[Poll] Familiarity (RPxp) Required for Finish

Talk about anything TI here! Also include suggestions for the game, website, and these forums.

Moderators: Maeve, Maeve

Should Finish have a familiarity RPxp requirement?

Poll ended at Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:27 pm

Yes
33%
No
53%
Maybe
13%

Total votes: 15
Kinaed
Discord Handle: ParaVox3#7579

Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:27 pm

Greetings,

During our OOC Chat this week, it came up that some players don't like the familiarity requirement (earn 1,000 RPxp with your target) before being able to finalize a non-consensual PK. The pbase during the OOC Chat seemed fairly split on their views (we've added a caveat to the help file for clarity purposes), so I thought we'd run a poll to see how people feel this ought to be treated.

Warm regards,
Kinaed

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:16 am

I voted maybe... I don't think it should have a familiarity requirement, but instead a time played requirement. Part of the reason you said this was initiated in the first place was due to random people coming in, creating characters and going on a killing spree. Well if we make it so that you require a certain amount of time played, longer than simply losing cyan status, I would think that this would nullify that risk, as people who come in for the killing spree purpose likely won't be willing to invest that type of time. I also think cnotes should still be required and that a clear motive/reason for the pkill should be stated, yet another reason randoms would be unlikely to succeed in killing sprees.

This also prevents a very damning manipulation of the policy in which a character with a substantial network and influence is pretty much immune from revenge, due to the fact they can willingly avoid rping with the player they are screwing over through subterfuge and thus preventing death/assassination from being a reasonable consequence.
Lurks the Forums

Noobus

Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:10 am

I second the above.
Zellos Syllus, Beorhtmund ab Gladnor, Jemven Lynilin

Hansel

Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:23 am

I am not a fan of this idea.

I believe that roleplaying with your victim is a bare minimum in a roleplaying game -- writing a story with your victim, during OOC months, would be my personal preference.

The fact that some people avoid rp to prevent the consequences of their action is, imho, another matter, which could maybe be solved on a case by case basis.

And if people want more death in TI, then, I can offer an idea: Throwing characters, which have a boost in chargen, but have a limited life -- 2 or 3 OOC months for example -- when the deadline is reached, they have an accident, and die. If they die before that deadline the player earns RPXP and/or QP. Such throwing characters could be villains or victims, and improve the darkness of TI. They could also help people willing to shape a long term character to earn the needed RPXP and QP to match their goal.

Geras

Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:01 pm

Unless it's 1,000 XP to arrest someone, this will create a very uneven playing field. And I don't think such a requirement would work. At the very least this needs to be reworked IMHO.

myarta

Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:23 pm

Arrest surely doesn't result in death nearly as often as 'Finish' does, right? It's a fairly high rate but it's not the 95%+ of what I would expect Finish to be.

Voxumo
Discord Handle: Voxumo#7925

Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:25 pm

myarta wrote:Arrest surely doesn't result in death nearly as often as 'Finish' does, right? It's a fairly high rate but it's not the 95%+ of what I would expect Finish to be.
I can't speak for the reeves, but order side, typically arrests are made once enough evidence is gathered to know said person is a mage, so I would say arrest on the order side typically always results in death.
Lurks the Forums

Starstarfish
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
2018 Cookery Contest Winner!
Discord Handle: Starstarfish#4572

Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:34 pm

I honestly would admit that I'm one of those players who has a concern with this. As someone who might be a person who sometimes likes to have more socially antagonistic RP with others - verbal altercations, backhanded compliments, petty insults, etc - I have the slight concern that without a minimum requirement of RPing (whether that's set with an rpxp limit or otherwise) with others that's going to really dampen my desire to RP that kind of character(s). With no minimum - can a single agitating interaction or scene with another character be enough reason to murder them or want them murdered?

What's the depth of RP expected to have a reason to want to have someone killed? What's a good list of reasons?

Also, Order characters are given the advice that going hardcore after arresting people even mages who are clearly mages without proper RP and contacting the Knights is playing the game to win (and get PKs) versus playing the long game and telling a story. But if rogue types don't have the same idea because they want more PKs, that makes things sort of uneven.

I feel like it sort of takes away from the RP based experience if game sort of morphs into Assassins Creed where people are being taken out right, left, and centre. Granted I haven't been in the community that long to know whether or not that's a fair risk, but it is a concern.

Geras

Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:23 pm

Thinking about this more, IMHO there should be a exception for situations where your own char's life is threatened through no direct action of your own. I'm not one to actually PK people, but I don't think Knights and Reeves should be able to raid mage and thief strongholds with impunity. I personally likely wouldn't use this option, but I think the threat of real consequences is important. Maybe subject to imm approval? IE you finish and then Imms review if it was done as a matter of defense?

Has there been a rash of random PKills lately though? And wouldn't those fall afoul of existing rules? It seems like a solution looking for a problem.

Geras

Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:28 pm

I'd point out too there are cases where you need to silence someone or else your character might as well be dead.

• Information