[Poll] Should we bar the use of names and clear identifiers in the rumor system?

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Should rumors hide people's names or outright identifiers?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:02 pm

Yes
31%
No
62%
Maybe, comments below
8%

Total votes: 13
Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:02 pm

Should rumors require the identification of individuals to be in vague terms only? What would it be like if rumors like "Kinaed set the cathedral on fire" could only say "A charali woman set the cathedral on fire" in the rumor system? Would that be a positive change?

We're also toying with if names might be acceptable, but blanked out with other characteristics of a character randomly assigned like 'A charali woman' instead of 'Kinaed' unless the player hearing the rumor knows Kinaed very well (familiarity). This may be hard to implement, however.

Thoughts and opinions?

SilverMoon

Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:10 pm

Yes, I think this would be a great change. Because then you'd really have to know the person to know what the rumor is about. Especially if you think on the rumor subtext, of like "a chatty nurse replies to a bit of gossip" or like "a street cleaner says" that person saying those things, wouldn't know people's names. Especially in such a large city, you wouldn't know their names, more on what they look like. I think this would add another layer to the rumor system.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:13 pm

I sort of like the idea too, but I do worry a bit that it's a lot of programming for minimal value - and also that it might have unwanted negative side effects that I'm just not smart enough to think about in the 'oo shiny!' of the moment. :)

Geras

Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:55 pm

I think ideally maybe how likely you are to get the name have something to do with their influence? IE the more notorious you are the more likely your name is well known by the random street cleaners. That being said, I'm not sure this should really be a high priority. I hear gossip about people who I don't know personally all the time too.

Rabek

Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:34 pm

If people are starting rumors about Countess So-and-So, people would indeed know their names.

Particularly with GLs, being vague may just make the rumors utterly pointless a week after they were created and the GL has been replaced.

It seems unrealistic to ban names when most of the people who have rumors about them are well-known. I see no benefit OOCly or ICly.

chronodbu

Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:34 pm

Sort of feel names in rumors would be rather common. Folks when they talk smack about each other tend to be all "So bruh u heard bout Kenny?" They don't tend to talk in vague terms. I could see them eventually spinning that far but... doesn't feel as natural to me for some reason.

Pixie

Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:43 pm

chronodbu wrote:Sort of feel names in rumors would be rather common. Folks when they talk smack about each other tend to be all "So bruh u heard bout Kenny?" They don't tend to talk in vague terms. I could see them eventually spinning that far but... doesn't feel as natural to me for some reason.
Okay, but why Kenny?

chronodbu

Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:45 pm

Why not Kenny?

Pixie

Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:46 pm

LEAVE KENNY ALONE

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:44 pm

Got to agree with Chronodbu here, hence why I voted no. Names and identifiers should be allowed.
Lurks the Forums

• Information