Guild Skills Restriction

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Fri May 26, 2017 6:25 pm

Staff discussed the issue of players taking multiple trades with players in OOC Chat 2 weeks running, though eventually it resulted in my consulting with the Merchants Guild members directly. Several members responded to a pboard request from me asking for their views. Many were relaxed, at least two were not and genuinely saw multiple trade skills on a single character as a problem.

Staff also observed players in chargen literally taking 1 rank in every trade skill, presumably just so they could learn it in-game without a teacher. We felt that was extremely OOC, and if backgrounds did exist to cover that 1 rank, they probably were made up as an excuse to have a rank in a skill rather than the rank in the skill being the natural result of the background.

This change was our response. I'm glad to see that, whereas some players do not agree with the change, others do. Alas, that's sadly often how it often goes when making changes.

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Sat May 27, 2017 12:20 pm

Thank you for the response, Kinaed.

People have noted there are some folks with like hundreds of thousands of death XP waiting for them when a character they have bites it. My concern is that because there's only one clanned combat Guildskill - sword that a lot of folks are going to sink a lot of their rpxp into combat skills which is going to sort of change the balance of the game and how to handle some major theme elements if everyone's a super fighter.

IE - what will people use their starting rpxp on now if they can't pick skills to flesh out their background? If there's no need to preserve the RPXP for more trade skills which traditionally has been a reason for picking a Freeman over a Gentry char, is that going to swing the balance more towards the upper end?

If some of these things happen, will there be a reconsideration of this rule?

Puciek

Sat May 27, 2017 12:46 pm

Just because there is XP to burn, doesn't mean that you must put it in that specific character, though there are some concepts that are massive XP sinks with often negative return on death.

But on combat skills, you are still limited to gaining the maximum rank of 36 in combat skills in chargen, and mastering all types of weapons doesn't really carry a direct benefit. They don't cross benefit like trade skills do simply enable you to fight well with all sort of weapons. There could be some play with that around ranges, but that really doesn't require more than 2 weapons to be effective and prepared (and trying to juggle 7 weapons in combat scene would be hilarious), maybe with the addition of a bow or throwing for the extra long bouts.

And training combat skills out of chargen is expensive, especially if you want to take them to 75s, because unless you cheese out the trainers by, for example, sleeping there to regenerate and thus making a single session really long, the number of gains on later levels is tiny. And it costs a fortune to get even couple combat skills to the GM levels on trainers alone. Even if you do that, in actual combat you won't be better than someone with only 2 weapons and 3 defences.
Blake Evernight tells you, "You, Sir, won my heart today. Are you single?"

• Information