The Council and Deviations from Theme

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Geras

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:40 pm

So some talk about second GLs got me thinking.

Could maybe one of the powers of the Council be that once per "term" (6 OOC months) they can vote to give special dispensation to something related to the class/race theme here.

One example already around is ennoblement.

Another could be making a Charali/Hillfolk eligible to be a second GL.

So my thinking in terms of having this as a process at all is it makes the Seneschal elections and the council itself more relevant if they provide something that's rare and desirable.

And for the second GL thing - I think there are so few Charali and Hillfolk players already that they could use a break, and I don't think bending the theme is bad if it's not ubiquitous. So if there's some sort of limiting factor that would be ideal.

Ideally there could be a few other things the Council could do?

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:03 am

I do agree that it would be nice for the council to actually have special things they can do versus just being glorified janitors of the city, making sure things stay clean and the way they should.

Though only adressing the two points you brought up, the ennoblement does not work as the council, or more importantly the Seneschal, as defined by kinaed, is the mayor of lithmore city. Their power is on a city level versus a kingdom level like the keeper of the seal was. For them to ennoble makes no sense. On top of that noble slots are limited, so if they even had the authority to enoble, it could only be done when there were slots. Not to mention coming up with an icly logical reason to ennoble, as there is a limited number of domains, and it's unlikely leaders of domains would be dying off or removed in 2 ic year timeframes to make way for new nobles.

Of course the route that Farin and Vavard take with granting lands to Knights and highly influential soldiers could work, but would still require some stretching of theme as I doubt Vavard or Farin would appreciate having land taken from them, especially if it is given to someone they didn't choose. I doubt they give such land to any soldiers, but probably only ones they deem "Manageable"

As for the Charali/Hillfolk thing, I was under the impression there was no limitation there in regards to 2nd gls or even 1st gls. First and Second Gl's aren't required to become gentry, and as for Great Lord GL's, it's even defined as a title that is not automatic, but say the Earl Marshall can still be EM without being a Great Lord if the Council, I forget which one, does not approve of them. Thus that would explain how a Charali/Hillfolk could hold a position such as EM without being a Great Lord, aka Nobility, simply because a group is holding them back.

Though I think the reason we haven't seen many Charali/Hillfolk GLs is, as you say, there are so few, and they typically don't achieve high enough ranks in guilds to reasonably claim GL spots. The only one presently I'm aware of that would make a fine 2nd GL is Jozafet simply because of how long he's been in the reeves.

Of course my understanding of the Charali/Hillfolk could be completely wrong, as I only recently created my first Hillfolk character, but just basing this off my understanding.

n summary, suggestions presently made, not feasible without stretching council's power and theme, or possibly already in play. But definitely would love to see Council have more special powers.
Lurks the Forums

Geras

Mon May 01, 2017 2:02 am

Yah, there's a code restriction to Charali and Hillfolk. I'm suggesting the Council should have the power to override that once per 6 months. And it's a Lithmore-only position typically (second GL) so it would make sense.

• Information