A general frustration of mine(and possibly others)

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:05 pm

Kinaed wrote:I'll discuss with staff. Either we can make more places private and remove the whereRP toggle, or we can make more places public and leave the toggle in place.

Honestly, I like people who want to hide having to work at it. *cough*
Honestly I think it would be more frustrating for a new player to see this massive where list, yet majority of those locations to be unreachable. I mean where is suppose to be for finding rp, and if somebody is just idling in their locked phome, pooling skills, well they aren't exactly asking for rp.
Lurks the Forums

Zeita

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:13 pm

I've suggested before that we colour code, on where the following differently; publicly accessible rooms, guild only areas and inaccessible home areas. It will help the newbies (and others!) to know what can and can't be reacher.

Geras

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:18 pm

Zeita wrote:I've suggested before that we colour code, on where the following differently; publicly accessible rooms, guild only areas and inaccessible home areas. It will help the newbies (and others!) to know what can and can't be reacher.
Unless you're blind or colour blind. I'm always leery of important information being conveyed in a way that isn't very accessible to everyone.

Zeita

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:31 pm

Then put a tag of some sort on it to indicate as well, the same theory applies to make them distinguishable.

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:40 pm

I'd say phomes should default to being private, there's ways of seeing if someone is home without phomes being on WhereRP. (Like is their horse parked outside. ;) ) And mostly for that reason, if I'm in my phome there's a good risk I'm mostly idling or spamming and don't want to unfairly give someone the impression I'm up for RP. But if I don't mind folks stopping by and knocking, seeing if I'm home I like the option to toggle it.

But should you be able to hide your WhereRP status randomly walking down the street in front of arguably NPCs and virtual population? You are hiding who you are by going off visnet, but that someone saw you, eh.

Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:27 pm

It's hard to detect how accessible a room people are in is for color-coding whereRP.

Starstarfish
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:37 pm

There's also absolutely nothing wrong with avoiding RP you don't want.
The more I've thought about this idea, the more it's started to niggle at me. We have threads where people argue you shouldn't be able to avoid PK or death if you don't want it - because it might make sense for the RP of others. Overall the game puts forth the idea that things can and will happen to your PC without your permission at times.

So ... what's with the idea that people can just totally avoid having to potentially run into or RP with people they don't like by using an OOC system. How is that not within the realm of RP avoidance if you are in a public place and pretending you aren't to avoid RP?

myarta

Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:48 pm

Today when I logged in there were 21 players on, and where list had 3 entries, and one was some sort of private home I didn't know where it was. If I were new, it might be frustrating trying to find RP when it seems like EVERYONE is busy doing their own private whatever they're doing. Or perhaps when people see a visnet welcome for a new newbie and then shortly after see someone at a major inn they might make an effort to mosey on down. I scened with one last night for an hour or two for that reason. This isn't a complaint, just an observation to add a data point to the earlier discussion, about an area that can be off-putting sometimes for people just getting on for a Saturday afternoon and looking for things to do.

Rabek

Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:13 pm

Where is an entirely OOC system to help those who want RP to find it. If people don't want to find RP, they don't have to use this entirely OOC system. PK and death are not OOC systems. If someone comes to you and wants to kill you, you can't just type 'toggle death off' to opt out. Comparing the two is somewhat ridiculous. In the case of avoiding death, the only cheating option is to use OOC mechanics. Nobody is going to complain if you avoid death by fleeing or fighting back. With the Where command, using the system is the OOC mechanic. Opting out is not OOC. It's the more IC, more realistic option. Equating avoiding death to opting out of Where is silly.

Indeed, plenty of games have no 'where' system at all and do just fine. If having an empty 'where' is detrimental to the game, then we can suggest an equally valid solution that relies less on forcing OOC mechanics on people; we could remove the Where system entirely.

There is nothing wrong with opting out of an OOC system that you don't want to be involved with. Turning off where is no different than turning off autowarn or travel_swim. Where is a convenience tool, that is all.

As it is right now, it serves its purpose: people who want RP with new or random people can either use it to find someone to RP with or leave it on and wait for someone to come to them.

If I want someone to RP with, I'll use the IC methods of messengers and letters.

Azi

Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:47 pm

a slightly more serious concern on my part related to above: when i flee an attacker, i don't want to be stuck with 'where' on so they can track me by it; if i'm eavesdropping on a room, i don't want to broadcast that i'm one room over. ideally giving out where i am wouldn't affect the rp at all, but it's less satisfying to be caught when you know you were tracked via the travel command

• Information