shops, but those also would be highly competed for, and not abundantly available.
And if you have gold flying around and looking to invest, well, this isn't a modern world where we have a stock market and companies all around interested in buying. Opportunities to do so would be very limited in the dark ages we rp in, and that represents it well. You could, of course, offer to buy someone's asset, at much higher price than he has paid, maybe he would rather have that big wad of cash instead. Or just threaten them into selling it ;).

I wonder, why didn't you just buy the assets that would make sense for your character, and instead you've postponed it?
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

Rhothrian

Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:26 pm

Puciek wrote:I wonder, why didn't you just buy the assets that would make sense for your character, and instead you've postponed it?
I was 200 silver short and a day too late before this patch took away the option.

Puciek

Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:31 pm

Rhothrian wrote:
Puciek wrote:I wonder, why didn't you just buy the assets that would make sense for your character, and instead you've postponed it?
I was 200 silver short and a day too late before this patch took away the option.
You could have bought them with XP though, I guess it would take you into negative but well, that's something to then make up as time and rp go. Pretty sure staff will consider it if you will request board it.

Taunya

Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:40 pm

I took care of mine in time, but I do think 2 weeks was a bit too short. I know several rather newish players who are past cyan who were working hard to get the XP in time, but didn't make it. I do hope at least req board requests are granted for a while.

Rhothrian

Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:05 pm

Puciek wrote:You could have bought them with XP though, I guess it would take you into negative but well, that's something to then make up as time and rp go. Pretty sure staff will consider it if you will request board it.
I didn't know that was an option and what other case would set a precedence for going negative in RPXP. How would a player know this was possible?
Puciek wrote: Pretty sure staff will consider it if you will request board it.
I already went that route and was basically told I was too late.
Last edited by Rhothrian on Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Puciek

Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:08 pm

Rhothrian wrote:
Puciek wrote: Pretty sure staff will consider it if you will request board it.
I already went that route and was basically told I was too late.
Well, then that's done and dusted. If you disagree with some of the reasons I've listed in my original response, feel free to comment.

Rabek

Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:30 pm

This is needlessly punishing to new players (who don't have all the XP as older players, who are going to have yet another advantage over newbies; not to mention many may not even understand the system and miss out on buying any before their cyan period runs out, like nearly happened to a friend I recruited), doesn't make any sense ICly (why can't I buy or build a brewery as an asset when I can as a player-shop, exactly?), and doesn't make any sense OOCly (as stated, nobody is ever going to sell if you can't replace what you sell; even if deaths put things on the asset market, this doesn't change the fact that you're discouraging sales... and deaths putting them on the asset market removes the 'unique to your character' justification listed above).

They need to be purchasable with silver. There is no other advantage in the game that you can take in chargen but can't earn in-game, even if some of them (advancing in class or magery, mostly) are exceedingly rare due to the roleplay necessary to achieve them.

Are you telling me that freemen becoming gentry are more common and attainable than gentry expanding their business network?

For the record, I maxed out my assets during the grace period. I'm not losing anything in the current setup; in fact, I have my oldbie superiority to maintain by keeping the status quo, what with my exceedingly large amounts of XP. I just find this to be poorly thought out and detrimental to the game as it stands.

Taunya

Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:51 pm

If an oldbie with a bunch of xp wants to bankroll a new alt, creating then selling a bunch of tier 2s and 3s on the market right now would probably far exceed the returns on purchase wealth.

Rabek

Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:35 pm

I somehow doubt that would be worthwhile, given two points:

1. You can only ever have six levels of assets.
2. You aren't allowed to go back to chargen to buy stuff you couldn't when you were first in chargen (oldbies abusing cyan period like this is explicitly called out in help files), so you couldn't buy six levels, sell them, then buy six more.

So "a bunch" is three at most, and then that PC would never have any income again, unless it's a guild paycheck or selling to PCs. And given the XP costs of assets, I doubt you'd make more silver than you'd get from XP if you were rolling gentry.

• Information